CurlTalk

Why is wet hair considered unprofessional?

rolltidegalrolltidegal Posts: 307Registered Users
So this isn't exactly hall of shame material, but it was a question that I've had for a while.

Wet hair is considered sloppy and messy and unprofessional. And I can understand that hair that is dripping wet does look a bit ridiculous and has no place in an office, but I don't understand the problems with hair that's damp or half dry.

I'm sure you guys know exactly what I'm getting at here - I have really short curly hair, and I *need* a morning shower so it's not gigantic. But I also have neither the time nor the inclination to blow dry it every morning to make it "acceptable," and now that I'm in college and interning, I've gotten some funny looks for coming to work with hair that's a little wet.

What's the back story here?
Roll Tide!
I was at the 2009 and 2011 BCS National Championship Games :)

Medium-coarse, super high density, normal porosity, low elasticity.
I'm currently trying out various Curl Junkie and Devacurl products.

Fotki: fotki.com/rolltidegal
password is 'rolltide'

Comments

• porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    I'm with you. I wish it weren't considered unprofessional to have wet hair at the beginning of the day, but I never feel put-together when I go out with damp hair. I'm not a huge fan of the blowdryer (truth be told, it hurts my ears), so I usually wash my hair at night. My hair doesn't take long to dry at all, but I still feel like I'm being unprofessional with even slightly damp hair at work.

I'm in Massachusetts at the moment, so I've found myself blowdrying my hair a little more this winter. But when I was at home in North Carolina over the summer, I went to visit some friends of my grandmother, and one of them said, "You girls these days leave the house with your hair wet. I don't understand it. We would NEVER have done that when I was your age." It took me by surprise. It's 100 degrees outside! Everyone is walking around outside half naked, but to leave the house with damp hair? SCANDALOUS!
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• musicaleloquencemusicaleloquence Posts: 112Registered Users
    It's because the idea of being "put together" and ready for work includes dry, styled hair. Many companies have a dress code, and some of them do include that people should arrive to work with clean, dry hair that is out of the way.

Down here in the deep south, it's a little less like that, but I think that's because in 110% humidity, nothing's all the way dry. ;)
    Hairtype: 3a/b, normal elasticity, low porosity, medium thick & fine- my hair can't get enough protein!

*****HG Routine*****
    Cleanse: Care Cure Conditioner
    LI: Biolage Conditioning Balm (not very often used anymore, really)
    Styling: Eco Style Protein Gel and a diffuser (pixiecurl method).

event.png
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users
    Good question! I am 54 and have been enmeshed in the "professional, corporate" life for 30 years. Blow dried, flat ironed my hair to fit in for all those years. Or cut it all off to a short, man-style. Last year I just was worn out with damaged hair that didn't flatter me. One day I gave up and went in with curly, damaged, frizzy, damp hair. My hair was all the talk of my coworkers. Everything from "did u get a perm?" "oh well, you don't have to impress us" to the "looks". I spent almost a year conditioning my hair, getting a curly cut, and, yes, going to work with damp hair, even when it is 10 degrees outside. Now I get people saying "your hair looks so healthy", and they want to touch my hair because it looks so soft. I still get the "looks" in the morning from some people when my hair is damp. But maybe it's my age. I just don't give a rat's ass anymore. I feel more like me. I don't fret about my hair and am able to focus on my job. And nobody has questioned my capabilities. I walk through the corporate halls and actually feel bad for those I pass who are straightened, styled and sprayed in order to feel accepted.
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:
  • Kadi183Kadi183 Posts: 67Registered Users
    I don't really understand it either...
    When people come to school with wet hair occasionally people always ask them if they overslept and usually the people respond "Yes". So I guess leaving the house with wet hair and arriving at the job/school looks really rushed, like you didn't have the time to blow-dry your hair...not maybe people didn't want to? I've been blow-drying my hair every morning so that it looks "put-together" but my hair doesn't really like the heat, so I tried giving it a break by just using the blow-dryer until my hair is like 70-80 % dry, and it really looked nice and I haven't gotten weird comments.
    I was on a trip with a girl who never used a blow-dryer and had 3b-3c curls, she just showered in the morning and we left, she went into museums and restaurants and all that with wet hair and has never gotten weird looks...I think it's totally ok walking around with damp hair. And a lot healthier maybe.
    German Curlie :)
    2c/3a/3b, fine-medium, high porosity

Still figuring out what my hair wants! :P
    Loved yarn braids!!! :love7:

Mod-CG due to my fine hair and lots of time in a chlorinated pool.

