Did anyone else have this problem when they started co-washing?

I use Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum after I get out of the shower, it makes my hair really glossy & makes it smell so nice. But now that I'm co-washing, I can't get the serum out. Did anyone else have trouble getting product out of their hair?
:love2: as of 6/12/11.

COwash- Suave Juicy Apple.
Rinse-out- VO5 Passion Fruit Moisture Milks.

Recovering from a bad glue-in extension job. :sad7:

Comments

• nikskenikske Registered Users Posts: 556
    You'll have to avoid certain products, some just won't wash out when cowashing. I don't know if this serum has cones in it, have you checked? If it does, do a sulfate wash and then start over.
    If it doesn't, you could try a lowpoo, to see if that helps.
    Wurly 2b/2c/3a Miii - high porosity

event.png

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
  • kristie911kristie911 Registered Users Posts: 154
    It looks like the first ingredient is Cyclomethicone which will not wash out with co-washing alone. You'll need to either drop the product or see if a low poo will wash it out. But I would do another sulfate wash to get it all out of your hair since even a low poo might not take all the build up out.
    3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

No Poo and loving it! Gave up my hair dryer and never looked back!

Favorite Condishs: Suave Naturals (cowash) or TRESemme Naturals
    Leave-In: CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or KCKT
    Curl Creme: AG re:coil or SS Hair Butter
    Gel: HETT, GF Gel

Product Junkie...Swap board addict!
  • BrittneeAubreex3BrittneeAubreex3 Registered Users Posts: 309
    nikske wrote: »
    You'll have to avoid certain products, some just won't wash out when cowashing. I don't know if this serum has cones in it, have you checked? If it does, do a sulfate wash and then start over.
    If it doesn't, you could try a lowpoo, to see if that helps.

I'm new... what's a low poo? I know it means shampoo but like what kind of shampoo? I'm going to clarify it, I haven't yet, just been washing with conditioner & start over.

kristie911 wrote: »
    It looks like the first ingredient is Cyclomethicone which will not wash out with co-washing alone. You'll need to either drop the product or see if a low poo will wash it out. But I would do another sulfate wash to get it all out of your hair since even a low poo might not take all the build up out.

Is Cyclomethicone bad for my hair? I can stop using the product, it was just what I put in my hair to make it look really glossy & smell good after I got out of the shower. I haven't clarified my yet, I've just been washing it with conditioner. I'm going to tomorrow. Do you know of anything else I could start putting in my hair after I get out of the shower?

I'm new... what's a low poo? I know it means shampoo but like what kind of shampoo? I'm going to clarify it, I haven't yet, just been washing with conditioner & start over.

A low poo is a mild shampoo without sulfates (SLS or SLES). If you do a search on it here, you'll find lots of info and recommendations.

It seems the serum you're using has a cone in it. Opinions are all over the spectrum on cones here, I personally don't think it's that bad, the problem is that cones won't wash out without sulfates, and sulfates really strip your hair and dry it out.

You need to check all your product for cones if you're going no poo and avoid anything with cones. This includes your shampoo and conditioner.

There's a sticky in this section with tons of info. I suggest you read that.

HTH

event.png

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
  • AntjeAntje Registered Users Posts: 94
    Yes there is a sticky for startint the CG routine and it explaines it very well.

For some cones are bad for some not, only if you strictly want to be a CG then you should not use cones a conditioner will not wash it out.

There are some low poo's who will. But before you start CG you really must wash your hair with a sulfate shampoo to get rid of all cones and stuff that is in your hair and then start the CG routine.

good luck
    2c waves curls.

Started the CG routine again!! since Februari 8 2011

http://www.glamourace-collies.blogspot.nl/
    Antje wrote: »
    Yes there is a sticky for startint the CG routine and it explaines it very well.

For some cones are bad for some not, only if you strictly want to be a CG then you should not use cones a conditioner will not wash it out.

There are some low poo's who will. But before you start CG you really must wash your hair with a sulfate shampoo to get rid of all cones and stuff that is in your hair and then start the CG routine.

good luck

What else can I use when I get out of the shower? My hair is a big, frizzy, undefined mess if I don't put anything in it when I get out of the shower. :/

• thecurly1thecurly1 Registered Users Posts: 103
    I found that if I put some cond. in my hair right after the shower fights the frizz and defines the curl. Just make sure your not protein sensitive and if u are find a cond w/o proteins! I first started puting cond in in place of the serums but didnt know my hair hated proteins and wal-laaa frizzzz. Well thats what has worked for me the last few times LOL!
    very new at this so please correct me if im leading BrittneeAubreex3 in the wrong direction.
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:

good luck

What else can I use when I get out of the shower? My hair is a big, frizzy, undefined mess if I don't put anything in it when I get out of the shower. :/

You could start by leaving in some of the conditioner you used or take a leave in conditioner.
    Then you could use a CG friendly gel or curl cream

If you check the curlmart here at NC you can sort out for CG friendly products!
    I also do that, and then I order some stuff just in my own country.
    2c waves curls.

thecurly1 wrote: »
    I found that if I put some cond. in my hair right after the shower fights the frizz and defines the curl. Just make sure your not protein sensitive and if u are find a cond w/o proteins! I first started puting cond in in place of the serums but didnt know my hair hated proteins and wal-laaa frizzzz. Well thats what has worked for me the last few times LOL!
    very new at this so please correct me if im leading BrittneeAubreex3 in the wrong direction.

