CurlTalk

HOUSE MUSIC: Who Loves It?

anonymous_59737anonymous_59737 Posts: 485Registered Users
This is one of my favorite house songs of all time:

Work It To The Bone

A freakin' classic!

Do you like house? Have you a classic/favorite(s)?

Let's hear!
Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    this is my threeeeeeeead!!!

i LOVE house music, seriously my ipod is full of it, i listen to it everyday, old stuff and new stuff

i have a million bookmarked podcasts of house music, it's insane.

we were just listening to this kerri chandler joint earlier.

please dont get me started!!! lol i could go on~! :toothy10:
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I like it at the gym (on my iPod). It helps me move.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    ts ts ts ts un un un un
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    i love house music. but ill admit i cant tell the difference between house, trance and techno music.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    OBB wrote: »
    i love house music. but ill admit i cant tell the difference between house, trance and techno music.
    Me either but SO loves Infected Mushroom...I like it too. I'm an old school rap girl myself...
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    My speakers aren't working right now. What exactly is house music?
  • anonymous_59737anonymous_59737 Posts: 485Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    this is my threeeeeeeead!!!

i LOVE house music, seriously my ipod is full of it, i listen to it everyday, old stuff and new stuff

i have a million bookmarked podcasts of house music, it's insane.

we were just listening to this kerri chandler joint earlier.

please dont get me started!!! lol i could go on~! :toothy10:

Woohoo - go on!

And post some links to your faves - old and new!
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I like it at the gym (on my iPod). It helps me move.

It's the only music I can spin to - no house (pref techno for a spinning class) then I can barely work out!
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    ts ts ts ts un un un un

:D:D

Ahh, the sound of sweet, sweet music . . .
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    OBB wrote: »

Trance and techno are different genres of house. For me all electronica/electronic dance music (EDM) has origins in the Chicago and Detroit house scene of the '80s. Techno is more like the sound that Eilonwy was making and Tiesto in the link does a lot of techno. Trance tends to have more of an industrial sound with a solid repetitive beat holding it all together. This song - Bug Thing - a current fave is quite trancey.
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    Speckla wrote: »
    My speakers aren't working right now. What exactly is house music?

House is an amalgamation of different musical strands such as jazz and funk. House music is also called dance music, electronica, electronic dance music (EDM). There is debate around this. Some prefer to group house under the label electronic music. However, others believe this distorts recognition of the trajectory of electronic music by obscuring its origins which are working class, gay, and African American. For me, I use both house and electronica because most of the contemporary and more electronic sounding music evolved from house which began in the 70s/80s.

However, I mainly use house because I am kinda old skool like that and the questionable distillation implicit in renaming this type of music electronica with house (the originator) as a genre does not sit well with me philosophically - it has a very colonizing feel to it. Like a business meeting at a company formerly run by Women where a few Women are still around but the company has been taken over by Men. In the meetings Women will sometimes speak but are generally not heard. Then one of the Men will repeat what one of the Women said and all will listen. Wow, this analogy brings back (bad) memories of that type of meeting dynamic...

Anyhoo, hope that helps a bit :icon_smile:
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    Dido's remixed Everything to Lose is housey. I love it!
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    back in the day of paradise garage, red parrot, limelight (feral you're savvy right?)
    it was ALL house.

now it's deep house, soulful house, trance, broken beat, nujazz...but if they all have that BEAT....it's house.

feral whooooeee i gotcha!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
    back in the day of paradise garage, red parrot, limelight (feral you're savvy right?)
    it was ALL house.

now it's deep house, soulful house, trance, broken beat, nujazz...but if they all have that BEAT....it's house.

feral whooooeee i gotcha!

To the bold: EXACTLY.

I remember Paradise Garage and Limelight. In Toronto, The Twilight Zone had a similar following as Paradise Garage and just mentioning it evokes the same kind of nostalgia.

I'm feeling some of that nostalgia right now - Break For Love, baby!
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    Larry Levan resident DJ at Paradise Garage for a decade before it closed is credited with coining the notion of a dance club as a church. Paradise Garage is credited with inspiring the creation of London's Ministry of Sound nightclub.

This has all led to bands such as Faithless creating tunes like God is a DJ - love that song!

Empressri, are you going to the Paradise Garage Tribute on 3rd April ?
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    IMO house is kind of like jam bands. I can see how they would each be fun to listen to on the appropriate drugs, but they're boring as hell sober.

Sorry, FF!
    IMO house is kind of like jam bands. I can see how they would each be fun to listen to on the appropriate drugs, but they're boring as hell sober.

Sorry, FF!

No offence taken E!

Been a house fan since I was about 12 - I LOVE this music.

Like my wine but don't do drugs and can dance all night as long as I am listening to great house tracks. It's cathartic for me. I can release my joy or get over all sorts of pain with house - it's how I worship and how I heal my hurts!
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    Like my wine but don't do drugs
    Oh yeah I didn't mean that everyone in this thread is popping E all the time (or ever) :lol:
    Like my wine but don't do drugs
    Oh yeah I didn't mean that everyone in this thread is popping E all the time (or ever) :lol:

To the bold: :toothy7:

I'd never heard of E when I was 12 . . .
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 962Registered Users

Sorry, FF!

I completely agree, except I really dig good jam bands even when sober...though only when I see them live. It's difficult to just sit and listen to jam bands.

I could handle house music once upon a time, but ever since the a-holes in the apartment above mine moved in and blared it to the point that it vibrates through our walls, just thinking about it gives me a headache, and makes me extremely irate.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    it was ALL house.

what did you just say? girllll, what does your young behind know about that??? what??? when you were born those places were closed, lol.
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    Love house music. I remember the first club I went to was called the Underground. Then came Limelight, Tunnel, Vinyl, Twilo (RIP), Exit, Sound Factory, etc.

Danny Tenaglia, Carl Cox, Tiesto, PVD, Sasha & Digweed, Junior V... Aaaa, memories of the days when NYC had a great scene.
    wow, i remember the underground. it had many floors and it was the first place where i'd experienced a unisex bathroom. you could even go to the roof, right?

my favorite club song (we didn't call it house music) was...i don't remember the name of it, but it had some lyric about, "a place....where we can be freeeee..."
    that's all i remember.
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    yes!!!! that's it!!! you're good!!! thank you!! (i'm listening now...)
    Welcome! That used to be a good jam!

Sorry, FF!

I completely agree, except I really dig good jam bands even when sober...though only when I see them live. It's difficult to just sit and listen to jam bands.

I could handle house music once upon a time, but ever since the a-holes in the apartment above mine moved in and blared it to the point that it vibrates through our walls, just thinking about it gives me a headache, and makes me extremely irate.

I understand. I remember reading your post about them. Have they learned to shut up yet?
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    Love house music. I remember the first club I went to was called the Underground. Then came Limelight, Tunnel, Vinyl, Twilo (RIP), Exit, Sound Factory, etc.

Danny Tenaglia, Carl Cox, Tiesto, PVD, Sasha & Digweed, Junior V... Aaaa, memories of the days when NYC had a great scene.

You said the name of MY MAN!!!!! Carl Cox is my honey! He can always move me!
    Hootie-hoo! - Chef Carla