I also have no clue what my natural texture would look like...

lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Registered Users Posts: 478
I play around with the idea of transitioning. The problem is that my relaxed hair has retained so much curl that sometimes I struggle to find the line of demarcation. I haven't relaxed since September and will probably have to wait another five or six weeks (until I can afford it money is tight right now), but so far it is behaving.

Reasons to transition:
1. I HATE going to the salon where my hair is relaxed, but I trust my stylist (she was my neighbor before I moved)
2. Every relaxer a little bit of my hairline on one side ends up naked and by the time it grows back really nice and full it's time to relax again.
3. I can look into getting a TRUE curly haircut. Right now the stylist I see for cutting (at a different salon) blows and irons it straight, then she cuts it. We both feel that this is best so I can wear it either way (though I haven't flat ironed it at home in probably a year) but I'm going to have to take the plunge and maybe cut a few more layers into it.
4. I wonder if my hair would not "mat" as much after the second day.
5. I wonder if my hair would grow longer than it is now. When straightened it just above mid back.
6. I could join a gym with a pool and swim for exercise.
7. Perhaps I would get less tangles when I wash my hair? (Happens with conditioner washes as well, such as Daily Fix)

Reasons not to transition:
1. I only go get a relaxer 3-4 times a year.
2. Other women with curly hair get perms, softening treatments, and texturizers, so am I doing a version of the same thing?
3. People compliment the curl pattern that I have now.
4. No offense to anyone, but don't want to go through a stage of having an afro, that would not be attractive on me.
5. I'm overweight as it is and don't want to alter my look so drastically that I feel even more unattractive.
6. Afraid that my hair would take YEARS to get long again, and that there would be no guarantee that it would get longer(I want it longer than it is now). Perhaps it is as long as it's going to get.
7. Afraid that my hair would mat and tangle regardless.
8. Afraid that my new curls would be tighter than I would like and I would end up doing some kind of chemical service anyway. Not going to play around pulling and twisting and shingling them. Life is short I don't have the patience for that.
9. Afraid that I would not get the proper curly haircut and just end up looking crazy.

Here's the most recent pictures of me. No heat styling as usual. I am with my brother.

Darn. I am having problems uploading because it is too big, and I am afraid to make a FB album public because of the hackers that were on here :(
Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Registered Users Posts: 1,665
    Yikes, it sounds as though you've siked yourself up about transitioning only to sike yourself out of it. LOL .

You don't necessarily HAVE to BC to transition you can stop getting a texturizer (which is nothing more than a perm left on for a shorter amount of time), and just let your natural hair grow. Then after you've grown out your hair to a point where you're comfortable you can BC or just trim as you go.

The reason you can't see your line of demarcation is because of the chemical altering . . .

HTH
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Registered Users Posts: 478
    Lol about your description!

In the past the line of demarcation was much more distinct. Now I'm relaxing much more mildy, I have a really hard time determining it.

Also, I used to have a really hard time washing and combing my hair when it got to be "time for a perm", this is probably the longest I have ever been able to go, but it probably is a good idea if I go ahead and relax (since I haven't made the decision not to)

With the way that my texture is now, I'm lucky in the sense that I probably wouldn't have to worry about special "transitioning styles", but I would lose length because I'm sure the one texture would start being damaged after a while.
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:
    Hmm, well in the end it is your hair . . and your decision to do with it as you please.

You can treat your texturized hair like natural hair . . co-washing, detangling gently and such if you fear the loss of length.

I was the same way when I permed my hair for 6 years and just decided to transition for two year until I had long enough natural hair that I was comfortable with and then BC'd.

To each their own though.
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

s-event.pngs-event.png
    I agreed about the chemically altering making the line hard to see, I just meant that when I was relaxed REALLY straight it was obvious, and now with the mild relaxing, it's hard to tell.

For the past year or so I've been trying to treat my hair exclusively like natural hair, except for when I get haircuts (I get it blown out for that purpose), but I'm curious to know if anyone with loose natural curls has hair that gets matted and ratty after a few days, or is it because I have relaxed hair?

