Easily Influenced?

kynikkikynikki Posts: 13Registered Users
I've found that recently I've become quite the product junkie in pursuit of the perfect blend of products for my ever changing hair. In the quest for the perfect product pairings, I spend a lot of times on blogs, youtubes, and forums like this looking at recommendations. And even thought the rational side of my brain says "No two people are alike and use the same regime." Something keeps making me run to see other people's opinions on stuff. As of late, NONE of them are working for me and I've got a bathroom full of stuff I can't really use. Has anyone else gone through this? I feel like the journey to finding the right regime has been harder than the whole transition that I went through.

Comments

• curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    I'm always reading other ppl's regimens seeing if anything interests me and if I want to try something out.
    I think it's totally normal. It took me a really long time to find something that worked consistently well for me, and even after I found something that worked really well I left my regimen to try a new product and I didn't like it - no big deal, I just switched back! Luckily, I have a great regimen right now and have taken a break from experimenting for the time being.

Have you found any regimen that you really like yet? You should sell all those unused products you didn't like on the swap board, or keep some of them that might work better in the summer!
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• kynikkikynikki Posts: 13Registered Users
    Than for the input. I was really close to finding a regimen that worked well and then I got a hair cut that kinda changed things, oddly enough. I'm on the search again. I think I am going to hold on to a few of my products to see how they do in the summer. I think the winter is kind of affecting the way I feel about the ones I loved before, as well.
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    I think it's normal when you're newly natural. I was never much of a product junkie, but I used to use at least three products in my hair. Right now I only use one. Took me a while to find the perfect product and I think my hair looks fantastic right now.
    Check out my personal blog :afro:

s-event.png
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like reading reviews and looking at hair that looks somewhat similar to mine, but at the end of the day I look at the ingredients and try to guess. Also, I listen to what they were looking for with a product....for instance with gels, I don't like hard hold, so if they say it had a lot of hold, it's not what I want.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    I think its just something that is going to happen for people who don't have a regimen set. You want to know what other people are using and how they are using it. The products they may be using may sound just like what you want, like no protein, or no mineral oils, or no shea butter included.

... and while no two curls are alike, that doesn't mean that the same products might not still work on your hair. You need to test products. This is something I had to make myself do before I went back out searching for more products.

Use it on dry hair, on wet hair, on blown out hair. Use it with gel over or under it, with different butters and moisturizers. The point is, sometimes, just keep it simple. You don't have use a gel, or a styling creme, or a mist(I've yet to find use for those things), sometimes, you hair thrives best with the less you put on it.

The key is, be patient. I've found that while my hair likes a couple things, it loves things that lets it breath, so butters, and coconut oil. My hair likes moisturizers that are light.

Also, just because a product is marketed as a conditioner or a moisturizer doesn't mean it has to be used as such, try it a different way. This also helps you get more use and expanding out of your products.
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• Lotsa_TanglesLotsa_Tangles Posts: 128Registered Users
    I did the same thing when I first started out. As a matter of fact I finally have the products and set reggie my hair thrives off of and yet I still try out new stuff. I'm not out for a "miracle product" I just enjoy trying different things. Some girls have a hankering for shoes, some for purses, I choose hair and nail stuff. It's fun for me.

You'll find what your hair needs, listen to the advice of the previous posters and, in addition, I suggest you keep a journal, whether it be a blog, fotki or paper and pencil. You'll want to keep up with what product combos worked, what techniques didn't, etc...enjoy your journey!
    The blog of a non-blogger: www.naturallytia.com
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i did it for years when i first started out. luckily enough there weren't blogs or youtube back then to influence me even more. it took me what felt like forever to find the perfect regimine and products for my hair and now that i have them, whenever i do stray and try something new it's not really devestating when it doesn't work.

i do do (haha i said do do:tongue3:) what elle said and look out for ingredients that i know my hair likes/dislikes and i listen to what teh reviewer said it did for their hair instead of just looking at their hair to decide whether or not i should try the product.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    At the risk of echoing what everyone else said, I learned a lot over the years.

When I first went natural (ie. stopped heat damaging my hair) the only product that was available for natural hair was Carol's Daughter - it was actually better at one time when it was much smaller. There were couple of small but growing forums and message boards online and that was pretty much it. When you thought of "blogs", you thought of Open Dairy or LiveJournal, LOL - not much going on there.

