Foundation or no foundation

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I need some advice. I am currently 30 years old, super pale with red hair and blue eyes, very sensitive skin. I have been wearing foundation for many years but over the last year or so I am getting alot of acne. I have not changed any products or anything so I don't think that is causing it, but I am sure it isn't helping either. It just seems the acne is getting worse to deal with as I get older. I am thinking that I would like to quit wearing foundation and spend a little more time on skin care but not sure how to go about it. Right now I only use moisturizer and spot treatment on some of the acne if it gets too bad. Alot of acne treatments dry me out so I try not to use it alot. Is there something else I should be doing? My problem with not wearing foundation is that my cheeks can get a little blotchy looking so the foundation evens me out but I like the way my skin feels without wearing anything. Is there something I could do to help even out without the foundation? It would be quite a change for me because I have not gone natural in many years. Suggestions, advice? I don't mind investing in some products as long as they are in the reasonable range.
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    could you tell me a bit about your routine and which products you are using at present.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sure. At night I wash my face with just soap and water (Ivory soap). Too many of the cleansers aggravate me. Almay Oil Free Eye Makeup remover for the eyes. Then Loreal Revitalift moisturizer.

In the morning, wash with soap and water in the shower, then moisturizer (same one). For foundation Maybelline Pure Makeup with some Cover girl concealer for the bad spots and Loreal True Match Powder to set. A little eyeliner, mascara , some gloss for the lips and Neutrogena Fresh Blend blush (I think that's what it's called. It's a multi color blush you swirl to get a nice color). That's it.

I have some Neutrogena Spot Treatment for the acne but I only use it when the bumps are really bad because I can dry out pretty quick. Most of the acne I have is across my chin and on my nose. They are mostly just little whiteheads but sometimes bigger, deeper ones. I get some across my forehead and occasionally on the temples but I am pretty sure that's coming from my hair products and my hair laying right there (mainly hairspray). I try to clean it off once I am finished with my hair but now and then the bumps get really big.

That's about it.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Are tinted moisturizers any good or better than wearing foundation? Do they really provide any kind of coverage?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Alot of acne treatments dry me out so I try not to use it alot. Is there something else I should be doing? My problem with not wearing foundation is that my cheeks can get a little blotchy looking so the foundation evens me out but I like the way my skin feels without wearing anything. Is there something I could do to help even out without the foundation? It would be quite a change for me because I have not gone natural in many years. Suggestions, advice? I don't mind investing in some products as long as they are in the reasonable range.

If you want a very light foundation that won't break out your skin and feels like you're wearing nothing, try mineral makeup. Don't just pick one up in the grocery or department store though, because they are pseudo mineral makeups and no better the liquid gunk that is breaking you out. This is one of the best mineral makeups currently made:

http://meowcosmetics.com/index.htm

They have 3 foundation formulas for various skin types, all of them all-natural and preservative-free, in 49 colors, so there will be one to match you, and the coverage is buildable...cover as much or as little as you want. Samples are $1 each and if you email the owner and send her a picture of yourself taken in daylight, she will use a computer program to analyze your coloring get you a good foundation color match.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I never wore foundation until my late 50's, until I had sunspots. Since I have pretty sensitive skin, I am not a candidate for sun-spot eliminating treatments, hence the foundation. But if a treatment was available that didn't cost an arm and a leg, and was tolerable by sensitive skin, I'd be all over it and ditch the foundation, as I really don't like wearing it very much, even with the right color(MAC Hyperreal NC 300). But it really does help even out my skintone, and I do look better with it.
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    If you're not already wearing sunscreen, you need it. You might try an all-in-one: tinted moisturizer w/ sunscreen. Fewer layers of products, less things to irritate your skin. Zinc or titanium oxide is the least irritating sunscreen ingreds, and the zinc has a gentle 'disinfecting' effect on acne. Juice Beauty makes a nice all-in-one, as does Kiss My Face. Both have a fair amount of coverage. Mineral make-up is also a good option & will not cause breakouts, plus will give you some sun protection. Re: acne products, I've had the best results with the gentle ones: Proactiv if it's really bad, and Philosphy's On a Clear Day (uses hydrogen peroxide) for one of 2 PMS type zits. Neither dry my already dry skin. You can also mix a tiny dab of moisturizer with your Neutrogena acne product and apply, or let dry & put a thin layer of moisture over the top. Acne products seem to work best if you apply a gentle product, and all over; they're better at reducing bacteria on the skin to prevent breakouts, then to heal them once they're already there.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
    "If you're not already wearing sunscreen, you need it. You might try an all-in-one: tinted moisturizer w/ sunscreen." - CelticCurls