No silicones!
    Recently using:
    Washing: Schauma Push-Up Volumen Shampoo, Hercut Shampoo for curls
    Conditioning: Garnier Fructis Volume, Garnier Arganoil Conditioner
    Styling: Loreal FX Gel, Nivea Flexible Curls Mousse

<3 Music <3
  • alaskantsunamialaskantsunami Posts: 421Registered Users
    It gets WELL below zero here, so I blow dry that way my hair doesn't freeze between the parking lot and the school. But days without school and days when it's above 30 I don't use the blow dryer.
    2C and all the 3s, iii, F, natural brunette.
    mod CG since 03.21.10

Kelso: Hey, guys? I'm thinking about getting a perm. Hyde, can I get the number of your guy?
    Hyde: I don't have a guy. This righteous moss is a gift from God.
    -That 70s Show
  • kristie911kristie911 Posts: 154Registered Users
    I think in a professional situation, it does look unprofessional to have wet hair, especially if you're dealing directly with the public. I wouldn't want to see my dentist or doctor or CPA come walking in with wet hair. But if you're going to school, I don't see why it's a big deal. Or even if you're in a job that doesn't put you in direct contact with the public...or a corporate type boss!
    3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

No Poo and loving it! Gave up my hair dryer and never looked back!

Favorite Condishs: Suave Naturals (cowash) or TRESemme Naturals
    Leave-In: CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or KCKT
    Curl Creme: AG re:coil or SS Hair Butter
    Gel: HETT, GF Gel

Product Junkie...Swap board addict!
  • aliquotaliquot Posts: 227Registered Users
    ...I've never really thought about this. But I've made it into a phd program and I go to school every day with wet hair. Screw them if they think I'm a slob or something, lol. In a few hours, my hair is gorgeous.

I probably wouldn't go to an interview or something with wet hair, though.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    I go to work with damp hair. I usually keep a curl cloth in my car, as well as paper towels/napkins to prevent drippies when I walk into the building. I think slightly damp is fine, especially if you're not meeting with clients. For those of us with nonstraight hair, leaving hair slightly damp to dry is usually best.

And for the comment about older generations. I think most people in their 50s and above didn't wear their hair naturally. They always styled it with rollers and curling irons, which would demand dry hair for a finished look. Or at least that just my perspective on it.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    I go to work with damp hair every day. I don't feel great about it..... I always hope it will look somewhat presentable by the time I get to my first class. Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't.

If it gets to the point where it looks more "producty" than "wet," I can live with that. Some people look producty all the time! But I try to stay hidden from the "higher ups" if it's in the drowned rat stage.

I don't seem to care enough to use a blowdryer which, in the long run, is counterproductive for me.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users
    Something else I was thinking about is that it could also make a difference about what profession you are in. Even though I work in a corporation setting, my specialty is more on the creative end. People might give me a little more leeway - "Well, she's a designer - sometimes they're a little quirky." I might not be judged as much as someone in other professions.
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:
  • NitemoonNitemoon Posts: 35Registered Users
    In the summer, I usually leave the house with damp hair in the mornings. In the winter I have to wash it in the evenings so that it has time to air dry. My hair takes forever to get completely dry. As long as your hair is not soaking wet, I don't think it looks that unprofessional. Of course, my mom would probably totally disagree with me.
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    As someone who has gone to class with wet/dripping/damp/everything hair, I have to say...it's gross. Sorry to be so blunt, but really--I look at it like body fluid dripping from the hair (how do I know that's fresh water and not massive amounts of sweat? How do I know that that's fresh water and not DIRTY water that's mingled with the dirt from your scalp and hair? Why should I assume that your hair's clean?):sad:

Like I said, I've gone to class (and work!) with drippy hair because in the end I have my priorities and when it comes down to getting some place on time or having having dry hair, I know what to do.