Now that we have a host of options at our fingertips, I purchase products based these criteria:

Ingredients - Products that does not contain 'cones, mineral oils and glycerin. I also don't need a lot of cheap ingredients, oils (ie. corn) and fillers. I look for quality.

Purpose - I'm less willing to spend a lot of money on conditioner when I can make my own DC out of products and ingredients I already have. I am willing to spend more on a leave-in, because that can make or break my hair.

Reviews - I try to pay attention to reviewers with similar hair types as mine. My hair has medium strands and is very porous. Even if she doesn't have my hair, I still listen to what she has to say about the product. Maybe minus for her is a plus for me. I also pay attention to reviewers that actually describe the product and how it works for them. Some people review, but they actually don't say much (just a lot of blah, blah, blah).

Price - I wrote on another forum how much I am willing to spend on each item. I'm willing to drop some coin on a good shampoo that wont strip my hair, but I'm not willing to spend a lot on conditioners since I go though them so quickly for example. There is a very small percentage of my hair budget that goes towards stylers. They are a treat, not a staple.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    I love hair products...LOVE them. I always have. I'm on no "quest" to find anything. I've tried just about all the top products, in the natural hair kingdom.

I'm usually not influenced by what others say, because by the time it's buzzing, I've either already tried it, or I'm not that interested at the time. I've also found that many folks don't use products as directed, or they're always putting something under or over it, which can be confusing when trying to figure out if a product actually works for your hair.

I don't have a hair "twin", that I know of. I go strictly by the ingredient list...the order of, as well as the actual ingredients.

No straight shea butter, ever. That's probably the only thing my hair despises. I don't mind cones in rinse out conditioners, but not so much in leave-ins. It all depends on how an ingredient is used, what else is in it, and the proportion of it to the other ingredients.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    Thanks for all of your input. Glad to know I'm not doing anything that isn't what everyone goes through. I think I'm going to take the advice of Lotsa_Tangles and start some sort of journal to document everything cause right now, I swear I try something different every time I wet my hair and I'm losing track of what's working and what's not. Thank you all, again...it's the support of fellow natural girls that is getting me through!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I went through my Fotki journal and I had listed the products I'd been through that I didn't like. This list is from one year, 2007 (the height of my PJ'ism). Keep in mind this is just the list of product I tried and didn't like, okay?

Mixed Chicks leave-in: good product but builds up fast and caused dryness on my hair
    Back to Basics Pomegranate Peach Conditioner: I'll finish out the bottle; i'ts okay but too heavy and not detangling enough
    CurlKeeper (leave-in) - swapped it; too crunchy and curls too "piecy"
    Ecostyler Gel - too heavy and volume reducing, but I can go to 3 day hair with it.
    Kinky Curly Curling Custard - 10/07 update: love it when used with Knot Today
    Curls Spiral Curls Cream (hate the smell of the original formula and the new one has 'cones)
    Origins University of Mane Gel
    Devacurl OneC
    Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles
    Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles
    Blended Beauty Styling Lotion
    Activate Hydrating Conditioner
    L'Oreal Vive Nutrigloss Conditioner for med/long curly hair (pink bottle)
    Curls Whipped Cream (styler)
    Curl Junkie Guava creme (both versions)
    Anita Grant Shampoo bar
    Naturcolor Echinacea Herbal Creme
    Devacare ArcAngell
    Jane Carter Conditioner - very nice, moisturizing, light, excellent detangler, but not a re-buy & won't replace Robert Craig

Products my hair hated (or the fragrance was just too strong) -- these are just the ones I remember!
    IC Fantasia clear
    Jamaican Mango and Lime Leave-in (don't know what version I had)
    CurlyQ Custard
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gel
    AG Recoil
    Black n' Sassy Caribbean Cream
    Glycerin
    Jojoba Oil
    Avocado oil
    Beyond the Zone Noodlehead (used this for a week and had straw at the end of the week)
    Any "curl reviving" spray -- becomes a frizz reviver on my hair
    Cantu Shea butter leave in
    Nexxus Exxtra Gel
    Jessicurl Rocking Ringlets
    Jessicurl Awe Inspiraling Spray (lots of shock, no awe)
    Burts Bees Avocado Pre-Shampoo treatment
    Trader Joe Nourish Shampoo
    Anything with silicone, SLS, petrolatum/mineral oil/parafinum, grain alcohol or SD alcohol 40
    Miss Jessies Baby Buttercreme
    Miss Jessies Curly pudding (I used for about 6 months until I couldn't stand wheezing from the smell anymore)
    Palm Kernel Oil
    Oyin Shine and Define
    Oyin Greg Juice
    L'Oreal Out of Bed Weightless Texture
    Garnier Fructis Smooth and Shine Conditioner/Leave in
    Suave Citrus Smoothie (also strips my color)

