Hair Gel

hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
Anyone out there have any suggestions for a CG friendly hair gel that is also alcohol free?? I just need a little bit of extra hold in my styling routine. Thanks!!!
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Comments

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    These gels are all CG and, I believe, have no alcohol:

- Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray Gel

- LA Looks Curl Mega Hold Gel

- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Gellie
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Thanks so much!! I will definitely check those out!!

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    HETT, Got2B spiked up, and BRHG don't have alcohol. The gel I like is BRHG.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Thanks Pededah! I'm heading over to Target a little later and it'll probably end up being a toss-up between the Garnier Fructis and the HETT. After I wash and style my hair on Wednesday, I'll post to let the verdict be known to other curious curlies!

Stylers-

HE SMU has more hold then HETT. You may want to get that one instead. Some wavies use HE Body envy. That might work too. HETT doensn't have a strong enough hold for most wavies.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Gotcha. I definitely need something with some hold! I feel like since I stopped using mousse and gel my hair has gone completely flat and has no volume or anything. 2nd day hair is a disaster now! Although the washcloth method that someone else has suggested helps a little bit.

Stylers-

LA looks curls and sports have a strong hold. I don't think they have alcohol, but you would have to check. BRHG has a very strong hold. Too strong for many, but I love it.
    I'd start with the LA looks. It is super cheap and works really well for lots of people. I hated it, but I still think it is worth trying in case it does work.
    Ok. I don't need or want a super strong hold, just something to keep my 'do going for a bit. I was thinking of maybe trying Curls Goddess Curl Gel. Have you used it? I'm currently using their Creme Brulee and like it a lot but would add some gel on top of that once I'm half way through pixie diffusing

Stylers-

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never used Curls Goddess.

I have also used Herbal Essences Set Me Up (HESMU), but it contains Benzyl Alcohol. Does that count as alcohol? This gel is really nice - not too heavy and smells really good. :)

My fave is the Garnier Fructis Spray Gel because it's light but it still holds pretty well.

Just a thought, for second day hair you may also want to try Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves Spray, too. It is both a curl refresher and defrizzer. Just spray it in your hair and scrunch. I love this stuff. :)
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • cleanteeth68cleanteeth68 Posts: 49Registered Users
    I'm new to this whole CG routine too.. and from a suggestion of another CG I started using the LA Looks Sport Gel... my hair has NEVER looked so shiny! I can't even believe that this stuff that is so cheap and can work so well! I'm used to spending alot more money on products! Give it a try:)
    Thanks gals!! I ended up buying the HETT last night and I love the way it smells!! I used a little today to hold the braid I was doing and tomorrow I'll use it as a part of my official routine. So I'm psyched to see how it goes!!! Thanks for all the tips!!

Stylers-

Thanks gals!! I ended up buying the HETT last night and I love the way it smells!! I used a little today to hold the braid I was doing and tomorrow I'll use it as a part of my official routine. So I'm psyched to see how it goes!!! Thanks for all the tips!!

My daughter uses the HE Tousle me Softly..and swears by it and she has GORGEOUS curls.. she doesnt like the HETT as well... in fact, she wont' use it at all! Good luck with your search.. I hear that the Curl Junkie Queen Gel is great too!
  • Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    I'm also new to CG and have been using Herbal Essencse Totally Twisted - it's pretty good stuff and smells really good. However, I haven't checked the label to see if it has alcohol in it, I'll have to do that.

Another thing I've been using is Suave's Healthy Curls Spray Gel. I like it alot but it dries with that "wet" look and my hair is hard. I don't care for the hard feel much. Once I'm done using that I probably won't buy it anymore.

I want to try the LA Looks gel. Thanks for the suggestion!
    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
    Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
    Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
    Debh366-Do you scrunch out the crunch after your gel is 100% dry. That breaks the cast the gel makes around the hair and gets rid of the wet crunchy look.
    Some gels on some people are just unscrunchable.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK I just wanted to note that sometimes when you see the word Alcohol on hair products it's a conditioning alcohol, not a drying one.

IAGirl probably has a list of these! But Cetyl Alcohol is one I think there's another one that starts with M...