But I ALWAYS feel badly for the people around me when I stroll out like that. I'd be horrified if some stranger in public was slopping water from their head all around and on me. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion :D No malice intended, just adding to why it may be considered unprofessional. Perhaps others are equating it with being unsanitary.
  • farmgirl598farmgirl598 Posts: 33Registered Users
    When my hair is wet, i usually just slick it back and braid it loosely til it is dry. no one seems to know whether it is wet, or just "gelled"
  • KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    I think it's considered unprofessional because it can give the impression that you didn't finish grooming yourself or are only halfway done getting ready for work. Similar to how wrinkly clothes aren't seen as professional - sure, your ass is still covered, but it looks like you didn't put the effort in.

Of course this is all based on the idea that people don't let their hair air dry and everybody uses a blow dryer. So I'm not saying it's fair or curly-friendly. But I think that's why people see it as unprofessional.
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    For myself, I totally get why damp hair isn't considered professional. Looking professional means being dressed appropriately and well groomed: hair done, nails clean, body showered, etc.

That said, I go to work with damp hair a few days a month. My schedule is varied, and so sometimes I just worked out and life happens. But the reason I feel I can do this is because I don't typically interact with clients in person or the public at all, so I don't think it's a big deal.

It's like wearing jeans. Any time I do meet with a client or work in the public eye, my hair is completely done and I would never wear jeans. I'd be mortified to show up with damp hair or in jeans to those types of occasions. But on a regular work day, mostly spent at the computer, jeans are okay, and damp hair for an hour or two is fine.
    AmberBrown wrote: »
    As someone who has gone to class with wet/dripping/damp/everything hair, I have to say...it's gross. Sorry to be so blunt, but really--I look at it like body fluid dripping from the hair (how do I know that's fresh water and not massive amounts of sweat? How do I know that that's fresh water and not DIRTY water that's mingled with the dirt from your scalp and hair? Why should I assume that your hair's clean?):sad:

Like I said, I've gone to class (and work!) with drippy hair because in the end I have my priorities and when it comes down to getting some place on time or having having dry hair, I know what to do.

But I ALWAYS feel badly for the people around me when I stroll out like that. I'd be horrified if some stranger in public was slopping water from their head all around and on me. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion :D No malice intended, just adding to why it may be considered unprofessional. Perhaps others are equating it with being unsanitary.

I don't think you'll find your opinion unpopular at all! Even the OP singled out sopping wet hair as being understandably not-okay. She seems to speaking more of damp hair. However, I can see how the thread title might have been misleading, because it does say "wet."
  • openseasonopenseason Posts: 63Registered Users
    I know of several old ladies (now I'm talking 70+) who would NEVER step outside thier front door without every hair in place, clothes freshly pressed, and shoes shined.
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    KeLynn wrote: »
    I think it's considered unprofessional because it can give the impression that you didn't finish grooming yourself or are only halfway done getting ready for work. Similar to how wrinkly clothes aren't seen as professional - sure, your ass is still covered, but it looks like you didn't put the effort in.

Of course this is all based on the idea that people don't let their hair air dry and everybody uses a blow dryer. So I'm not saying it's fair or curly-friendly. But I think that's why people see it as unprofessional.

I think this sums it up pretty well.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• NancyV908NancyV908 Posts: 108Registered Users
    porque_pig wrote: »
    KeLynn wrote: »

I think this sums it up pretty well.

+1 ITA, & when I first started thinking about this question--which is so interesting! I had never really thought about *why* I felt this way--wrinkled clothes came to mind.

I agree too that it's very frustrating...of course, I tend to dry my hair largely b/c I just get too cold otherwise. But still, it's a pain that it can be so hard to incorporate air drying into daily life. I remember yrs ago, when I first started looking into how to deal with my hair, I repeatedly came across rules saying "You must only air dry." That turned me off completely, b/c it was unrealistic for me.
    My properties
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave-in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut; looking for a replacement for the no-longer-CG Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Gel Looking for a replacement for the discontinued LAL blue gel. Also thinking I need a low- or no-humectant gel for high-dew days, but haven't figured that one out.
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users
    I think it depends on your job. Do you deal with clients, the public, etc.?
    Also, are we talking about dripping wet, or damp, oor something in between? I've been going to work with "wet" hair for years, and still do, and its never been a problem. I don't get funny looks or comments or anything like that. This is over the span of 3 jobs, too, not just one job. But I don't see clients or customers, I just work at a computer all day and see my coworkers.
    I used to have a job where I did have to go to meetings and meet with people, and in those instances, I just made sure my hair was dry.
    But even so, I'd never go towork with dripping wet, soaking hair. But only because that is just uncomfortable. I go with wet/damp hair though.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    Exactly! I was talking to some other curlies at my school - one straightens, one uses silicones and sulfates, etc, and another retouches with a curling iron.

