Um, okay... is the jherri curl back? (mini-rant)

TiggileneTiggilene Posts: 232Registered Users
Ladies.

Had the rare audition yesterday (Sat.) to play a mother in a commercial. Now, I'm standing there with my actor husband and two actor kids... one of whom was sporting a JHERRI CURL AT AGE SIX!!!

The adult male actor asked the kid if it was a jherri curl and he nodded. Even the older white cameraman was so shocked that he came over for a better look.

This poor kid's head was greased up like the '80s. There's no way he didn't ruin his mama's car seat on the way to the audition because his hair was practically dripping. I was so angry for him that I couldn't look at the mother who would do this to her child.

I thought jherri and his friends (wave nouveau, etc.) were occupying a landfill somewhere. Please tell me this isn't a trend. Please.

Comments

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    WOW! Its funny and horribly sad at the same time. Wow. I cant imagine getting an acting position with that type of gunk in your hair (speaking from experience), especially a child.

Dear God, I hope its not a new trend too. :angry8:
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Was the smell as bad as it was during the 80s and early 90s? That smell turned my stomach. I had a classmate that had one in the third grade. Every time I sat by her, I couldn't eat because the smell made me nauseous. Man, there are better things than jerri curls. That poor child.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    I had one of these five years ago in high school, except it was called "wave nouveau" (why??? to make me feel better? lol)

I'm so glad I came to my senses. :walk:
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    My sister had one in the 80's, when we were in high school. The smell and all that dripping juice brought back bad memories.

My mother STILL has a jheri curl after nearly 30 years. She has bald spots in her hair now. When we were still on speaking terms, I'd tell her that that style went out with Ronald Reagan and she needed to change it up, but she'd just roll her eyes and act like I didn't know what I was talking about.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • Lotsa_TanglesLotsa_Tangles Posts: 128Registered Users
    I still see a JC every now in then in my neck of the woods, but not on children...
    The blog of a non-blogger: www.naturallytia.com
  • knt1229knt1229 Posts: 93Registered Users
    Nope it's not making a comeback. That poor kid just has a behind the times mama. But I think it was pretty insensitive of the male actor to ask the kid and then have the cameraman come over and take a look. That poor child probably wanted to fall thru the floor considering all the adults were standing around passing judgement on him and his mama.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Tiggilene wrote: »
    Ladies.

Had the rare audition yesterday (Sat.) to play a mother in a commercial. Now, I'm standing there with my actor husband and two actor kids... one of whom was sporting a JHERRI CURL AT AGE SIX!!!

The adult male actor asked the kid if it was a jherri curl and he nodded. Even the older white cameraman was so shocked that he came over for a better look.

This poor kid's head was greased up like the '80s. There's no way he didn't ruin his mama's car seat on the way to the audition because his hair was practically dripping. I was so angry for him that I couldn't look at the mother who would do this to her child.

I thought jherri and his friends (wave nouveau, etc.) were occupying a landfill somewhere. Please tell me this isn't a trend. Please.

stop! LOL
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Naw...it's not coming back, at least I hope not. By the grace of almighty God, I "missed" the Jheri Curl. My mind couldn't wrap itself around all that greasy, drippy juice, so I passed. God is good...yes.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom put a curl in my hair when I was six and continued for years. When she would do retouches, I would get so sick from the chemical smells I would throw up. Didn't matter. She kept right on because she didn't want to deal with my hair. My dad's sister had been doing my hair before my parents divorced.
    Anyway, my mom went wave nouveau then relaxers. At least the curls didn't fry my scalp
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • lsubabiedeelsubabiedee Posts: 53Registered Users
    a jheri curl? i rarely see those. but according to a few other hair boards, drier curl processes never went anywhere.
  • Eighty7Eighty7 Posts: 109Registered Users
    some naturals look like they sport a jheri curls w/ all the gel they put in their hair.
    Last Relaxer : March 2, 2010.
    Big Chop : June 8, 2011
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Eighty7 wrote: »
    some naturals look like they sport a jheri curls w/ all the gel they put in their hair.
    i was thinking the same thing.

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    subbrock wrote: »
    i was thinking the same thing.

I about spit my coffee out reading this. LMAO!
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    BRUTAL.

My best friend got one in the eighth grade. She's Jamaican and her mom went and chopped it all off and gave her the JC. The entire school wanted to touch her hair because it was "mushy". All white Cubans. It was mortifying for her....

Not cool..
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Tiggilene wrote: »
    Ladies.

hee.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've seen a few JC's 'round here in ATL. They just won't die!

I can't even laugh at the poor child, though....I had a curl myself from 7-9th grades (1988-1990). Reason: my mom got tired of doing my hair! I had the Leisure Curl. The activator I used was a gel, not the stanky spray stuff. Not saying that it was much better, but at least I didn't have to wear a plastic cap or worry about a drippy head.

God, how I wish I could have those years back. Ugh.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Poor little guy. Probably has to carry around some activator in his back pack.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • TechKnockoutTechKnockout Posts: 415Registered Users
    I hope the jherri curl isn't coming back! Yuck!
    Horror. Erotica. Cannibalism. And everything else in between.

http://thevegetariancannibal.blogspot.com/
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kitathena wrote: »
    Poor little guy. Probably has to carry around some activator in his back pack.

You are SOOO wrong for this.....
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SmartkittySmartkitty Posts: 217Registered Users
    Aww I feel sorry for him. However these days I am seeing younger kids with processed hair and young teens with weaves. When I was younger, people were about 13 getting their first relaxer/perm and weaves were barely in existence, worn exclusively by adult women. I'm kind of not really surprised that these processes are still going considering that texlaxing is almost the same thing as a jherri curl (I was texlaxed before I went natural).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte

That's why I cant use KCCC as written (only on dry hair). I end up looking straight up Soul Glo otherwise.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Actually, there is a quiet jheri curl movement on YT. I accidentally ran into one of the videos while looking @ vids of ppl reviewing Carefree Curl moisturizer. This guy has a full on, Michael Jackson in his glory days, jheri curl. I had to dig deeper because I couldn't believe it myself. There are people still running around with jheri curls!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file