Hibiscus powder solely for Conditioning?

kindredsoulkindredsoul Posts: 67Registered Users
Does anyone use hibiscus powder mixed with water alone for its benefits rather than adding it to henna for the coloring effect. I mean use it alone like you might do an amla/brahmi treatment. Is it as effective alone or better used combined with other things?

Comments

  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use it with other herbs besides henna, but I do not use it alone b/c it's watery, so when you add other herbs it helps thicken your mixture.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I've liked my results when I used it with other things. I may try it just alone with coconut milk as my liquid of choice. I'm thinking of more Ayurvedic concoctions to make. They're fun
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    Last year I was having some issues with dry itchy scalp and I infused the flowers with joboba and olive oil which worked out great.

    I have also added the powder to my conditioners and that was just ok; it was about to expire and I wanted to get rid of it.

    Anyway now I mostly make a tea with it, using green tea, burdock root and hibiscus.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

    http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • BowieFanBowieFan Posts: 13Registered Users
    Also, has anyone tried brewing hibiscus powder/flowers with chamomile tea?
  • chebabychebaby Posts: 143Registered Users
    ive used it mixed with other herbs and henna but the best treatment my hair has ever had was hibiscus powder mixed with kbb hair mask. now i love the hair mask alone or with oils. its my fave deep conditioner. but with hibiscus my hair was sooooo silky and soft.
  • BowieFanBowieFan Posts: 13Registered Users
    chebaby wrote: »
    ive used it mixed with other herbs and henna but the best treatment my hair has ever had was hibiscus powder mixed with kbb hair mask. now i love the hair mask alone or with oils. its my fave deep conditioner. but with hibiscus my hair was sooooo silky and soft.

    I was thinking of using hibiscus powder this way too, so this is encouraging to hear. What was your ratio of powder to conditioner? I was thinking of mixing 1 tsp of powder with a tablespoon of conditioner or something like that (I'm in the TWA stage, so I don't need to use a ton of condish).
  • chebabychebaby Posts: 143Registered Users
    BowieFan wrote: »
    chebaby wrote: »
    ive used it mixed with other herbs and henna but the best treatment my hair has ever had was hibiscus powder mixed with kbb hair mask. now i love the hair mask alone or with oils. its my fave deep conditioner. but with hibiscus my hair was sooooo silky and soft.

    I was thinking of using hibiscus powder this way too, so this is encouraging to hear. What was your ratio of powder to conditioner? I was thinking of mixing 1 tsp of powder with a tablespoon of conditioner or something like that (I'm in the TWA stage, so I don't need to use a ton of condish).
    i used one spoon full because i didnt know if it would be grainy like when i added amla powder. it rinsed out easily.
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    I used it in an an herbal tea spritz. Might go back to using it the summer...

    Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

    At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

    imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Posts: 870Registered Users
    I've never used it alone because its one of those powders that mix really watery, so its better to mix it with other herbs, clay, or make a tea rinse or spritz with it. Hibiscus doesn't color hair on its own, so its cool to use in any of those ways.

    Hibiscus is acidic enough for me on its own so I've never used other teas with it. But it never hurts to test. I've used hibiscus and amla (also acidic) together with no worries. Hibiscus with chamomile sounds interesting. Let us know your results if you try it.

    ~ Via my MyTouch 4g ~
    EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair



  • BowieFanBowieFan Posts: 13Registered Users
    EkuaSoul wrote: »
    I've never used it alone because its one of those powders that mix really watery, so its better to mix it with other herbs, clay, or make a tea rinse or spritz with it. Hibiscus doesn't color hair on its own, so its cool to use in any of those ways.

    Hibiscus is acidic enough for me on its own so I've never used other teas with it. But it never hurts to test. I've used hibiscus and amla (also acidic) together with no worries. Hibiscus with chamomile sounds interesting. Let us know your results if you try it.

    ~ Via my MyTouch 4g ~

    Will do. And thanks for the info chebaby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file