Possible to get pregnant with little to no cervical fluid?

MagpieMagpie Registered Users Posts: 39
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 9 months, and I've been charting my temps for the past 6 months. Unfortunately, I have little to no apparent cervical fluid. (I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility a couple of years ago and realized the issue then, so this isn't a new problem).

I saw my gynecologist recently for my annual exam and mentioned my concern to her. She told me that cervical fluid isn't really all that important and it's kind of an old-fashioned idea. However, everything I've read indicates that cervical fluid is vital to conception. She gave me info on a nearby fertility clinic and the clinic's website even mentions the tests they do to check cervical fluid.

So I'm wondering...has anyone managed to conceive in the apparent absence of egg-white cervical fluid? Also, if anyone knows of any websites/resources that confirm my doctor's statements, I'd be appreciative. I can't find any...

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Have you checked for it internally as well as externally?

Are all your other fertility signs indicating that you ovulate?

With this second pregnancy, I barely had any EWCM before I conceived because I had JUST finished nursing and I was dry the entire time I nursed. I didn't really TTC while nursing but also didn't try not to get pregnant that hard so a few times the timing could have been right for a pregnancy and once or twice I thought I might have been, but I never was and I think it was the lack of fluid, because literally the month my son weaned, I conceived (we did also TTC hardcore that month) and I started noticing small patches of EWCM, but nothing like I had before #1. So I clearly needed some, but it didn't take much.

Have you tried Robitussin? Drinking more water? Avoiding anti-histamines?

Also, I've read age is a factor - younger women will have more EWCM for more days than older women. If you are late 30s or early 40s you might only have one day or less of EWCM.

I think the key is to make love a lot, as much as you can stand it, in the 5 days or so before O. If you don't have enough EWCM to tell when that is, go by previous days from your old charts.

Also, 9 months is not THAT long (though I get it feels like forever.) A lot of people take a year or even longer, so I'd say good luck and keep trying!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Magpie wrote: »
    My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 9 months, and I've been charting my temps for the past 6 months. Unfortunately, I have little to no apparent cervical fluid. (I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility a couple of years ago and realized the issue then, so this isn't a new problem).

I saw my gynecologist recently for my annual exam and mentioned my concern to her. She told me that cervical fluid isn't really all that important and it's kind of an old-fashioned idea. However, everything I've read indicates that cervical fluid is vital to conception. She gave me info on a nearby fertility clinic and the clinic's website even mentions the tests they do to check cervical fluid.

So I'm wondering...has anyone managed to conceive in the apparent absence of egg-white cervical fluid? Also, if anyone knows of any websites/resources that confirm my doctor's statements, I'd be appreciative. I can't find any...

I would add that I've never heard that cervical fluid is old-fashioned or unimportant for conception. It is an integral part of all fertility awareness methods that actually work, and it is the means that transport the sperm to the egg and keep it alive until fertilization.

I think your doctor is either trying to reassure you, or she doesn't know much about reproduction (shockingly, not all doctors are taught this.) If she's a general practitioner she may not deal much with issues of fertility and I think women who practise fertility awareness are still a minority - most pregnancies doctors see are unplanned or people just tried by losing the birth control and having sex, maybe counting days but that's about it.

Some doctors think if you track your fertility you're being obsessive and anal. I know mine certainly used to think that of me - she thought I was crazy because before I TTC #1, I asked her about what I thought was a short luteal phase (10 days) and if it would be a problem, and she thought that I was nuts - as it turns out, that was not an issue at all so maybe she had a point. It's easy to get really anxious about all this stuff and assume problems when it isn't warranted. That being said, it's kind of ignorant to say cervical fluid isn't important. I assume you've read TCOYF as it talks about this quite a bit.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• MagpieMagpie Registered Users Posts: 39
    Amneris wrote: »

Have you tried Robitussin? Drinking more water? Avoiding anti-histamines?

Also, I've read age is a factor - younger women will have more EWCM for more days than older women. If you are late 30s or early 40s you might only have one day or less of EWCM.

I think the key is to make love a lot, as much as you can stand it, in the 5 days or so before O. If you don't have enough EWCM to tell when that is, go by previous days from your old charts.

Also, 9 months is not THAT long (though I get it feels like forever.) A lot of people take a year or even longer, so I'd say good luck and keep trying!

Thanks for your responses, Amneris. My temps indicate that I ovulate every month. I've been taking evening primrose oil (pre-ovulation) for about 5 months, and I make sure to drink plenty of water. I'm in my late 20's, so my age shouldn't be a factor. I know that 9 mos isn't that long, so I'm trying to maintain some perspective and not get too crazy with out-of-the-box experimentation right now, like taking Robitussin or using real egg whites :tongue:.
    Amneris wrote: »
    Some doctors think if you track your fertility you're being obsessive and anal. I know mine certainly used to think that of me - she thought I was crazy because before I TTC #1, I asked her about what I thought was a short luteal phase (10 days) and if it would be a problem, and she thought that I was nuts - as it turns out, that was not an issue at all so maybe she had a point. It's easy to get really anxious about all this stuff and assume problems when it isn't warranted. That being said, it's kind of ignorant to say cervical fluid isn't important. I assume you've read TCOYF as it talks about this quite a bit.

She definitely did not seem impressed by my charting and somewhat discouraged me from continuing. She suggested that since I know I usually ovulate on day 14 or 15, we should just have sex on days 10, 12, 14 and 16 -- otherwise I'm not really trying :confused:. While that statement rubbed me the wrong way, I'm going to try her advice. Charting doesn't tell me much (other than confirming ovulation) and I'm trying to keep my stress about the whole process down, so I'm going to give it a break for a few months and just try the every other day thing. You are completely right about the anxiety...sometimes I think it would be easier if I didn't know so much about my cycle and what to look for...
    It probably doesn't hurt to have your partner's sperm tested since from what I hear it's a pretty simple procedure. Every other day is more beneficial where a man has a marginal sperm count. Where that isn't an issue the more sex the better and every day leading up to O is great if you can do it.

I wouldn't recommend not charting as I do think there is a lot you can tell from it and you may wish you had those charts later.

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in the fan club of sex-every-day up to (and even past) ovulation. I've known lots of people who didn't get pregnant with every-other-day and had to step it up a bit.
  • Scuba GalScuba Gal Registered Users Posts: 383
    I used PreSeed with both my pregnancies and I am convinced it worked. I never had a ton of CM and I assume because I take so many asthma/allergy meds, plus I am old :) but both cycles I decided to try the PreSeed, I got pregnant.

ETA: I also made sure we did it daily, I didn't trust that every other day business ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file