I need help!!

HI! Im curently trying lean off of washing my hair so much and Im trying to find a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for my curly hair, but there are soo many choices! Im confused. Can somebody give me somes recommendations?

Hair info:I have ringlets, buy my hair gets flat really easy. My scalp gets really greasy and itchy like, a day after washing it even though I use sauves clarifying shampoo(im guessing theres something better to use).

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I have extremely fine hair which is primarily 3B, but has areas which are 3A, and 3C. Since reading the new (second) edition of Curly Girl, I am personally having really good luck using a mixture of DevaCurl LoPoo with DevaCurl AnGEL to wash my hair. Since my 3A areas which aren't long enough to form ringlets act a lot like wavy hair, I decided to borrow the technique of mixing gel in with my sulfate free cleanser. I am amazed how much more root lift I have, and how easy it is to revive it in the morning by simply scrubbing my roots with damp fingertips.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Sorry, I meant to mention the shampoo and conditioner.

Using a shampoo with sulfate detergents is harmful to hair, and particularly for naturally curly hair, which I'm guessing you know already. The Suave Naturals shampoo shouldn't be used except as a final, clarifying step before starting CG, or for some extraordinary event of cone exposure, such as a non-compliant hairdresser. Low-poos are much less harsh (unless the manufacturer, such as Burt's Bees, loaded them with large amounts of other surfactant_s_)

If you want a low-poo (sulfate free shampoo) which is available on the ground, I've heard only good things about the Giovanni and Trader Joe's shampoos, which are sulfate and cone free. DevaCurl and DevaCare LoPoo and NoPoo can be found at salons which carry Deva products. Both of Jessicurl's sulfate free cleansers are excellent IMO, and can be found at salons listed on their website. Kinky Curly Come Clean is generally available at Whole Foods.

My favorite conditioner is Jessicurl Aloeba (and I also love their Weekly Deep Treatment). Many people like Deva's OneCondition. (I had the DevaCurl version and couldn't get past the aroma.) My favorite mass market conditioner has been retired by the manufacturer, and I'm still using some that I got when it was being discontinued, so that's no help.

While the Suave Naturals conditioners and VO5 conditioners are excellent for co-washing, they're really not anything to write home about as far as conditioning is concerned. They're not drying, but they're also not rich enough to moisturize well.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • rayraybojingjangrayraybojingjang Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you! You helped me out quite a bit
  • rayraybojingjangrayraybojingjang Registered Users Posts: 3
    Would starting out with these products be okay?
    Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo
    Jane Carter Solution Moisture Nourishing Shampoo and Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file