They all shower at night, but I shower in the morning, and one was like "But isn't your hair wet in the morning?"

Me: "Yeah... but it dries..."
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I never thought about it, but I guess my hair is almost always damp whenever I go out. I never got any dirty looks or comments.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • Unexpected CurlyUnexpected Curly Posts: 53Registered Users
    I am glad for this thread. I am really new to the being curly thing, and I still feel kind of like Peter Parker waking up one morning and finding out that he can now walk on walls and ceilings like he can the floor. So, I am still learning to "deal with" curls and moisture while realizing that I don't deal with them, they deal with me.

This morning I had wet hair when starting at 8AM (I had arrived at my place of employment around 7:10AM or so because working at a grocery store you can just buy breakfast there anyway and I had decided on breakfast there) after having gotten out of the shower at 6:10AM and let my hair begin air drying. I went in and went over to look at the bakery cold case to look for deals. I said "Good morning bakery" like I usually do and in response got an open mouthed stare from a lady (whom I have known for years and get along with well on a co-worker basis) and her eyes went wide. My hair was still pretty wet; it was also foggy and drippy when I was going to work this morning. "You need a hair cut" was what came out of her mouth, and another bakery worker whom I have known even longer than the fist one, chimed in with the same "Yes you do need a hair cut". (These two are straight haired and over 55.) I responded by saying that I did not, and that the hair was not in my eyes (as they were insisting it was), which at the moment it was but I could push it out and I wasn't starting for about another hour, in which time I knew it would be an over-all non-issue.

My hair was wet sure, but when one cannot towel or hair dryer hair, because the result is a giant frizz ball, what is one to do? Even combing is not a very good idea in excess. I combed enough to get some water off the hair to help speed the drying process a little bit at home before leaving for work, but again, that is tempting frizz. I have thick hair, drying takes time. I think the hair was finally dry by about nine thirty in the morning. So, for me, this is a real question too. While I do not want to go in with a sopping head of hair, other than a hair net and hair dryer, how to dry the hair?

So far management is cool, or at least not saying anything about it. It seems like since I have been letting my hair grow out and my beard, that the male store manager and the male assistant manager have been treating me with more respect. Customers have given my hair and beard great compliments, both men and women. Younger women give me the eye in the aisles. I finally said to the bakery ladies, "I have curly hair, it's not getting cut." and walked off with them still going on about my needing a hair cut and related commentary.

I think a lot of this issue with wet hair regards personal presentation (as many other people have said). I think that part of presentation is balance. I am not shaving in part because my skin is dry (eczema) and Winter is a bad time for it. On the other hand too, it helps balance out my appearance with my hair so that I do not look like I am going to fall backwards. Perhaps if the "bigness" of the hair is an issue that is being subconsciously coupled with the wetness of the hair there is a ready remedy for women. Perhaps if a necklace of some sort were worn on the front, that had a large pendant, or was a nice looking layered jewelry piece, then perhaps the presentation would appear to be more balanced. If I have no idea what I am talking about here, please tell me. This realm of curliness is quite new and I have never been a woman (nor would want to be a woman, like being a guy quite a bit) so I am sure I could be completely off on this one.

Anyway, thank you for the posts.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know, seeing people walk around with wet hair has always kind of grossed me out a bit--no matter whether it's straight or curly. I remember sitting behind a girl in church some Sundays and she had waist-length, straight hair that she'd leave fairly wet, like she just showered and threw on clothes to come. And this was afternoon church--it's not like she had to be there by 8am. I was always baffled by the fact that she was okay with just leaving it wet. I'm trying to put into words what feels wrong about it...and I think it's mostly that it looks like you're still in the middle of your grooming process, and it calls attention to itself and feels too personal, maybe?

For work, though, I do think it does look unfinished, and unprofessional. I think a lot of people would tend to wonder why a person didn't shower the night before or get up early enough to finish grooming before coming into work. It looks like you had to leave the house early and didn't have time to finish your routine.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • strssmnkystrssmnky Posts: 51Registered Users
    I could shower every night if I wanted but I would still have to shower in the morning again. I get night sweats real bad. And I'm not even near menopause. So I co-wash every morning. But I get up at 4:30 am too. I'm out of the shower by 5 and take down my plop by 5:20. Here's where it gets good though. I leave for work about 5:50 and I walk in the door about 7:20. Yes, it takes about and hour and a half to get to work. So my hair has quite a bit of drying time in the car.