Yes, I wear sunblock, SPF 45 for the last few years, and a 30 for a few years before that. But when I was young(I'm 59 now)there weren't any sunblocks around. There alot of us mature ladies who didn't have the benefit of either sunblocks or even halfway decent skincare products when young, hence the damage. Even with my damage, I've seen way worse on women my age, esp. in the Southwest where I lived for 12 years up until 9 months ago.
    I looked at some tinted moisturizers - some were too pink(I have skin with yellow-olive undertones)or too dark-orangey, which makes me look dirty, and emphasizes sun spots even more. That's why I ended up with the MAC Hyperreal, as it isn't a heavy foundation, and has luminescence to it to camouflage imperfections, as well as a nice semi-dewy finish.
    Are there any tinted moisturizers that are made for people with light-medium yellow-toned skin that look good, and offer a little bit of coverage? I'd love to know! Also, I don't want to have to spend $50 on a little tube of something either.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm surprised that you could use Ivory soap with sensitive skin. For all of those cliams about it being so pure that it floats, Ivory can be harsh on the skin barrier and very irritating. I have gotten acne from allergic reactions and sensitivity aside from hormonal acne.

I'm of similar coloring and have sensitive skin. I've been using a simple routin since reading "The Skin Type Solution."

AM
    Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser
    Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid for blackheads and redness blotchiness
    EA ceramide time capsules for antioxidants
    Bioderma Photoderm Max Fuide SPF 50+ sunscreen

PM
    Cleanser as above
    retinol
    Aveeno moisturizer in cooler weather if I need it

A sulfur mask once or twice a week for redness and oil control and spot treatment on zits. I allergic to BP, so this works well for me.

I have Aromaleigh mineral foundation, but I'm so lazy that I only wear it a couple of times a week. I usually go natural or just use mascara, because that is the one thing I do need - my lashes are blonde and look weird and non-existant.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    "'m surprised that you could use Ivory soap with sensitive skin. For all of those cliams about it being so pure that it floats, Ivory can be harsh on the skin barrier and very irritating." - RedCelticCurls

Ivory soap is the WORST! I can't even use that stuff on my HANDS without it drying them out, let alone that nasty commerical-soapy-film that it makes, let alone on my face!
    I've read the Dr. Baumann's book, and thought I was a DSPT. However I went and had my skin analyzed here and it turns out that I actually have oily skin with a dehydrated surface due to lack of exfoliation. It is also thin and sensitive, so I have to be so careful with what I use in general(hence my previous posts elsewhere about going with simple natural products). I have however recently had pretty good luck with a creamy salicylic acid-type of cleanser(Olay Regenerist Regenerating Cleanser). I'm not one who can skip the exfoliation, because if I don't do anything at all in that department, my skin is bumpy and somewhat rough. The trick is to find the right type that doesn't irritate my skin. I've had numerous experiences where just at the point my skin was looking brighter and getting nice and smooth, boom-irritation, which then takes a long time to really recover from.
    But about the foundation issue, if I had even-toned skin again, I ditch the foundation in a second, as I know that foundations aren't particularly great for the skin, no matter what the ad says!
    What would you recommend besides Ivory soap? I was mainly staying with Ivory because it's not just my face that is sensitive, the rest of my skin is too and too many soaps have perfume or whatever else in them and aggravate me worse.

