Disparaging references to "Fros"

CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
This has probably been talked about here already but I feel the need to vent. Every so often I see posts on NC that refer to "fros" disparagingly - like "I used to have a fro when I was little" as if it's an embarrassing admission. Probably stems from a lack of awareness but it really bothers me. What do you say when you see posts with stuff like this?
Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
Icequeen method
CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• midnightcookiesmidnightcookies Posts: 10Registered Users
    I LOVE fros! I think they are the easily the prettiest hairstyle imaginable! It just totally shows so much personality, plus is just a great way to showcase curls!
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately, this kind of thing is bound to come up every now and again, and though it is easier said than done, it's best to not get upset about it. If you wear your hair with confidence, people will respond to you in a positive manner, though there will always be exceptions. You simply cannot expect to please everyone.

Think of hair as being part of fashion. You can join the mainstream or you can be that person who decides to create their own unique style by deciding what suits you best. The latter are usually more interesting to look at anyway.
  • Tuchie09Tuchie09 Posts: 388Registered Users
    I never noticed this until you brought it up and I have seen that before they go "I had a fro when I was 3..." and in the back of my mind I'm like "...So where'd it go? Did it get up and walk away?"

They probably don't mean a lot of harm by it, and when they were younger there may have been someone telling them their fro was something to get rid of. :cwm10:
    Curly in Okinawa, Japan where only the toughest curls can stand up to this heat and humidity.

My Arsenal:
    Shampoo: Waiting on SM African Black soap shampoo to makes its way to me...
    Conditioner(s): CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, CJ Repair Me!
    Oil: Apricot Kernel Oil
    Stylers: CD Loc Butter for twists, CJAF, CJCQ (haven't figured out how to work this though...)
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    I've noticed this and I've also seen people refer to 4a hair as afro hair. I mean c'mon, we can do more than just afros.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When people say this they are usually referring to the fact that when they were little they didn't have any curl definition because their parent brushed it all out, and they never knew what their hair looked like. They're talking about a picked out looking fro, not what we call a fro today. I call my hair a fro (at least I think it's a fro) and I love it! Not that there is anything wrong with a picked out fro (my blow out is the bomb.com), it's just saying their hair looks different than they thought.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    When I was a kid, I got picked on a lot about my hair. Kids used to call my hair an afro or call me "afro lady". Fro was always used negatively to describe my hair.

So whenever someone today talks about fros, I start feeling uncomfortable and uneasy. My childhood experiences with the word has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not really sure if I like using afro to describe hair. :/
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ellepixie wrote: »
    When people say this they are usually referring to the fact that when they were little they didn't have any curl definition because their parent brushed it all out, and they never knew what their hair looked like. They're talking about a picked out looking fro, not what we call a fro today. I call my hair a fro (at least I think it's a fro) and I love it! Not that there is anything wrong with a picked out fro (my blow out is the bomb.com), it's just saying their hair looks different than they thought.

ITA with Elle on the bolded.

It may be wrong to think this, but for me, when your hair naturally has defined curls when healthy, a fro - hair that is made up of naturally undefined curls that may look like a cloud or have a lot of natural frizz - is not the look that you're going for unless you purposely comb out and frizz your hair.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't like it either when people make it sound like having a big fluffy round cloud of hair is a disease. :pukeright:

But many people say it here on the boards (people generally whose hair couldn't fro even if they tried), but I just have to ignore it. If it were a real life situation I might just give the person an exaggerated eye roll, but on the forums I just leave it alone cuz well, it's the intertubes.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • Lioness893Lioness893 Posts: 8Registered Users
    WHen my mom talks about our hair and always referred to it as a fro. When I got picked on in 3rd grade for having curly hair (they always said puffy fluffy fro or sometimes they said mop head) I always said duh I know I have a fro:iconbiggrin:
    People made fun of me because I was a "mop head" but I told them I had a lions mane. :thumbleft:
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    I'm with you, OP. My reaction is definitely *meh* when I read about people's ugly "fros" from when they were younger. That said, I do know what people mean when they say it. It's more like what elle was saying. For that reason, I don't normally comment when I read someone talking about their "fro."
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • queenofdisks80queenofdisks80 Posts: 155Registered Users
    I use the term Jew fro sometimes to describe my hair when it is particuarly kinky-curly and a little on the wild side. I own this term with pride, while at the same time admitting that there's a little offhanded negativity in there.

The Jew fro, much like the afro was a real look in the 1970s-mostly rocked by men, and it did resemble an afro and had political connotations about ethnicity and probably partly solidarity with the various civil rights movements of the time.

I think it's now used in much the same way as the term fro, but what are Jews if not self depricating! :happy10:
    3b/3c at nape/a little 3a on the sides, med-course, high porosity, colored.
    Protein sensitive, hard water.

spritz and condish
    low-poo: shea moisture, Y to Cucs (clarifying)
    RO: CJ A&OO, CJSL,GVPCB
    LI: CJ A&OO, CJCR
    DT:CJCR, GVPCB+evoo&honey
    stylers: FSG, SM Curl & Style Milk, CJCCCL, CJCIAB & Biolage gelee
    refresher:CJSL, CJCCCL, Lustrasilk OO
    PT: Sally's K-Pak, AO GPB
  • EkaetteEkaette Posts: 356Registered Users

It may be wrong to think this, but for me, when your hair naturally has defined curls when healthy, a fro - hair that is made up of naturally undefined curls that may look like a cloud or have a lot of natural frizz - is not the look that you're going for unless you purposely comb out and frizz your hair.

Not everybody has defined curls naturally. For some of us our natural curl pattern IS a fro. It doesn't mean our hair is unhealthy, it's not something we have to purposefully do, it's just our natural hair pattern.
    event.png

4b natural
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ekaette wrote: »

Not everybody has defined curls naturally. For some of us our natural curl pattern IS a fro. It doesn't mean our hair is unhealthy, it's not something we have to purposefully do, it's just our natural hair pattern.

Ekaette, I think she was just referring to her own hair. Of course hair can be a naturally undefined fro. And they are beautiful.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • alaskantsunamialaskantsunami Posts: 421Registered Users
    Fros are BA. I mean come on, you can't get better than Mr. Duvall:
    85030947.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5486FD6CCCFAD884D4F61487FEA12BD295D182C1D072B54896D
    2C and all the 3s, iii, F, natural brunette.
    mod CG since 03.21.10

Kelso: Hey, guys? I'm thinking about getting a perm. Hyde, can I get the number of your guy?
    Hyde: I don't have a guy. This righteous moss is a gift from God.
    -That 70s Show
  • principessa1984principessa1984 Posts: 129Registered Users
    I came across a post that did that and I simply decided not to comment. I doubt the author intended to offend, but I ignore any post that references "Afro" as a negative thing.
    My signature style: the "braid n' curl"
    High porosity, normal elasticity, high density, thick strands, DRY (must moisturize/oil and DT a lot), tangles easily. Highly textured...curl softener+demi-perm color.
    Straightened length: Waist (layers)
    Textured length: (variable) full SL to BSL

Condish/Shampoo: VO5
    Pre-poo: mild protein(VO5)+castor oil+tea tree
    Steam treatments: 1-2x weekly
    Daily routine and DT: Moisturize w/ Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose+Olive oil and seal w/ Avocado oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file