Styling products? Don't know where to start!

mglamgla Posts: 1Registered Users
Hey curlies, I was hoping some of you could help me out. I've worn my hair natural for a few years now, but I just can't get the right styling products. I've been researching on this site, and I just don't know where to begin! Any advice/suggestions/experience? I need something to moisturize and control frizz, and give me all-day curl. Any good sample packs out there? I want that salon-perfect hair, I just can't recreate it with the products I have!

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,344Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you can get samples of many products from kathymack. go to her fotki and there is a list. pm her if you have questions.
    as to where to start - for me, it is about the right conditioner. if my hair is well moisturized, then i oftentimes do not need a styling product. sometimes i do use one.
    so, to start, i would find a great conditioner for your hair that works! for dt, and leave in. it's all a matter of personal choice and what your hair likes.
    you can also send in strand tests to livecurlylivefree.com and they will give you an analysis of your hair and a list of product recommendations, if you chose to buy both.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Do you know your hair's properties? As in, is it fine or coarse, low porosity or high porosity, dense or elastic? In case you don't, here are some links to help you out:

Thickness and texture (it says "The Wavy Tales," but it's really for all curlies):
    The Wavy Tales: How to classify your wavy hair
    Porosity:
    Porosity and Curly Hair | NaturallyCurly.com
    Elasticity:
    determining porosity and elasticity help?

If your hair is fine, it will most likely love protein, especially if it's porous. Some protein-containing drugstore gels are L.A. Looks Sport Gel, La Bella Lots of Curls, and Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (I think this has protein). If your hair is thick and coarse, it will probably dislike protein and like oils and butters and rich, moisturizing products. I believe Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Curl Cream would fall in this category, but that's a NaturallyCurly.com specialty. You might also want to check out Loreal Out of Bed Texturizing Cream and Kinky Curly Curling Custard, but these are products you probably want to layer under a gel because they are meant more for moisturizing, not hold. Some protein free gels would be Aussie Mega Hold and Got2b Spiked Up. You might want to even try making your own flaxseed gel. I can't really recommend any other products of this type to you, because I'm still in search of them myself!

Also, the right techniques have a huge impact on your hair -- even more than styling products do! Here's a link to a bunch of techniques that lots of us use to bring out the best in our curls.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html

My personal favorites are plopping and pixie curl diffusing, but you can experiment with all of them to find out which one works best for you!

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file