What do you think accounts for this?

Here is my hair diary so far... I can't figure this out:

Day 1 – I washed with baking soda, and did an ACV rinse, then I used suave coconut as a LI and did my usual CJ curl queen over it. It dried okay – fluffy but also frizzy (so I spritzed and did KCCC and that worked nicely for a little while) but the more the day went on the drier it started to feel until the end of the day it felt very dry - like I had dead ends (even though I just got a trim). second day, I had crunchy feeling ends, dryness and frizz.

Day 2 – I cowashed with Suave coconut and used it as a LI and then I just used KCCC over top. Fine, until it fully dried by the end of the night and it just got progressively drier and drier and frizzy… by the next day it was bone dry (like it feels fried, and there’s no reason why it should!) and then the second day it was just gross.

I don’t like that I have to wash (even cowash) my hair every day.

Day 3, cowashed again with Suave and did a suave LI and then used SS FHG… so far, nice, shiny, soft .. .but we’ll see by tonight. Later at night, it was okay

Day 4 – didn’t wash. Okay. Not insanely dry.

So ... wonder why things were INSANELY dry with just suave and CJ CQ and KCCC but not so bad with FHG - they're all glycerin free, and all have aloe. Not sure? (FHG seems to have some protein?)

I'm just trying to keep it simple right now and figure out what is going on with my hair.
3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
(don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!

Comments

• jenniferfelicejenniferfelice Posts: 18Registered Users
    I could be completely wrong but from what I've heard and experienced, Suave isn't very moisturizing and since baking soda and ACV are very drying you may just need to use a conditioner that is a bit more moisturizing for a few days to get your hair back into action :)

HTH
    3b curly, medium texture and porosity?

CO wash: Suave Ocean Breeze, Strawberry or Treseme Naturals

Rinse Out: Giovanni 50:50 or Biolage Conditioning Balm

Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, DLI, Suave conditioners, KCKT

Stylers: KCCC, Aussie Volume Gel, HE SMU, Biotera Curl Creme and Styling Gel (HGs), FSG!!

DT: JWCT

Experimenting with: Boots

Lots of experimenting but finally got a routine down :)

CG since Jan. 10/11
  • nikskenikske Posts: 556Registered Users
    Your hair may react to the aloe. Some people's hair can't handle it. Try eliminating that and see if that works.

If it doesn't try eliminating the protein, although protein sensitivity is rare.

The thing is to be systematic in your approach, so try and eliminate one product at the time, add in one product at the time.

HTH
    Wurly 2b/2c/3a Miii - high porosity

event.png

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
  • hecatemelhecatemel Posts: 31Registered Users
    I have used Suave (coconut) as a cowash and a leave-in and while it usually feels very slippy and soft when I apply it, it seems that once I wash it out my hair gets very dry (even when I use it as a leave-in).

I have heard from my hairstylist that Suave is not really very good for hair, she claimed that it left my hair really damaged and thinned out at the ends. I've since gone off Suave and I found that the condition of my hair has improved and I've got more waves without much encouragement (even in this winter weather!)

Perhaps you might want to try switching out your Suave for something else?

2b/c, thick, medium-coarse and Currently using

Deep condition: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low Poo
    Condition: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave In
    Style: Herbal Essences Set Me Up
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    The protein in the SS FHG is silk protein. Silk protein leaves my hair soft.
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    crazywaves wrote: »
    The protein in the SS FHG is silk protein. Silk protein leaves my hair soft.
    I have to be careful with protein. Silk protein is fine in my hair, but the protein in Suave Coconut really dried me out after about a week.
    I would try taking a break from the Suave. If youre looking for a cheapie cowash, try VO5 Clairfying Mint Tea condish, or really any of the VO5's except for the Moisture Milks - I believe they have protein.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    hecatemel wrote: »
    I have used Suave (coconut) as a cowash and a leave-in and while it usually feels very slippy and soft when I apply it, it seems that once I wash it out my hair gets very dry (even when I use it as a leave-in).

I have heard from my hairstylist that Suave is not really very good for hair, she claimed that it left my hair really damaged and thinned out at the ends. I've since gone off Suave and I found that the condition of my hair has improved and I've got more waves without much encouragement (even in this winter weather!)

This. Although I do use other suave conditioners for co-washing, I always am alternating them and never use them more than two days in a row. Usually because I can start to feel this weird film on my scalp and I like to clear it off. The first two days with Pomegranate suave conditioner as a co-wash though are really great.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Suave conditioners seems to dry out my hair as well as make my scalp really itchy.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
    I could be completely wrong but from what I've heard and experienced, Suave isn't very moisturizing and since baking soda and ACV are very drying you may just need to use a conditioner that is a bit more moisturizing for a few days to get your hair back into action :)

HTH

Actually, suave is suprisingly slippy as a RO - it literally MELTS away all my tangles. ... as a LI, you may be right, though, it's not moisturizing enough.

Yesterday, I used DM Curl Gelly and got too much shrinkage (which usually happens with that) - though the moisture held out...

Today, I was looking for CEJ, but couldn't find any- so I used Simply Aloe Jelly (something like that)

nikske wrote: »
    Your hair may react to the aloe. Some people's hair can't handle it. Try eliminating that and see if that works.

If it doesn't try eliminating the protein, although protein sensitivity is rare.

The thing is to be systematic in your approach, so try and eliminate one product at the time, add in one product at the time.

HTH

Yep, good idea - though today I pretty much used pure aloe! So I guess we'll see how it does - if it's not bad, then I assume I'm not sensitive to aloe.

Protein I do well with.

Glycerin it's hard to tell - sometimes yes, sometimes no.

There is aloe in FHG, but it's aloe powder? Not sure if that makes a difference or not; my hair always does well with FHG though.

hecatemel wrote: »

Well, TBH, I NEVER would have used something like Suave - I try to do a little higher end cause my curls are demanding! :)

But the woman from the CurlGenie place told me to try this (along with the baking soda/acv) to "see what's going on with my hair." So I did.

But I agree, it's feeling like not a go -

I think I'll start a sep. post about what LIs are good for my hair type.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file