Redcelticcurls - your avatar looks very similar to my coloring. Is your redness in the cheeks? I get blotchy looking in the cheeks and then eventually my nose can look pinkish too. What is Paula's Choice? Is it expensive? I guess the Aveeno does not aggravate you? I have not tried the cleanser but I did not care much for the moisturizer although I think I had the Positively Radiant rather than Ultra Calming moisturizer. I will have to look at that again. How do you do a sulfur mask? I am starting to break out more and more because it is getting warmer out so if I could find a way to better treat that, that would be awesome. I swear sometimes I feel I have worse acne than a teenager.
    Hi there rednatural!

Ivory gets my body skin itchy too. I think the pH is just off for me with it. I mostly use bath gels on my body as they are less irritating. I like the ones from Dove for sensitive skin.

My pinkness concentrates in my cheeks, and can get into the nasal-labial folds - or whatever you call that area that runs from the nose to the corners of the mouth.

I like the Aveeno, but some sensitives have had reactions to the feverfew so it's trial and error just like with hair stuff. It's a bit pricey for a drugstore product, but way cheaper that using a high end product. I use the lotion instead of the cream. It is still hit and miss with some of the sensitives. Some of thos who dislike Aveeno like the Eucerin Redness Relief line.

Paula's Choice is a line made by Paula Begoun.
    http://www.cosmeticscop.com/

I think her hair advice often sucks, but I like much of her skin advice. I get blackheads on my T-zone and cheeks. BHA helps me with this and it is also supposed to help with inflammation and some exfoliation for those who can't handle AHA's or scrubs (like me). I went with the 2% liquid because my skin is quite oily and very blackhead prone. There are weaker versions out there for those who don't have as many issues with oiliness and blackheads. I can't tell you how well they work for whiteheads. I sometimes get one cystic pimple when I PMS, and the BHA does nothing for that, but the sulfur helps.

I think I paid around $20 for the BHA liquid, but I have had it for about 8 months. A little goes a long way.

A sulfur masque is a thick clay-like mask. I put it on my face, let it dry for 10 or so minutes and then rinse off. For me, the most dramatic improvemement in my redness was from sulfur.

Here's a face shot of me before I started using sulfur.

62dho3b.jpg

Here is about 2 months after adding sulfur. No makeup except for smudged mascara.

6f9awjn.jpg

Sulfur might not work for everyone, but it has done wonders for my redness. The only downside is finding a mask without menthol or eucalyptus as they both burn on me. The one I normally use has been discontinued so I'm hunting down online places that still have it while I search for a replacement.

Since I am sensitive to scrubs, I use the sulfur as my exfoliant too. I really wish that I could use scrubs because I still have this mentality that I need a good scrubbing to even out the surface layers. I'm glad that scrubs work for many though.

As you know, sunscren is important too. I get red from heat, let alone heat and sun too, lol. :lol: I Thank all of the Skin Gods that I don't have issues with sunscreen ingredients. Plenty of folks seem to have sensitivity to some of the ingredients - avobenzone comes to mind with that.

Sorry that I can't be of more help with the acne in general as mine is more blackheads, but, I hope the redness part help.

• goldilocks777goldilocks777 Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    Stila's tinted moisturizer is really great for looking like you're wearing no makeup at all while still evening out skin tone and covering up imperfections. I HIGHLY recommend it.
    Your first picture is very similar to how I look now except I am a bit blotchier. My nose gets kind of pinkish and then I get little patches of redness on my cheeks. I would love to have the complexion you have in the second photo and with no makeup?! That's awesome. I can get that look now but only with foundation. I will look over the Paula website some more. After I thought about it more I knew who you were talking about and I agree with you, I don't care much for her hair advice. However I looked over her acne treatments and the one you use looks interesting. I may have to try that one. I did get the Aveeno cleanser today to see what that will do. Thankfully I also seem to do ok with sunscreen too but I know I would need to move to a bit stronger one if I stopped wearing foundation altogether. I have seen several people say the Neutrogena Dry Touch is a good one. Let me know what you find out about the sulfur mask. That looks like it could really be helpful.

