Newbie with Questions

melissadee45melissadee45 Registered Users Posts: 3
I am so glad I found this site. Until I was about 11 years old, I had straight, thin hair. Puberty hit and my hair got thick and curly. I resented my hair and didn't know how to manage it. It looked like a mess a lot. On a class trip in High School, a friend of mine asked why I never wore my hair curly and why it was always in a ponytail. I told her I had no clue how to "wear it curly". She then showed me how to scrunch it. I liked it, but still wasn't sure about it. So, "scrunching" was a method I used sometimes....probably once every three to four months. In college I was introduced to the flat iron and fell in love! However, I also found that if I wasn't straightening my hair, I was wearing it in a ponytail. My mom used to ask me to curl it because she loves it curly and I've only ever gotten compliments. Seems as if the only person who disagreed with my curls was me...lol. Then I started to cut it short so I would be forced to style it instead of ponytail it. Recently I've decided to grow it out and embrace my curls, but was still hesitant. Then someone found the Curly Girl book (mine's being shipped as I type this!) and I found this site and I've decided to embrace my natural curls in all of their glory!

My curls are 2c/3a - but more 3a. I'm working on restoring moisture and getting rid of the damage I caused with the flat iron. I have a few questions as I start this journey. I've read the forums and most of the site.

Has anyone used the Redken line of curl products? Any suggestions there?

Is it possible that once I get my hair back in healthy order, it will become even more curly?

What is your favorite leave-in conditioner and curl refresher?

I'm trying a 2nd day method for the first time EVER tomorrow morning. Normally I would just brush out the curls and ponytail it the 2nd day or wash it out, but now I know better and I want good 2nd day curls. I have a leave in conditioner (Aussie) I'm going to use tomorrow, so wish me luck ;)

Sorry if I asked too many questions or if they are kind of obvious (or answered somewhere I didn't look).

Comments

• jenniferfelicejenniferfelice Registered Users Posts: 18
    I haven't used any Redken products, from what I've heard most of them have -cones in them (I'm CG so I don't use any products with silicones in them)

There is a pretty high chance that you're hair will get curlier as it gets healthier (I straightened my hair a lot a couple years ago and since I have stopped and started taking care of it it has gotten curlier, or at least to the point it was before)

I don't really have a favourite leave in (i use biolage conditioning balm, various suave conditioners and giovanni direct leave in)...it all depends...i'm still in the experimental stage (trying to find that perfect combo)

I also don't have a curl refresher...I tend to do my hair everyday..until i find a way to get 2nd day hair lol
    3b curly, medium texture and porosity?

CO wash: Suave Ocean Breeze, Strawberry or Treseme Naturals

Rinse Out: Giovanni 50:50 or Biolage Conditioning Balm

Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, DLI, Suave conditioners, KCKT

Stylers: KCCC, Aussie Volume Gel, HE SMU, Biotera Curl Creme and Styling Gel (HGs), FSG!!

DT: JWCT

Experimenting with: Boots

Lots of experimenting but finally got a routine down :)

CG since Jan. 10/11
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Your hair will most likely get curlier as you get farther along into CG, like Jenniferfelice said. All the damage from the flat-iron causes it to be straighter than it is naturally. Once you start reversing all that damage, it should regain all of its natural curl.

My favorite leave in conditioner is the one I use as my rinse out conditioner for the length of my hair -- Tresemme Naturals Moisture. I just don't rinse it out all the way, and I use that as my leave in. This way, I don't have to buy another product, and I am conserving and almost "re-using" my conditioner!

My favorite refresher is either plain old tap water with a few drops of Lavender essential oil in it, or a mixture of water and a few squirts of conditioner. I use the latter when my hair is very dry and thirsty. I like pineappling my hair at night, taking it down in the morning, spraying with a refresher, scrunching a little dab of gel in, and diffusing. I get nice second day hair this way -- way better than first day hair! Most curlies like their freshly washed hair best, but my hair curls up nicely when my thick hair isn't soaked, because the extra water weight and gravity aids it in dragging my curls out. :)

HTH! And good luck on your curly girl journey.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file