Co-wash question!

I just recently started co-washing and it seemed to be helping in most ways... I thought. But then I went and got my hair cut and came home and used a sulfate shampoo and my hair seemed to have more life to it and it actually looked better. Now I have gone a few days just co washing again and it just doesn't feel or look as good as it did after freshly washing it? I co-wash with suave naturals coconut and I'm always sure to wash it out. Has anyone else had this happen?

My hair was 'blah' enough for me to have been wearing it straight the last two days. I need help! Please :)

Comments

• nikskenikske Registered Users Posts: 556
    How do you define "not looking good"? Does this mean it's frizzier, is less defined, more limp, too much volume? Please explain.

Some people find that suave is not moisturizing enough, I don't know though, because I don't use it.

Also, a lot of wavies and some curlies go the modified cg route. They do poo regularly. It's all about what works for you, so if you don't like going completely cg, tweak it to your needs.
    Wurly 2b/2c/3a Miii - high porosity

event.png

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
  • TxCurly0820TxCurly0820 Registered Users Posts: 39
    All of the above except for being limp, by the end of the day my curls were loose and I had more frizz which made my hair bigger.

What conditioner do you use if you don't mind me asking?
    Inecto Pure Coconut Oil. Very moisturizing, which I do need since I have extremely dry, porous hair.

Is your hair fine, medium, thick, low/high porosity etc? Do you have more of a wave or a curl? What products do you use aside from the cowash? Gel? LI?

Can you tell me how your hair feels when you take a few strands and rub them between your fingers? Mushy, normal, squeaky, brittle?

event.png

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
    My hair is fine, and what I would consider normal porosity although it does feel dry. I have been strictly straightening my hair everyday for the last 6 years and now that my hair is getting the moisture it needs it is slowly starting to feel more moisturized. My hair is curly (3a) I've been using KCCC and that was doing a pretty good job on keeping my hair looking good at first but now it is not, although I think that has more to do with the conditioner than the KCCC.

When I rub my hair together I think it feels brittle, but not incredibly so. I'm on my phone right now but I think there is a pic of my hair right after the sulfate wash in the 3a forum. (my old S/N was jodirae0820).

Thanks for your help!
    Fine hair that has been straightened for a few years consistently and feels brittle.

There are probably 2 ways to go here. First, I'd try a DT with lots of moisture. This to me always seems the safest route, it's easier to correct too much moisture than it is to correct too much protein. You do not seem overconditioned, otherwise your hair would feel mushy if you rub it between your fingers.

If this doesn't help, you may want to try a protein treatment, but make sure it's a light one (since your hair feels brittle), and use plenty of moisturizer after if your hair feels like straw. Try IAgirl's homemade PT, it's not too heavy if you stick to her basic recipe.

As for your hair losing curl at the end of the day, this may have to do with the products you use. Do you use gel? You may want to try a medium or hard hold gel (over FSG) to keep your curls from "sagging". It'll also keep your hair from frizzing.

event.png

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
  • AntjeAntje Registered Users Posts: 94
    Maybe a bit of topic, but is the inecto coconut conditioner CG friendly???
    I used to use it when I was still shampooing.
    But I didn't now if I could use it for Co-washing.
    2c waves curls.

Started the CG routine again!! since Februari 8 2011

http://www.glamourace-collies.blogspot.nl/
    Sorry nikske, I just now saw your reply when I saw someone else comment on it. This week I seemed to have made a huge improvement although it still needs to be tweaked some. I think I might be low porosity since my hair is really squeaky when I do the strand test. My hair doesn't seem to be a big fan of cowash so I try not to do it so often. Just give my scalp a good scrub upside down in the shower and then put KCKT as a leave in and my hair has been handling much better since... Diffusing helped A LOT too! Thanks for your help!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file