On a side note, I am due for my dermatologist appointment soon (mole check) so if I can get up the nerve to not wear makeup into her office, I may see what she thinks of my redness. She always sees with makeup on.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    On a side note, I am due for my dermatologist appointment soon (mole check) so if I can get up the nerve to not wear makeup into her office, I may see what she thinks of my redness. She always sees with makeup on.

wow!

my dermatologists in Toronto and Ottawa would both tell me to take my makeup off if i was wearing any when i got there!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    That's interesting Rou...she has never asked me not to wear makeup. Even my previous ones have not asked that. She does look at my face with a magnifying glass. Not sure what that tells her. Mainly we are just watching the multiple moles I have over the rest of my body and the keratosis pilaris I have on my arms. Of course I have never mentioned to her that I have redness in my cheeks so maybe that is why she never asked?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sulfur might not work for everyone, but it has done wonders for my redness. The only downside is finding a mask without menthol or eucalyptus as they both burn on me. The one I normally use has been discontinued so I'm hunting down online places that still have it while I search for a replacement.

I've never tried them and I don't know the percentage of sulfur in their products, but Mario Badescu makes some sulfur products. I'm sure you could email them for details. Their prices seem reasonable. I just happened to get a 15% off coupon in my email today, promo code 325527 at checkout:

http://mariobadescu.com/productDetail.asp?ProductID=154&CatId=14

http://mariobadescu.com/productDetail.asp?ProductID=148&CatId=14
    I was thinking it over last night and I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but is sulfur the same thing as sulphur? I am allergic to sulphur (gives me hives), like how morphine has sulphur in it or sulphur creams.
    I was thinking it over last night and I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but is sulfur the same thing as sulphur? I am allergic to sulphur (gives me hives), like how morphine has sulphur in it or sulphur creams.

Yeah, the latter is the English spelling, and the first is the US spelling. Bummer about the allergy - unless you're mixing it up with sulfa like sulfa drugs...

Paula's Choice makes a carbon based mask if the sulfur causes a problem...

Hmmm...I do know I have a reaction to sulfa. I know morphine is morphine sulfate and after I had some surgery I woke up with hives. They told me I was allergic to morphine but then later I used a cream that was a sulfa cream or sulphur cream (can't recall now) and it gave me hives too so we just figured it was the sulphur. I didn't realize there was a difference. I will look into the carbon based mask just to be safe.

ETA...I also picked up the Aveeno ultra calming moisturizer to see if that will help too.
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What would you recommend besides Ivory soap?

For your face, just a warm (or in my case hot) washcloth with no soap. I've been doing it for 15+ years.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    You know, it sounds like you have the kind of rosacea with papules (that look exactly like acne). It makes sense, because you are getting older but still have acne, have redness, and the breakouts are more prevalent in the warmer weather. I have that myself. It has gotten worse, so I really have to decide what I'm going to do about it. Metrogel...or Differin. Or, one on one area, and the other on another area...

I wouldn't use hot water or anything harsh in the meantime.
    ;)
    My appointment with my dermatologist is June 7th. I will have her take a look at the redness and see what she thinks. I use Differin now for the KP on my arms. I don't know if the strength I use on my arms is too much for pimples on my face. I will have to ask her about that.
    For your face, just a warm (or in my case hot) washcloth with no soap. I've been doing it for 15+ years.