How do you know if you're protein sensitive? I tried putting some conditioner in as like gel but it's really griddy. :/

good luck

You could start by leaving in some of the conditioner you used or take a leave in conditioner.
    Then you could use a CG friendly gel or curl cream

If you check the curlmart here at NC you can sort out for CG friendly products!
    I also do that, and then I order some stuff just in my own country.

I looked online, but I don't really know what to look for. :/ I tried using my conditioner as gel but it made my hair really griddy.

Curly hair products | Curly hair care :: Curly Girl & No-Poo

Here's an awsome link, here you will find all CG friendly products!
    2c waves curls.

Curly hair products | Curly hair care :: Curly Girl & No-Poo

Here's an awsome link, here you will find all CG friendly products!

Thank you so much, I'm not sure what to buy because I don't really know anything about my hair, so I'm going to experiment.

Maybe they sell some triall size products, you could start with that.

I'm always loving curl junkie products but also jessie curl is great.

you really should get to know your hair and everything will be much easier.

good luck.
    2c waves curls.

Maybe they sell some triall size products, you could start with that.

I'm always loving curl junkie products but also jessie curl is great.

you really should get to know your hair and everything will be much easier.

good luck.

I don't know how to. :/

Britt, you're going to have to start simple. Just get a conditioner, a leave in, and a gel. Make sure they are cone free. For now, what brand does not matter. What matters is getting more moisture. Once you start taking care of your hair, your curls will get better and you'll be able to find out your properties and curl type.

It's safe to assume you have high porosity hair, since you bleached it and straightened it for a while. If you put all your hair in a pony tail, what's the circumference? If you take one hair, how does it feel between your fingers? Take one from the front, the back, your canopy and see if you can actually feel the hair or not. If you can hardly feel it, you'll have fine hair, if you can easily feel it, you have medium hair, if it feels thick, you have coarse hair.

As I told you in my PM's, you'll have to figure a lot of things out for yourself. No one here is going to have a pre-packaged solution for you.

HTH

event.png

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
    nikske wrote: »
    Britt, you're going to have to start simple. Just get a conditioner, a leave in, and a gel. Make sure they are cone free. For now, what brand does not matter. What matters is getting more moisture. Once you start taking care of your hair, your curls will get better and you'll be able to find out your properties and curl type.

It's safe to assume you have high porosity hair, since you bleached it and straightened it for a while. If you put all your hair in a pony tail, what's the circumference? If you take one hair, how does it feel between your fingers? Take one from the front, the back, your canopy and see if you can actually feel the hair or not. If you can hardly feel it, you'll have fine hair, if you can easily feel it, you have medium hair, if it feels thick, you have coarse hair.

As I told you in my PM's, you'll have to figure a lot of things out for yourself. No one here is going to have a pre-packaged solution for you.

HTH

I can feel it, I'd say medium? I can't find a conditioner that is cone free... any recommendations? & I have this placenta leave-in from Sally's, I have to look up the ingredients still though. But no gel. I think I'm going to get that LA gel stuff, I'm just worried about my hair feeling griddy or greasy. Since I stopped washing it so much & stopped using that coconut stuff with all the cones in it it looks better, today I actually thought it looked nice natural. <3 One more question, what's a low shampoo & how is it different from regular shampoo?

A great conditioner to cleanse with is suave naturals coconut conditioner (in my earea it is the only I can get) and for a gel I use curls in a bottle from curl junkie.

I still think when I see you list of what you use you are still into sulfates and cones.

the difference in a low-poo and shampoo is to be very simple a shampoo contains sulfates and a noo-poo doesn't.

A noo-poo is a kind of cleansing cream esspecially made for cleaning the hair.
    2c waves curls.

• beautifulRainbeautifulRain Registered Users Posts: 189
    Cone-free conditioners can seem hard to find because so many of them have silicones now. Check out the Suave Naturals line (NOT the professionals line, the Naturals line has all the fun scents like coconut, apple, strawberry, etc), V05, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (regular conditioner only, not the 3 minute deep treatment - it has mineral oil which is also hard to get out of your hair without sulfates), and TresEMME Naturals (it actually says silicone-free on the bottle). Most of your mainstream stuff is going to be loaded with cones but these are easy to find in your local walmart, target, cvs, etc, and are cone-free. Plus they are cheap too :) Gels are a little easier to find without cones. I've been having great results with LA Looks Sport gel lately. It's dirt cheap and you should have no trouble finding it in stores. Really all you need to get started, like a previous poster said, is a conditioner and a gel. You can wash with the conditioner, leave some or all of it in and the put the gel over it. See how that goes for a few weeks and you can then start to experiment more (that's the fun part :) ).
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file