My shampoo is drying out my canopy!

MHassonMHasson Posts: 46Registered Users
What the french toast! Soooo, I just got some sulfate free shampoo (Giovanni Tea Tree Tingle) and it's making my canopy dry! What the heck! I heard shampoo's strip the hair of it's natural oils . . .but DAMN!

I have reallyyyyy dry scalp, so I have to shampoo to get all that stuff out my hair. I only shampoo once a week, and I co-wash probably once between washes. I guess Im gonna have to start co-washing more and shampoo twice a month instead of 4! Big-o sighhhh

I am STILL in my transitioning process of growing out my heat damaged hair, so seeing stuff like this isn't really making me feel too good. The goods and bads of ""Trial and error".

Im thinking tho...could it also be that i might put too much shampoo or something on the top of my head?? ...bcuz only my hair at the top squeaks after I rinse it out....and its also the area where most of my heat damage is.

Any ideas ladies??
HAIR GOAL: Grow out heat damage and have a complete head of healthy curls! :)

Lovely 3C kinky-curls - HIGH Porosity - Massive amount of Heat Damage! wackk
POO : Giovanni 50/50 Balanced
CONDITIONER : Aussie (Co-Wash)
DEEP TREATMENT CONDITIONER : Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose[For Protein], still searching for a good MOISTURE conditioner, then a final rinse with ACV
STYLERS : KCKT + Unrefined Ghana Shea Butter

Comments

• NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MHasson wrote: »
    What the french toast! Soooo, I just got some sulfate free shampoo (Giovanni Tea Tree Tingle) and it's making my canopy dry! What the heck! I heard shampoo's strip the hair of it's natural oils . . .but DAMN!

I have reallyyyyy dry scalp, so I have to shampoo to get all that stuff out my hair. I only shampoo once a week, and I co-wash probably once between washes. I guess Im gonna have to start co-washing more and shampoo twice a month instead of 4! Big-o sighhhh

I am STILL in my transitioning process of growing out my heat damaged hair, so seeing stuff like this isn't really making me feel too good. The goods and bads of ""Trial and error".

Im thinking tho...could it also be that i might put too much shampoo or something on the top of my head?? ...bcuz only my hair at the top squeaks after I rinse it out....and its also the area where most of my heat damage is.

Any ideas ladies??

TTT is a low poo (with Oleifin Sulfonate (Coconut Derived) and Cocamidopropyl Betaine), and perhaps that's too stripping for your hair in combination.

One way to combat drying effect of shampoo (besides getting a new one), would be to make sure your rinse out is with a ultra rich conditioner and follow with a good LI conditioner to keep the hair hydrated.

HTH
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • MHassonMHasson Posts: 46Registered Users

Any ideas ladies??

TTT is a low poo (with Oleifin Sulfonate (Coconut Derived) and Cocamidopropyl Betaine), and perhaps that's too stripping for your hair in combination.

One way to combat drying effect of shampoo (besides getting a new one), would be to make sure your rinse out is with a ultra rich conditioner and follow with a good LI conditioner to keep the hair hydrated.

HTH

Graciaaasssss!

DEEP TREATMENT CONDITIONER : Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose[For Protein], still searching for a good MOISTURE conditioner, then a final rinse with ACV
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i suggest getting a new one. i actually love that shampoo but only use it as a clarifier once a month (at the most) because it does leave me with that squeaky clean feeling.
    btw, love your avatar.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried mixing a squirt of shampoo with a palmful of conditioner to make a moisturizing cleanser? I do this and I do not get that stripped feeling of the hair.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • MHassonMHasson Posts: 46Registered Users
    @subbrock thank you :)! Who is that little angle in your signature? She's gorgeous!

@BekkaPoo that sounds like a reallllllly good idea! I'm gonna try that! That makes perfect sense!

@subbrock thank you :)! Who is that little angle in your signature? She's gorgeous!

@BekkaPoo that sounds like a reallllllly good idea! I'm gonna try that! That makes perfect sense!

thank you, that's my little girl.

and bekka poo that does sound like a really good idea!
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    I rotate between these two AWESOME cleansing conditioning products:
    1) Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner
    2) Wen Cleansing Conditioner- right now I have Sweet Almond

I don't need to use alot of either one if I quickly put my hair under the water after applying it-- this distributes it well. My hair feels clean and very conditioned. I always use conditioner afterward. I will NOT be without these cleansing conditioners. If I had to pick just one I'd pick Curl Junkie. It is AWESOME.

Also, I will NOT be without Blended Beauty Soy Cream Shampoo. I can do a shampoo then repeat it using that and it's still very moisturized and doesn't dry it out at ALL. I love that stuff for when I want more 'cleansing' that Daily Fix or Wen. I HIGHLY suggest it.

My crown/canopy is my driest most unruly part too. The only thing that really calms that section of hair down is Hairveda Moist Condition 24-7 (just reordered the gallon salon size). It REALLY moisturizes it and takes away the frizz there. Most of the time I only put it on that section of hair.
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try applying the shampoo directly to your scalp via a color applicator bottle. This enable you to clean your scalp without stripping your hair. It works very well for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file