Interesting Quote -- Black girls and Relaxers

BoyheadBoyhead Posts: 51Registered Users
“People act like Black girls are born with a little tube of relaxer & a note that says, ‘My bad.’– God.”
I saw this on bhlhonline.com (don't know who originally penned it) -- very thought provoking.

And I must admit that while I've been natural twice before (after all the years of my mom doing my natural hair), I always thought my hair was 'tough' and couldn't find a curl if it was dropped right in front my face. And when I decided to get a relaxer at 18, I was enamored by the cute chicks with the straight hair. Plus, my mom and I got tired of the weekly wash, blow out, and sitting down between her legs to get my scalped greased (Blue Magic + Mineral oil + coconut oil all mixed up:disgust:) and hair plaited up till next week...or an occasional singe of getting my hair pressed.

So - this quote is indicative of how many of us grow to feel about our natural hair...whether it's through famililial, media, or social influences...whatever the influence, why do some of us and our parents equate the Black Girls Rite of Passage with getting their first relaxer? :sad3:

Last time I checked, God didn't make no junk...so why are we sometimes 'taught' to think our natural kinks/coils/curls are ugly!

I unno!
1st BC - rocked a TWA
2nd BC - rocked a Caesar
"I've made up my mind to remain steadfast in the realm of coils, curlicues, kinks, and waves...says this this WestIndianCoily

Oh, and I don't believe in Curl Cream anything... :protest:

Comments

• Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    yes - true this! i love this quote, it really spoke to me :)
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    Now that I like

" rightclickin and stealin"
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    yes, this has been going around twitter but I don't think anyone has found the source of who wrote it.

It's so true on so many levels...
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    The Bible states in Psalms 139:14 - For I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

That passage is my proof that God does not make mistakes which includes my hair. :love3: I did not have anyone saying that my hair was beautiful in it's natural state. It was more of unspoken rule that it should be pressed and curled so that it "looked nice". It's only been in the last 2 1/2 years that I came to realize that my hair is beautiful just the way that it grows out of my head. I'm enjoying my natural hair now more then ever. I love my PJism too! Although I have only had compliments about my hair, I could care less what people think or say about it. My hair, my clothes and my makeup are just extentions of who I am and not up for discussion with anyone. In that regard, my opinion is the only one that matters. JMT
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file