I appreciate your opinions. I hope I don't seem combative! I wish I could be as brave, but my hair has been relaxed a lot longer than yours (17 years). I'm at a stage where I'm not quite brave enough to dramatically change my look.

My mom BCed but she is 60 and already has a husband and wears a hairnet at work, how convenient! LOL

Well about the tangled/ratty ends . . I used to have that same problem while I was transitioning. I would've thought that the permed ends would have cooperated better, but it seemed like they were the main problem.

Then I just started doing twist outs to keep the ends from being all wonky . . . it solved my problem until I decided to BC. :dontknow:

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • virgo76virgo76 Registered Users Posts: 45
    I experienced tangled/ratty ends when I was relaxed and I relaxed bone straight. I believe that it was the products that I was using in my hair + those that I was not using. I used Pantene's Shampoo/Conditioner for relaxed/colored hair (I also have highlights). My hair was very difficult to detangle after using those products but I kept using them anyway. I rarely deep conditioned my hair. During my transition I changed the products that I used and modified my regimen. I now use sulfate free shampoos and moisturizing conditioners as well as deep condition at least once a week. Detangling is a breeze and I do not have any more tangled/ratty ends. I am completely natural now and still have the same regimen. My hair is between CBL and APL now as apposed to nearly HL then but I feel that I did what was best for my hair and I think that you should do the same. Good luck!
    Transitioned 26 months - BC - 12/5/2010
    Current - SL ; CBL stretched
    Goal - HL curly

Pre-poo - HV Vatika Frosting
    Wash - HV Amala Cream Rinse or SheScentIt (SSI) Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo (to clarify)
    Leave-in -
    SSI Coco Creme Leave-In/Green Grape then seal with HV Cocasta Shikakai Oil or Komaza Coconut Curl Spray plus Coconut Curl Hair Lotion
    DC -
    SSI Banana Brulee
    Edges/twist outs - KCCC/Komaza
    Coconut Curly Pudding/Curl Gel-les`c

Still sampling...just the PJ in me:toothy8:
    virgo76 wrote: »
    I experienced tangled/ratty ends when I was relaxed and I relaxed bone straight. I believe that it was the products that I was using in my hair + those that I was not using. I used Pantene's Shampoo/Conditioner for relaxed/colored hair (I also have highlights). My hair was very difficult to detangle after using those products but I kept using them anyway. I rarely deep conditioned my hair. During my transition I changed the products that I used and modified my regimen. I now use sulfate free shampoos and moisturizing conditioners as well as deep condition at least once a week. Detangling is a breeze and I do not have any more tangled/ratty ends. I am completely natural now and still have the same regimen. My hair is between CBL and APL now as apposed to nearly HL then but I feel that I did what was best for my hair and I think that you should do the same. Good luck!

I also am lazy about deep conditioning :( I only wash my hair in the shower now and I have no desire to get in and out :( Also, not sure anymore what deep conditioner I would use.

When I was a teenager and washed my hair in the utility room sink, and only shampooed about once a week, I was all into "letting the conditioner sit", unfortunately I'm just too busy and lazy now :(

I also am still trying to find a good wash and condition combo. Also, I may have to stop being so anti silicones. My hair may need them since it's not natural. Just not sure I could have good curly hair with them.

What's CBL and APL? I don't know all the length acronyms :p)

So happy to hear that detangling has changed! That is my number one issue. Honestly, I have had knots like you would not believe since doing Daily Fix +Knot Today. I like Knot Today (I have to let it set at least 3 or so mins first), but since only relying on Daily Fix to wash I have had some unbelievable knots. If there was one reason above all for me to BC or transition it would be the freedom of knowing exactly what to expect out of the curl pattern and easy detangling!

I figured out how to post pics. Here's some really recent ones, I linked to the post that they are in!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/transitioning/121867-anyone-ever-have-heard-someone-who-has-had-totally-painless-transition.html#post1595417

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file