matte lipstick

luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
i'm going through a matte lipstick phase. it looks good but i'm finding about 2-3 hours in not so much. i'm drinking my tea and water and it just seems to crumble off my lips.

i don't wear it every single day but probably 3 days out of the week. my lips are properly exfoliated and hydrated daily so just trying to see if anyone has tips for wearing matte lipstick beyond 2-3 hours.

btw, i'm wearing mac ruby woo. it's bold but is looking good!
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I often have to add a very light stick gloss to matte shades; just something like plain transparent Burt's Bees, or the like. Matte can cake or leave a weird ugly liner (on me at least), if I don't add a little bit of mooisture.

HTH
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Honestly? Best things I've found are LipSense...

SeneGence

Pricey, but occasionally if you can find a distributor people will hold sales (or you could try ebay).They're almost like a paint that you put on, let dry and then add a top coat that protects them. After eating, I usually apply another coat of the top coat just to replace what was wiped away. There's a pearly top coat, glossy, matte, etc. Seriously the only thing that takes these suckers off is oil.

I have to use ponds to get it off my lips at the end of the day, and unless you're slurping up an oily pasta I doubt your regular eating or drinking habits would take it off.

A little drying, like any long lasting lip color is but seriously love them.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    Do you exfoliate and moisturize your lips before applying the color? That really helps my color last forever. I don't like using lip liner, but I heard that can help as well.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    good tips so far ladies!! thanks!
  • aliquotaliquot Registered Users Posts: 227
    You can try a lip primer...I have a Trish McEvoy one that works well.

Ruby Woo overall is just kind of a chalky lipstick. The color is great but MAC's matte formulas are so dry. I really like the Revlon Matte lipsticks, if you want to give something else a go. They have a great reds.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
    aliquot wrote: »
    You can try a lip primer...I have a Trish McEvoy one that works well.

Ruby Woo overall is just kind of a chalky lipstick. The color is great but MAC's matte formulas are so dry. I really like the Revlon Matte lipsticks, if you want to give something else a go. They have a great reds.

thanks for that tip! yes i love the blue based red of ruby woo. maybe i will just keep it for special occassions or pair it with gloss for "day wear". i tried applying with a brush instead of directly out of the tube to see if that makes a difference.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Oh --- I just remembered, Du*** makes an "invisible" liner that's slightly moist; when I think to use it, my color lasts longer. (I use it more as primer than a liner, though.)
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    This youtube video shows a tip that WORKS! I had tried this years ago, but I didn't use a single ply tissue and I think that makes all the difference. This is my second day using this tip and my lipstick stays on even after eating. Yesterday it was more of a stain by the end of the day though.

YouTube - Cosmetology Tricks of the Trade : How to Keep Lipstick Lasting

Edited because I can't type worth a *****.
    sdc wrote: »
    This youtube video shows a tip that WORKS! I had tried this years ago, but I didn't use a single ply tissue and I think that makes all the difference. This is my second day using this tip and my lipstick stays on even after eating. Yesterday it was more of a stain by the end of the day though.

good video. cute dog! i've heard of this tip and will try it.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur

If this is the trick I think it is, it does work. I can't view YT vids at work so I can't tell.

Apply lipstick, blot with tissue, apply powder, reapply lipstick, blot again...

The invisible lipliner Ninj mentioned is great for keeping lip gloss from feathering too.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    Phoenix wrote: »

If this is the trick I think it is, it does work. I can't view YT vids at work so I can't tell.

Apply lipstick, blot with tissue, apply powder, reapply lipstick, blot again...

The invisible lipliner Ninj mentioned is great for keeping lip gloss from feathering too.

That's pretty much it. I think the woman in the video didn't do the reapply. What I think made it work for me this time is that I used the 1 ply tissue, I think when I tried it years ago I was using a full tissue, 2 ply I guess, and it never seemed to work. I even put Clinique Superbalm on top and it still stays on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file