It's still a little damp when I walk in but not bad and certainly not dripping. But it wouldn't bother me if it was wetter and I don't think it would bother my immediate coworkers. I work with 6 guys, 5 of whom are going bald. Actually I dare them to say anything to the only woman in their group. Might not be a pretty sight. :eek:
    3a/3b, iii, medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG since 1/1/2011

Co-wash - Suave Naturals
    RO/LI- GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR, KCKT, TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey Conditioner, Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner
    DT - Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix Moisturizing Conditioner, AOHR, KCKT
    Styling -CJCCCC, HETT, Biotera Styling Gel, AVG, Boots Curl Cream, Eco Styler
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    I am grateful for all these prospectives. I am entering the "real" working world soon (meaning I am graduating from college and getting an entry level job).

I work in an professional environment now and have come into the office with damp hair. I don't really have a choice: I used to have to be at work by 8 or 8:30 and had to spend an hour on public transit, so even getting up at 6 am to shower doesn't really give me enough time for my hair to dry completely.

So far my boss hasn't cared, I am the youngest in the office and have been given permission to dress causally because my job is 100% behind the scenes.

That being said, I am looking for a much better, much more professional full time job and should probably really try to look nice every day.

I have never left the house with dripping wet hair, its always damp at most. Is that so bad? Most of the time its about half dry. My hair is also a dark brown, so the color it is when wet is not much different from when it is dry.

I feel for curly girls out there, our hair can take a long time to dry and when we have to be at jobs early in the morning, damp hair seems like the easiest option.

I hate using my diffuser, but if I need to in order to get a good job, I'll do it.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    So this isn't exactly hall of shame material, but it was a question that I've had for a while.

Wet hair is considered sloppy and messy and unprofessional. And I can understand that hair that is dripping wet does look a bit ridiculous and has no place in an office, but I don't understand the problems with hair that's damp or half dry.

I'm sure you guys know exactly what I'm getting at here - I have really short curly hair, and I *need* a morning shower so it's not gigantic. But I also have neither the time nor the inclination to blow dry it every morning to make it "acceptable," and now that I'm in college and interning, I've gotten some funny looks for coming to work with hair that's a little wet.

What's the back story here?

I've had the same thought before! Unless you're difussing because it helps you style your hair, what's the point?
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • smashleighfigsmashleighfig Posts: 83Registered Users
    I'm a teacher, but I have never experienced any hateful glares or remarks about my coming in with damp hair. I always say other women (mostly curlys) going in with wet hair. Curly's just have a different hair type, luckily people here (Chicago) don't seem to mind :)

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that though :(
    Ashleigh Elizabeth
    CG Since 7/2/2011
    In Between 2c & 3a
    CO WASH- Suave Naturals
    CONDISH- Sally's Generic value products conditioning balm
    LEAVE IN- KCKT
    STYLE- Ice Queen method
    GELS- LA Looks Absolute styling sport // IC hair polisher styling gel with sparkle lites
    HG- KCC = AMAZING! My secret weapon!
    FINISH- Plop // Pixiecurl diffuser method (on occasion)
    Learning To Embrace My Curls!
    :sunny:
  • LiannaLianna Posts: 36Registered Users
    I rather have "gross damp hair" every morning than gross smelly dirty hair because I couldn't wash it, or fried hair from heat tools.

At least, I always smell GOOD. I wonder what's more professional, clean or dirty!!
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is usually barely damp when I get to work, but its quite damp when I leave the house. Depending on how much gel I use, it tends to have the wet look even when dry. It is what it is. It's taken me a long time to find products that work well with my curls. I am hoping that nice clean curls outweigh the wet look whether it's product induced or really wet.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    Wow.

Then I have no idea what I'm going to do once I enter the working world. My hair will stay damp for 8+ hours. It takes me washing it being out all day and sleeping on it for it to dry fully.

When I first went natural I would have the "drippies" for hours at a time. And people would always ask me if I was sweating. I never knew people felt this way about wet hair :confused3:....now I'm just embarassed
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser