cream wax?

crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
I had a trim today at the local beauty school, no styling, just a dry trim to tweak some little areas of my haircut.
The instructor is a little out there, and she said a few confusing things to me, maybe this stuff is true, I don't know.
She said that no-one should ever go out in the cold with wet hair, as it "chaps" the hair.
She said that gel is only for root lift and I should be using cream wax for styling.
I've never heard of cream wax. Have you?If you have, are there any that you would recommend?

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    crwritt wrote: »
    I had a trim today at the local beauty school, no styling, just a dry trim to tweak some little areas of my haircut.
    The instructor is a little out there, and she said a few confusing things to me, maybe this stuff is true, I don't know.
    She said that no-one should ever go out in the cold with wet hair, as it "chaps" the hair.
    She said that gel is only for root lift and I should be using cream wax for styling.
    I've never heard of cream wax. Have you?If you have, are there any that you would recommend?

I don't think you'd like wax for styling - I used to use this for the daughter who needed good tight braids for gymnastics and had straight kind of unbraidable hair. It makes the hair feel moldable and stay put and is great for braids - makes them glossy like oil does - but makes the hair feel very dirty, and I think would look kind of terrible on medium length curly hair. It would work for spiking very short hair, it's sort of a texturizing goop.

Not sure hair can get "chapped", either. Though I'm sure it can get dried out by the weather, so it makes sense in a way.

I don't recommend the wax to you. And I'm not sure any are made without silicones.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    I don't recommend the wax to you. And I'm not sure any are made without silicones.

I thought maybe. This school has products for sale but I didn't have time to read labels. Actually my hair is doing just fine with my current products, and I can get 2 or 3 day hair usually. I have tried pomade in the past and it made my hair heavy.
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Wax is really hard to remove from hair, usually needs sulfates and I've seen dish washing liquid recommended online to remove it.
    I use wax on occasion and it come out without an issue for me. I don't use lots, and I don't use it often. I have FX molding wax (just a wax) and Pantene mousing foam wax (a mousse). Neither is a cream wax and both are really old because I rarely use them.
    Would LOOB fit the bill as a cream wax? It is a pomade, but it might have wax in the ingredient list. No idea, just guessing.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Wax is really hard to remove from hair, usually needs sulfates and I've seen dish washing liquid recommended online to remove it.
    I use wax on occasion and it come out without an issue for me. I don't use lots, and I don't use it often. I have FX molding wax (just a wax) and Pantene mousing foam wax (a mousse). Neither is a cream wax and both are really old because I rarely use them.
    Would LOOB fit the bill as a cream wax? It is a pomade, but it might have wax in the ingredient list. No idea, just guessing.

I bought some LOOB to try and brought it back because I thought it was just gross.If that is cream wax I'll pass.

The instructor said not to use gel because it would make my hair crunchy. I always put gel on over leave in, and almost never get crunch, so I don't get that.

I should ignore what she said, but it wasn't just me she gave this advice to, it was a student stylist.
    I'll add that she didn't style my hair, she just talked about it.
  • slurcslurc Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    LOVE Surface Curls Cream Wax-- best product I have ever found for my very curly hair. Very light on my hair and provides definition of my curls that's amazing. I wash and condition with Deva but the magic comes with the Surface Cream Wax. Totally recommend.
  • slurcslurc Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    LOVE Surface Curls Cream Wax-- best product I have ever found for my very curly hair. Very light on my hair and provides definition of my curls that's amazing. I wash and condition with Deva but the magic comes with the Surface Cream Wax. Totally recommend.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file