washing out oils

mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
hi curlies,

i've been cg and modified cg for ages, but i've never faced this quandary before, and wonder if anyone has suggestions.

this winter, my scalp has been excruciatingly dry. recently i've been massaging it with jojoba oil, and while this helps immensely, i'm a bit stumped about how to wash it out.

it doesn't really come all the way out with a co-wash, and it looks quite greasy for a day or two until it absorbs into my hair - not a good look. i'm wondering if a lemon-conditioner wash will do the trick? i don't want to use any shampoo, or even low-poo, as that will dry my scalp out even more.

thanks in advance if you have any suggestions!

m

p.s. i use t.joe's nourish for co wash and rinse out. i don't use any leave in (don't need it) or product, really.
coarse, thick 3a
modified cg

weight.png

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Maybe try an ACV rinse to remove the oils from your hair, or do a baking soda scrub and an ACV rinse afterward? It is somewhat clarifying and will probably remove the extra grease from your hair in a natural way.

I find the best way to remove oils, though, is to low poo them out. :)

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    You might find it works better to massage your scalp with moistened fingertips. Dryness indicates lack of water. What oil does is provide a barrier. Or moisten with water, then use a smaller amount of oil. If you remove all the oil, you're just going to be back where you were before.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • MaciMaci Registered Users Posts: 180
    I oil my scalp and hair regularly (2-3x per week) before wash/cowashing. If I cowash after, I use a really light conditioner like VO5 to get the oil out. If you are still having problems maybe go a little easier on the oil or switch them up.

I find jojoba sits on my hair and is a little harder to get out since it's technically a plant wax. If I use jojoba, I will either sleep with a plastic cap and turban to keep the heat in. Using jojoba with heat gets it into my scalp better to help dryness. I also really like sweet almond oil and a mix called Pooka Nectar Hair Oil (buy @ whole foods).
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file