I can't use just a warm washcloth. It won't take the makeup off. Even without foundation, I still use mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner and usually some type of lipgloss. I have been using the Aveeno foaming cleanser the last couple days. That works pretty well for getting it all off. I can't say I see a big difference between that and the soap but I haven't used it long enough yet.
    My appointment with my dermatologist is June 7th. I will have her take a look at the redness and see what she thinks. I use Differin now for the KP on my arms. I don't know if the strength I use on my arms is too much for pimples on my face. I will have to ask her about that.

I can't use just a warm washcloth. It won't take the makeup off. Even without foundation, I still use mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner and usually some type of lipgloss. I have been using the Aveeno foaming cleanser the last couple days. That works pretty well for getting it all off. I can't say I see a big difference between that and the soap but I haven't used it long enough yet.

You should be able to get some great rosacea meds from a derm! :)

I think that some prescribe differen as the retinoid of choice for rosaceans for facial care, but I don't know what strength. I wouldn't mind getting some rosanil. I t has the sulfur that you have problems with, but it might make an interesting read

http://www.rosanil.com/

• RedheadedcurlsRedheadedcurls Posts: 210Registered Users
    Another natural redhead here with super sensitive skin, prone to breakouts. I have been using Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Face Wash at night as my cleanser- it removes ALL of my makeup (however I do take my eye makeup off first) and leaves my skin feeling soft. Does not sting or burn or tingle, etc. In the morning, I LOVE Cetaphil. It was recommended by my derm. Extrememly gentle, they also have a face lotion that was recommended by my derm. Super stuff, both can be found at any drugstore. To help with my breakouts, I use Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel, it's expensive but a little goes a long way. It's a serum. My face has never looked so clear and I am getting fewer breakouts. I got my bottle at Sephora, but Ulta also carries it. For my makeup, right now I am using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer- it has retinol and sunscreen and is lightweight for the summer, which I love.
    3a/3b~Currently: V05 Kiwi Lime/Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint for co wash, Suave Aloe or V05 Strawberries and Cream for co and leave-in, Burts Bees Super Shiny poo, EMBS, CK, re:coil, B&A/LA Looks Sport

PW: curls
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi all,
    I'm new here, but had to jump on this bandwagon. Interestingly enough, I quit wearing foundation a few weeks ago. I'm 49 and have been very unhappy with my skin - adult acne, almost exclusively on chin and lower face. I've been using retin-a for a couple of months and am showing some improvement - I'm getting pretty excited about that! :P I started thinking about what I'm doing differently now than when I was a bit younger with fewer breakouts (although I've ALWAYS had acne to one degree or another). I decided that back then, I NEVER wore makeup on my face, save for a little blush once in a great while. I must admit, I LOVE not wearing it - and I think I'm looking better for it. Either that, or I'm just getting used to looking at my ugly mug! :wink:

Also, Redheadedcurls, I noticed you're from Richmond - I grew up in Ashland!! What a small world!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    Alot of acne treatments dry me out so I try not to use it alot. Is there something else I should be doing? My problem with not wearing foundation is that my cheeks can get a little blotchy looking so the foundation evens me out but I like the way my skin feels without wearing anything. Is there something I could do to help even out without the foundation? It would be quite a change for me because I have not gone natural in many years. Suggestions, advice? I don't mind investing in some products as long as they are in the reasonable range.

If you want a very light foundation that won't break out your skin and feels like you're wearing nothing, try mineral makeup. Don't just pick one up in the grocery or department store though, because they are pseudo mineral makeups and no better the liquid gunk that is breaking you out. This is one of the best mineral makeups currently made:

http://meowcosmetics.com/index.htm

They have 3 foundation formulas for various skin types, all of them all-natural and preservative-free, in 49 colors, so there will be one to match you, and the coverage is buildable...cover as much or as little as you want. Samples are $1 each and if you email the owner and send her a picture of yourself taken in daylight, she will use a computer program to analyze your coloring get you a good foundation color match.

I second the recc. for Meowcosmetics. I sent in a few pictures and the matches she came up for me were dead on. The very first one she suggested matched perfectly. I plan to order full sizes later this week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file