Trip to the Hair Shop... (Or Not)

somethingelsesomethingelse Posts: 75Registered Users
hello fellow fro bros and curlos! ^_^

i've been growing my hair out... natural... for the first time for over a year now. i've done everything from college cuts to curl kits to perms to dreads to corn rows and twist, ever since i was around 8... i'm abut to be 25 in march.

anyway, wheni cut my dreads off, i decided to do a do-it-yourself color treatment on my hair to give it a brown shade for the half an inch hair i had on my head after cutting off my dreads. (back then i didn't know much about anything when it came to hair as it had always been someone else being paid to do whatever i was having done)...

so here i am, a year and a few months later. my hair is growing great... except for one thing... the coor on the ends of my hair. it is so grrrrr to run my hands down my smooth hair, only to get to the rough ends due to the color.

so, i took a trip to a hair salon that my father gets his hair cut at. i knew i was going to be asking for a trim of the ends to rid myself of the color, so i detangled my hair and got my curly locks out the night before. i also did a quicky re-comb that morning.

i got to the salon, waitied the our before it was my time, and the barberer, at first, was like "your hair is so thick and soft... is there something in your hair".

i let him know there was nothijg but a leave in conditioner in there.

anyway, he went to grab his small hair pick. (i felt horror on the inside as i have only used either my fingers, big tooth comb, or a detangle conair brush when combing my hair over the past year)... so i knew there was about to be a problem.

so he went in and started making a scene in the building about how he won't be able to cut my hair in it's current state, that it is too "boing-boing-boing-boing"... and that he needs to be able to get his pick through in order to clip my ends properly and still have my hair be even.

sohe gave me the pick and told me to go pick my hair out. (goodness... the entire time i was picking, it felt like i was punishing my hair, lmao!) of course, after i went through and had the pick smoothing through an area and moved on... when i came back around, it was as if hadn't touched it yet.

anyway, after hearing his mouth some more, i just said i'll come back at a later date, but soon after leaving and soaking in the experience, i just got turned off from even trying.

i believe the guy just didn't want to take the time to go through my "thick" hair getting the color out.

i'm just going to keep trucking like i have been. (though i can't stand the colored tips and how rough they feel compared to my uncolored hair... and also, it seems it's the colored tips that tangles at the ends of my hair)

and just to share a pic of my hair: (the color shows best in good sunlight)

http://db.tt/v91shU5
products: after everything I've tried & loved, I'm now down to just using yes to carrots conditioner. i actually just rub it on my hair while dry, get my hair moisted up with just that, then carefully finger comb/seperate sections of my hair (takes about 15-20 minutes). after that, i hope in the shower, let the water hit and shake-rinse my hair and massage my scalp. once out, i simple let my hair air dry. every now and then, i'll use a diffuser.

btw, pardon my all lower case. i just love 'em.

Comments

• jr.mint12jr.mint12 Posts: 101Registered Users
    so maybe go some where else to get those ends clipped..cuz bro they got to go or you just going to keep having problems...

or if you are brave enough you could go on youtube
    and learn how to trim your own ends..it just a thought
  • somethingelsesomethingelse Posts: 75Registered Users
    jr.mint12 wrote: »
    so maybe go some where else to get those ends clipped..cuz bro they got to go or you just going to keep having problems...

or if you are brave enough you could go on youtube
    and learn how to trim your own ends..it just a thought

hmmmm. i think i just may go on youtube and see about learning to do it myself... if it is not TOO TOO risky.

after doing my first detangling session a while ago, i saw that some things are not as difficult as they FEEL. lol.

btw, awesome head of hair sir. rock on!

EDIT: I gave it a go... and i think i did pretty good for a first time self-cut. goodnes. the difference when running my hands through my hair is major. my hair shouod be back to the length it was in 2 months... i'll then do one more small trim just to make sure. (plus i'll be more prepared and o it in smaller sections instead of like... 7, lol.
    products: after everything I've tried & loved, I'm now down to just using yes to carrots conditioner. i actually just rub it on my hair while dry, get my hair moisted up with just that, then carefully finger comb/seperate sections of my hair (takes about 15-20 minutes). after that, i hope in the shower, let the water hit and shake-rinse my hair and massage my scalp. once out, i simple let my hair air dry. every now and then, i'll use a diffuser.

btw, pardon my all lower case. i just love 'em.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file