Question about getting hair cut dry

I've only ever been to "normal' hairdressers, but on Friday I have an appointment with a stylist who got rave reviews in the Salon Finder.

I've never had my hair cut dry. If you get a dry cut, do you just plop down in the chair and the hairdresser starts cutting your hair as-is? Or do they usually wet/cleanse it themselves, then dry before cutting?
2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.

Comments

• SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    When I got mine he sat and talked to me, picked up the curls, put them down, checked them out, then started cutting them. AFTER he cut it, then he washed and styled it, and made sure the cut didn't need any adjustments. :) Best cut my curls have ever seen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In my experience, they don't just come lunging at you with the scissors or anything, they talk to you about what you want, and pull at your hair and look through it, and evaluate, then clip it up in sections and then start cutting.

And yes, after the haircut, wash & style and re-evaluate, or now with Tiffany I usually just do wash & scrunch and go home, not the full-on styling.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    hee well I figured she wouldn't just lunge at me with scissors :mrgreen: I guess I'm nervous because I haven't been having such great hair days lately. My waves have been really limp an undefined lately. When it's wet straight out of the shower, my hair's almost as wavy as ever. But when it dries....not so great. And I'm not sure I'll figure out what's going wrong in just a few days! I'm afraid she won't even be able to see my waves or their potential if she just sees the mop on my head that my hair's been looking like at 7pm lately.
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just went on Saturday to a Devacut trained stylist. I styled my hair like usual before I went. We talked about what I wanted and he began cutting my hair. Instantly I could see the hair being tranformed right before my eyes. After that he washed conditioned and styled.

This in my opinion is the best way because you can see what is happening and if you want to make any adjustments you can right then and there.

I went to a Quidad salon in June and they shampoo first and then cut. I didn't prefer that after doing the dry method.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    When I had my hair cut dry (devacut), the stylist sat me down and asked me what I wanted from the cut. Then she started cutting each and every individual curl. It was really cool because I could see the general shape of the cut once it was done. Usually when I get my hair cut wet it's a guessing game whether I'll like it or not. My hair is thick and slow to dry so stylists never have time to dry it all the way; I don't get to see the finished cut. It was great! Although I don't recommend running late because she didn't get to go over the finished cut once dry... *sigh* Bumming rides off people tends to make you late.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights