Weight rant....sorry x(

LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
In my early 20's I had my father's genes. I was a petite and print model, felt awesome about myself. 5'3", 110 lbs, 34, 24, 36.

By the time I was 25 my mother's genes started kicking in and slowly but surely I started gaining and gaining.

Now I'm almost mid-thirties and 174 lbs. I have tried EVERYTHING - I go to the gym regularly, eat healthy, control portions, have voiced concerns to my doctor - every single darn thing I can do. I'm trying to accept that I just may be a big girl and that's it. The end.

I guess my point is that it's so hard for me to maintain a positive self-esteem level. I'm not married & have no children. I'm dating a guy who is extremely handsome and athletic. He is very encouraging - but I just can't help feeling like a giant moo-cow.

The hell's my problem? Why can't I just get a grip?
Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981

Comments

• LightWavesLightWaves Posts: 114Registered Users
    Take it from someone who has had the same problems- "getting a grip" is way easier said than done! Don't be so hard on yourself. I know it's a struggle (and it's likely to be a long-term one), but don't get down on yourself - you are doing all the right things to try to help yourself!

At 5'5, I used to weigh 190 - I felt like a giant moo-cow every day, haha... and I have lost a significant amount of weight, mostly by starting to eat a more "natural" diet with a lot less sugar/processed foods. Most of my sugar intake comes from natural sources like fruits. I do eat things high in fat such as nuts, meat, etc, but it's mostly natural stuff. My carbs are mostly whole grains - I occassionally eat refined flour, but not a ton.

I have a few suggestions - first, have you ever tried Weight Watchers? I haven't myself, but I literally know 4 very close friends who have done it within the last 2 years and saw the results they wanted. It's just an easier way to watch what you're eating.

Also, I would recommend checking out a diet like South Beach, just to kick any sugar/carb cravings your body has. The first 2 weeks SUCK, but after that you get to reintroduce certain carbs, and suddenly you realize you aren't craving the bad stuff anymore. It's really quite incredible if you can stick with it!

And finally I'll say this - exercise did nothing for me until I started eating less processed food. I was always very active and "in shape", but my weight certainly never reflected it. When I started to change my eating habits (not even necessarily how many calories I ate, but what the calories were coming from), I really noticed a difference.

Anyway, just keep remembering that you are beautiful, you have a boyfriend who is very loving and supportive, and you can change what you want to change! (Believe me, I also know that hearing that stuff doesn't always help if you are not feeling well about yourself - but try to keep repeating it to yourself, like a mantra... the more you tell it to yourself, the more you'll believe it!) And it might not happen quickly, but you can definitely do it - just don't beat yourself up over it :) Good luck!!
    2a/2b/2c - I've experienced them all :iconbiggrin:

Still not sure about porosity/protein... my hair takes forever to dry & products often weigh it down, but I like protein. Thus I'm confused.

LowPoo: Mastey Traite
    Cowash: Burt's Bees Super Shiny, Trader Joe's TTT
    DT: Sevi Pumpkin Conditioner
    Styling: FSG, Pantene Curls Mousse, SS FHG, AO B5 Design Gel, Giovanni Mousse
    PT: Nexus Emergencee, AO GBP
    Styling Methods: Plopping, diffusing
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LightWaves gave awesome advice!!

I second the recommendation to eat more whole foods - fruits, veggies, lean protein, and whole grains. Avoid, as much as possible, processed foods (things with ingredients that sound more like chemicals than real food) and refined grains (white breads, white rice, white flour and pasta, etc.) And skip completely anything with high fructose corn syrup and trans fats. If you MUST have a sweet and/or rich dessert and a piece of fruit won't cut it, then limit yourself to 3 (normal size) bites and enjoy the H**L out of them! Treats like that should be a once-in-a-while treat - not a daily thing.

Journaling, yoga and meditation can all be helpful as well - especially if you're wondering why you're having so much difficulty. They can help increase your awareness and allow you to pay attention to your emotions - really feel them rather than drown them in food. Awareness of a problem is the first step towards solving the problem.

Best of luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There is some evidence that calcium plays a part in weight control. You might try eating low-fat yogurt or milk, even some cheese and see if that helps. It could just be a fad, I don't know. I eat a lot of dairy and I have less trouble maintaining my weight than a lot of friends, but there might be other reasons for that (rapid heart beat for one).

Genetics play a part for sure. Good luck! Please update and don't feel badly about ranting. This is the place for it.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    Thanks everybody for the encouragement. I guess this is always going to be a struggle for me. I could be alot worse off I guess.

I have cut my portion sizes way down in the last few weeks and am noticing some good stuff happening. Just gotta keep on keepin' on.

But I gotta say....the hair is FABULOUS! *scrunch scrunch*
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file