Since I've been cone-fee

adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
For more than a year I was modified cg. I used some peg cones in my cowash and non-sulfate shampoo once a week. About a month ago I decided to go strict cg. No more cones. I loved what it did for my hair. The problem is my hair no longer seems to tolerate my shampoos. In fact, my hair now hates shampoo. It dries the hell out of my hair and it causes tangles like crazy. And these are the same products I used before and didn't have that problem. It takes about two cowashes for my hair to recover. The thing is I can be prone to dandruff and I know periodic clarifying is good. Does anyone have advice on how to do both and never (or almost never) touch shampoo again.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Wet your hair, coat it with conditioner, and use a gentle low-poo on your roots (essentially on your scalp). Your hair will be protected from the drying effects of the low-poo.

It would probably be a good idea to take a good look at the ingredients list on your low-poo. Some have no sulfate detergents, but a heap of non-sulfate detergents, which makes them harsh. The first one I tried was by Burt's Bees, and it was really rough on my hair. It contained a lot of different non-sulfate detergents, and they were high on the ingredients list.

However, many people find that dandruff disappears when they only co-wash.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • mesuemesue Registered Users Posts: 244 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe add some tea tree oil to your co-wash? I think I recall reading that it was good for preventing dandruff.

I am still new, but have been doing the low-poo on the same day I plan to do a deep treatment, so I follow the low poo with the DT.
    Sue

Axed the perpetual ponytail and went curly on 1/6/2011.
    Hair Properties: 3a/b, fine-medium texture, thick density, normal porosity.
    Still experimenting with products and routine.
    So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    thanks for the responses. I have been using the teatree oil and that does help. Plus I think my scalp just needed some adjustment time because the dandruff problem is getting better.:king:
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    You might want to try baking soda scrubs and ACV rinses occasionally when you want to clarify. I find they do a great job of removing the "gunk," but they still leave my hair nice and soft and not stripped.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file