The good new is that the frenzy does slow down when you find products that work really well. I can now actually say that there are entire product lines I have never tried and don't feel compelled to try.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Wow, so I'm definitely not alone in trying a lot of stuff, haha. I've officially started my journal on my computer complete with pictures and tags for products so I can start to go through the products and each thing I do each time I do my hair. Hopefully, this will help to narrow things down to the correct regimen for me!
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    Oh, your definitely not alone. I love fotki because you don't have to do anything but put the picture up and its so easy to document what u used and see how it turned out. I used to take a picture of every step but now I usually take a pic of the results and write a good detail of products and things likke if I just washed, or if its on 3 day hair, or if its blown out, stuff like that and you will actually be able to get a good idea of what works and what doesnt.
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Nea wrote: »
    I love hair products...LOVE them. I always have. I'm on no "quest" to find anything. I've tried just about all the top products, in the natural hair kingdom.

I'm usually not influenced by what others say, because by the time it's buzzing, I've either already tried it, or I'm not that interested at the time. I've also found that many folks don't use products as directed, or they're always putting something under or over it, which can be confusing when trying to figure out if a product actually works for your hair.

I don't have a hair "twin", that I know of. I go strictly by the ingredient list...the order of, as well as the actual ingredients.

No straight shea butter, ever. That's probably the only thing my hair despises. I don't mind cones in rinse out conditioners, but not so much in leave-ins. It all depends on how an ingredient is used, what else is in it, and the proportion of it to the other ingredients.

thats me. :icescream:

thats me. :icescream:
    +1 This is funny actually...NEA I know you were not referring to me but this is why I had to change the tagline on my blog, because no one was reading the "About" section and kept emailing me about how to get the "perfect curl."
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »

+1 This is funny actually...NEA I know you were not referring to me but this is why I had to change the tagline on my blog, because no one was reading the "About" section and kept emailing me about how to get the "perfect curl."

Whuh??? Really? That IS funny. I get a lot of emails from folks "on a quest" to find their "holy grail" products. I'm a PJ...I enjoy the ride and I'm not so concerned about the destination.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture

Whuh??? Really? That IS funny. I get a lot of emails from folks "on a quest" to find their "holy grail" products. I'm a PJ...I enjoy the ride and I'm not so concerned about the destination.

Girl yes! Someone also called me a hypocrite because I am a PJ and they said people use pjism to mask their unhappiness with their hair. I was like...um bye?
    YouTube

Girl yes! Someone also called me a hypocrite because I am a PJ and they said people use pjism to mask their unhappiness with their hair. I was like...um bye?

Right. Folks need to quit. I can't even work that reasoning out in my mind, right now. I'm going downstairs to get my pajamas out of the dryer, and I'm going to bed. :thumright:
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Right. Folks need to quit. I can't even work that reasoning out in my mind, right now. I'm going downstairs to get my pajamas out of the dryer, and I'm going to bed. :thumright:

SMH @ bolded. Umm.. I luuuuuurveeeeeee my hurr and lurrrrrrrrrrrrve to put stuff in it and watch it react. It's all fun to me. My hair and I are happiest when we have product freedom. I dont call folks with a monotonous routine oppressed do I? LOL!! Just lemme be FREE!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

I think the funniest thing is that I don't really have an actual "destination" other than trying to not be so frustrated with finding what works with my hair (thus I totally gotta document and I HATE documenting stuff but it's necessary now). I think that even once I get a regimen down, it's going to change depending on the weather, length of my hair and all that other stuff. And I do totally welcome the idea of being able to try new stuff...I just gotta get over the frustration of being in a place of not knowing what the heck is working right now, haha. I blame this horrible NJ winter, actually. My hair loves summer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file