Curl Junkie OK for fine low, low density hair?

DailyMantraDailyMantra Posts: 38Registered Users
I'm new here and love this site! I keep seeing people who like Curl Junkie. My low density fine hair does "puff up" (in a somewhat good way) and therefor look like it has more volume, but then I have a bit of frizz. If I follow the CG method to the T, I get limp curls, but no frizz. Also, gel really hardens on my fine hair and sort of pieces it out too much. When I scrunch it out, I can loose curl definition.

Any words of wisdom? I'm hoping that by taking better care of my curls, I will eventually not be so thin. But also, I just stopped taking birth control a few months ago, and have been loosing more hair.

2c/3a fine, low density, medium high porosity on ends
Speak nicely to yourself. Every day.
"That so few dare to be eccentric marks the chief danger of our time." John Stuart Mill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2c-3a, fine, thin, porous on ends, normal elasticity
CG February 2011
Suave Tropical Coconut Co
V05 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Lime Co
Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid Soap
Apple Cider Vinegar rinses
Clip at the roots
Diffuser/pixie method
Seeking good pomade to seal and hold the curls

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have fine, low porosity, low density hair. I started out as a 2 something/3a when I first came on to this website. Now my hair looks like my signature picture every day. I do a modified CG routine because I use natural soap bars to cleanse (they were very popular 20 months ago but have fallen into disfavor by some) and an occasional CJ Daily Fix cleanse for it's chelating properties. CJ products are great, you should give some of them a try.

I use jelly products, but not gel products (the ones with all the chemicals.) I feel that the gel products make my hair frizz.

Good luck on your curly journey.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DailyMantraDailyMantra Posts: 38Registered Users
    Your hair is beautiful, Kathymack! And I see you highlight...good to know. I'm growing mine out to a healthier state for a while and think I will go back to highlighted at some point.

I've thought about getting shampoo bars recently. The ones available in the stores here are J.L. Riggets, or something? I wonder why they've fallen out of favor...

Thanks for all the great product advice.
    Speak nicely to yourself. Every day.
    "That so few dare to be eccentric marks the chief danger of our time." John Stuart Mill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2c-3a, fine, thin, porous on ends, normal elasticity
    CG February 2011
    Suave Tropical Coconut Co
    V05 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Lime Co
    Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid Soap
    Apple Cider Vinegar rinses
    Clip at the roots
    Diffuser/pixie method
    Seeking good pomade to seal and hold the curls
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the compliment.

I use natural soap bars (they are more super fatted) on hair and body. Soap bars are alkaline and you need to do an ACV rinse after you use them to restore your hair's pH balance. Some feel that they compromise the acid mantel of the hair. I've been using them for almost 2 1/2 years with no issues. They are also problematic with very hard water--mineral build up. I'm careful about ingredients. My hair doesn't like castor oil and I had trouble with the CV bars.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file