Baffled, would love some help

GeorgieGeorgie Posts: 7Registered Users
For 30 years I have resigned myself to having 'psycho hair' so I just left it really long to reduce the foofy triangle effect (actually cheered when I saw the term pyramid head on here, thought it was just my pitiful lack of hair skills). Every few years I try to do something with it, and a week ago I worked up the nerve to try again. The stylist informed me I have wavy/curly hair. I feel like an idiot. How could I miss that for a few decades?!?!? I'm really excited that maybe I can finally do something with it, maybe even have a style!

Problem is, I've failed miserably at styling it since and with all the new layers it looks like badly pruned, prickly and foofy shrub - depends on the angle. The products she suggested have lots of ingredients I don't want to use (-cones etc.). I've been scouring the forums here for days, and now I'm more confused than ever. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for a few products.

What I think I've figured out so far. I have fine (on top half) and coarse (bottom half), but the top is resistant to styling...I'm so confused. Most of it is pretty stretchy when it's wet. I think, maybe, it's porous to medium. It's pretty thick, ponytail is 4.5" diameter (the one thing I could figure out! lol). Not sure if this matters, but I have blonde hair and moved where the well water is making my hair extra frizzy and is turning a not so lovely orange-y color. Pretty sure I'm 2b-2c, maybe even some 3a underneath. I don't color, no heat styling, I use a hair dryer 2-3 times a year.

What the stylist told me I needed, but I want to use ones that don't have the bad things in them.

- leave in conditioner (she suggested is an oil with silicone)
- gel or mouse for hold
- spray for touch ups

I apologize if this has been covered in other posts, I've read so many trying to find info my brain is on hair overload and I'm not dealing very well with the hair shrubbery look :oops: Any suggestions would be wonderful

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Orange-ing blonde hair = iron in water. And if you've got iron, you've got other minerals. A shower filter would be a good investment. Those help remove minerals from your water. The minerals in the water are certainly adding to your woes. Products which contain (trisodium) EDTA help remove hard water deposits on your hair and so will a citric acid rinse (1/4 tsp. citric acid in 1 cup filtered or distilled water).

If you are brushing your hair often, it will help to stop doing that. The waves and curls will be more defined. Detangle with a wide tooth comb in the shower with conditioner in your hair, or just use your fingers.

I'm sure others have great ideas about products and thick(density) hair.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome to the wavies, Georgie.

You are definitely not the first person not to realize that their hair was wavy until they were older. Me too.
    If you have hard well water, you have two options. The first is to filter your water. You can get a whole house water softener or buy a filter that screws onto your shower head.
    Your other option is to remove the minerals from your hair with chelating agents. Look for EDTA high on the ingredient list. VO5 blackberry whatever has it. Curl Junkie Daily Fix (CJDF) also has it. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinses also help.
    Dealing with Damage Done to Your Hair by…Water? | NaturallyCurly.com
    Target has trial sizes of giovanni shampoo in their natural products aisle (by the burts bees stuff). I like Renpure organics (red bottle at CVS). You will have to experiment with low poos (non sulfate shampoos). What works for one person will be awful for the next.
    I don't have mixed textures in my hair, so I'm going to give you my best guess. Since your hair is thick, I don't think you will have to worry as much about the top fine layer getting weighed down. I'd guess you should start with products that work for coarse hair. Coarse hair tends to like oils and butters and products that contain them. Garnier Fructice Triple Nutrition is popular. Aubry Organics Honeysuckle and rose is stinky, but also fits the bill. If you want to order online, Darcy's botanicals Pumpkin or Curl junkie products would be a good option.
    Just use a bit of your rinse out conditioner as a leave in conditioner.
    Homemade flax seed gel (FSG) is good to try as a curl enhancer. It is cheap, easy to make, and works for lots of us.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/recipes-%97-hair-body/61208-no-fail-flax-seed-gel-i-finally-did-twice.html
    Wavies tend to like a harder hold from their gel. Try LA looks sports or curls gel, Herbal essenses Set me up, or Biosilk rock hard gel.

Be sure to try the super soaker method and plopping.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html#post1458132

If you want to try the boutique products people here use, kathymack sells samples. Click the fotki in her siggi.
    There are many more options then what I mentioned. Good Luck.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I totally have mixed hair textures! I'm blonde too (hmm see a pattern?) My hair is about half as thick as yours. The top and front are much finer in general, but my hair is mixed with wiry coarser hairs and kinky ones, wavy ones, corkscrew ones. The red hairs and brown hairs are the coarser.
    Check out this websitehttp://www.livecurlylivefree.com/
    Lots of good info.
    The techniques link Pedaheh gave you should be more than enough to cut your teeth on!
  • GeorgieGeorgie Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thank you both so much! I was about ready to go to the store and buy anything that said "curly" on it, though my DH wasn't thrilled about the idea.

So much awesome info! I'd started looking for shampoo for hard water and never even found a mention of EDTA, so that is a big help by itself! Tomorrow is going to be a big emergency hair product run - including a shower head filter (we're renting and can't do a whole house filter). I'll be getting several of your suggestions...which will surely be less expensive and a lot more productive than the "curly-anything" haul. The flaxseed gel looks really easy to make, so I'm going to give that a try as well. YAY!!!!! I have a place to start! Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to help out someone who is hair-blivious! :happy2:
    These sites list CG products. Double check the ingredients, because formulas change.
    Healthy Curls | Healthy Hair, No More Damage
    Left side of this blog
    Girl with Curl

white rain, suave naturals or VO5 work as cowash conditioners. If you have itchy scalp, try giovanni tea tree triple treat conditioner (target has travel sizes).
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Again, thank you. I was so overwhelmed with all the types of hair and products.

I got baking soda and ACV to get residue out, and I've seen ACV rinse mentioned for hard water. A suave conditioner to use with the baking soda and to try conditioner wash. Renpure shamp/cond (red bottles). LA looks blue gel. Flaxseeds (haven't made the gel yet). And a shower filter.

This is the first foray, still need to look into citric acid or EDTA for the orangey hair, hoping the above will help some. And I threw out every boar bristle brush I was told to get to help with frizz (grumbles about the less than helpful stylists I've been to over the years).

Doesn't seem like much now that I typed it out, but the furthest I've ever gone before is some coconut oil so it's all a pretty big step for me :occasion9:
    Sounds like you are off to a great start.
    Baking soda doesn't remove silicones. You will want to do one final sulfate wash with a shampoo that has sulfates and no silicones.
    If you do buy citric acid, here is something you might want to look into. If you buy 100% l-ascorbic acid you can mix it daily with water to make a homemade vitamin C serum for face and body. Whole foods has the Now foods brand (orange bottle) that is 100% l-ascorbic acid. You can also get it at amazon. I mix 1 tsp water with 1/8 tsp l-ascrobic acid. If you are interested, LMK and I'll give you links to different recipes I've found.
    EDIT: I originally posted 1/4 tsp l-ascrobic acid. The actual amount is 1/8 tps. Sorry.
    Thank you again. Awesome info! I was wondering how to work out a shampoo with EDTA without the sulfates (couldn't find any) so you answered that question. I used to get a C serum I, and my skin, loved but it got too expensive, so getting some l-ascorbic acid will have a serious added bonus :)
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    +1 for screw-on-the-nozzle shower filter. $20 filter saved my hair!
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
    Georgie wrote: »
    Thank you again. Awesome info! I was wondering how to work out a shampoo with EDTA without the sulfates (couldn't find any) so you answered that question. I used to get a C serum I, and my skin, loved but it got too expensive, so getting some l-ascorbic acid will have a serious added bonus :)
    Here is an old thread on low poos with chelating ingredients. Honestly there aren't many. I know some people find the maribu one to be harsh. I know some people with hard water use a sulfate shampoo with chelating ingredients a few times a year. These shampoos usually say swimmers or hard water on the label.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/109542-low-poo-chelating-ingredients.html
    What makes vitamin C serums so expensive is the fact that it is really hard to make the vitamin C stable. If you mix it your self, you don't have to worry about it being stable.
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    The ingredients for "Fruit Fresh" are dextrose, ascorbic acid, silicon dioxide.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file