Anyway, no need to run in horror if you see the word Alcohol, do a little more research first.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    here is a link on alcohols. The fatty alcohols are moisturizing.
    All About Alcohols | NaturallyCurly.com
    Day One of using HETT is successful! It defined my waves a lot more than when I was just using Creme Brulee alone. Hopefully it continues to work well for me!:icescream:

Stylers-

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Wow, that's great that you're getting the HETT to work! I hate that stuff -- I get zero definition and a bunch of stringy crunch. I gave my bottle away to a fellow CG after I painfully used up all that I could tolerate! :( Glad it's working well for you, though!

Pedaheh -- I heard you mention the Got2b Spiked Up gel. I'm seriously thinking about getting this for my next gel. Have you tried it? How do you like it? Then again, our hair is TOTALLY different, but I'd love to hear what you think of it anyway!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Pedaheh -- I heard you mention the Got2b Spiked Up gel. I'm seriously thinking about getting this for my next gel. Have you tried it? How do you like it? Then again, our hair is TOTALLY different, but I'd love to hear what you think of it anyway!
    I haven't tried a bazillion gels, but this was my fave before BRHG. It has a harder hold. It has glycerin, so I can't use it in winter. I liked it, but ultimately just it isn't BRHG, which is my HG.
    Cool! I will definitely get this when I need a new gel. I hear it's protein-free, too, which is a major bonus! My coarse curls will be in hair heaven! :D

Oh, and is BRHG found in the drugstores? I never see this stuff when I go to CVS or Friendly Drugs. I would totally get it if it isn't expensive!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    BRHG is in the drugstore, but it is pretty expensive for drugstore gel. About 13$ for 6oz. I got a bottle at walmart a year and a half ago, but my walmart doesn't carry it anymore. My k-mart and cvs have it. I bought a giant tub of BRGH from overstock, so I'm set for quite a while. Most people find they can mix it with their other gels and a little goes a long way. I like it straight up, but I like lots of hold.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cool! I will definitely get this when I need a new gel. I hear it's protein-free, too, which is a major bonus! My coarse curls will be in hair heaven! :D

Oh, and is BRHG found in the drugstores? I never see this stuff when I go to CVS or Friendly Drugs. I would totally get it if it isn't expensive!

Cheapest way to get BRHG is through Amazon subscribe-and-save.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    I found this disscussion and thought you might be interested. I ordered me some and got a tube for only $2.83. Read the thread, there is a coupon for iHerb.com and this is how I got it so cheap:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/117049-how-did-i-not-know-about-alba-strong-hold-gel-wow.html
    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
    Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
    Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    BRHG is in the drugstore, but it is pretty expensive for drugstore gel. About 13$ for 6oz. I got a bottle at walmart a year and a half ago, but my walmart doesn't carry it anymore. My k-mart and cvs have it. I bought a giant tub of BRGH from overstock, so I'm set for quite a while. Most people find they can mix it with their other gels and a little goes a long way. I like it straight up, but I like lots of hold.

WOW! That is expensive for a drugstore gel, but I hear exactly what you told me -- a little goes a long way. This would be perfect for me if they hacked the price in half -- I love me some hard hold gels!

Cheapest way to get BRHG is through Amazon subscribe-and-save.

Cool, thank you both! I am so styling product retarded. :tongue5:

Favorite...
    I haven't tried a bazillion gels, but this was my fave before BRHG. It has a harder hold. It has glycerin, so I can't use it in winter. I liked it, but ultimately just it isn't BRHG, which is my HG.[/QUOTE]

Ok.. I'm new to this.. what does BRHG stand for???
    I haven't tried a bazillion gels, but this was my fave before BRHG. It has a harder hold. It has glycerin, so I can't use it in winter. I liked it, but ultimately just it isn't BRHG, which is my HG.

Ok.. I'm new to this.. what does BRHG stand for??
    Sorry for the double post.. like i said.. I'm new to this!!!..:sleepy3:
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users

Ok.. I'm new to this.. what does BRHG stand for??

BRHG is Biosilk Rock Hard Gellee.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Ok. I don't need or want a super strong hold, just something to keep my 'do going for a bit. I was thinking of maybe trying Curls Goddess Curl Gel. Have you used it? I'm currently using their Creme Brulee and like it a lot but would add some gel on top of that once I'm half way through pixie diffusing

I like the goddess gel. I actually dilute it with waterm add a wee bit of brhg and a few good pumps of curls gel les c (it adds a nice fragrance) and shake it all up. I use this combo more as a curl enhancer styling aid with my other items with wet hair and plop and then with the plop down I use HEBE. I can use the gel straight in summer usually though.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file