Do you feel that certain company Hi-Jack their prices for products on purpose?

blueberry2118blueberry2118 Posts: 145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just notice something when I was looking for some natural hair products. Some of the newer stuff that came out for our hair , in local stores, is same price or higher then regular stuff you buy off line. (For example: Design Essentails Naturals)Why is this? Meaning moisturizers, conditioners and shampoo. Plus, the ingredients are not the best, but some products ingredients are worth it though like Keracare True Texture. Regular store brought stuff and relax hair care stuff are much more cheaper then "some" natural products. Yes, some of the ingredients may not be good for you, but like I said some of the natural hair products have crappy ingredients in them and the prices are $$. Also, I notice some natural hair care companies use only a little amount of ingredients and their prices are $$.

Do you think companies trying to make a profit off on natural heads on purpose?

Why are they so pricey?

They say when you stop getting a relaxer you save more money. I haven't save much since I went natural. lol I actually spend more then I save, but I don't mind unless the ingredients are great and natural.

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    this is no major epiphany. truth be told there are a LOT of things that have jacked up prices, not only hair stuff.

that's why you need to be a savvy consumer.

but you also have you remember, you get what you pay for. well most of the time anyway.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you think companies trying to make a profit off on natural heads on purpose?

Of course! They don't want to make money by accident. :lol: They're in business to make money. Let's not fool ourselves that they have some kind of ultra-altruistic motive. They see a growing market and want to capitalize on it.

They're counting on people who don't know how to read ingredients lists or even care too. They use the catch words like "argan oil", "all natural", or whatever the current trend is to hook you in and pay those prices. Like Empressi siad, you have to be a savvy consumer to find out what is real or what is hype and pretty packaging.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I agree with empress and afrosheenqueen. At the end of the day you have to be conscious of what you're purchasing. I'm not gonna pay for something I know isn't worth it and that includes things that are filled with cheap a$$ *****. I like natural products and what they do for my hair and skin and I like natural ingredients. I know that the products that I buy are good quality and work wonderfully for me and my situation.

As far as making money, what company isn't in it for the money at the end of the day? What's the point of being in business if you're not making profit? That's a waste. It's up to us as consumers to support companies that meet our standards. You don't have to purchase products that you think are expensive. If you do though and they are worth it to you then that's ok as well.

If there's some hair products that I don't feel are worth it or the company has bad business practices or I've had a negative experience from them and they didn't help me out, I won't buy from them. Simple as that. Same thing with anything else.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    My co-worker and I were just having this conversation today.
    Like the others who responded before me I do agree that a lot of retailers are riding the "natural" train and using high prices to justify a product that is not necessarily high quality.

Personally I do not mind paying a higher price if something is certified organic or is a fair trade product but just adding olive oil to a product and calling it natural. I will typically pass.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ajna wrote: »
    My co-worker and I were just having this conversation today.
    Like the others who responded before me I do agree that a lot of retailers are riding the "natural" train and using high prices to justify a product that is not necessarily high quality.

Personally I do not mind paying a higher price if something is certified organic or is a fair trade product but just adding olive oil to a product and calling it natural. I will typically pass.

This!

Products marketed as "shea butter", but has only 5% shea butter in it as the 9th ingredient, and companies that are riding the argan oil train with 1% argan oil in what they're selling for $20/oz.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not to mention...most larger companies are buying natural ingredients that are processed using methods that all but removes any nutrients/mineral content that is benefical for the hair and skin. Just about every product on the shelf in the BSS now contains shea butter...but 90% of the time, that shea butter was extracted using hexane and is of such low quality that it really offer little benefits other than allowing the manufacture the ability to say it contains shea butter. And don't be fooled...it can say "organic" and STILL be processed using hexane...because "organic" refers to the growth process and the use of pesticides...nothing else.

Your best bet is to become an informed consumer. Research the products, ingredients, and selling terms and know what they mean. Now I will say this...to an extent you do get what you pay for. You can't honestly expect a $5 product to contain "organic" or "fair trade" nothing...that's just not possible.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    Well as with any product, many companies jack up the price because they know that most consumers are ignorant. Most people associate high price with high quality. That's not to say that some things that are of good quality aren't going to be a bit pricier, but you have to know that what you're paying for is worth the price they are charging.

For example, a hair oil mix that costs $20 and has a nice name on it will probably fly off the shelves. Especially if people feel that the product works well. Carol's Daughter sells hair oil that costs $8.50 for 2oz. The first ingredient is Corn oil. 48oz of Corn oil costs less than $5. 2oz of that Carol's Daughter oil is not worth no damn $8.50. But you're paying for the name and a marketing idea.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    Well as with any product, many companies jack up the price because they know that most consumers are ignorant. Most people associate high price with high quality. That's not to say that some things that are of good quality aren't going to be a bit pricier, but you have to know that what you're paying for is worth the price they are charging.

For example, a hair oil mix that costs $20 and has a nice name on it will probably fly off the shelves. Especially if people feel that the product works well. Carol's Daughter sells hair oil that costs $8.50 for 2oz. The first ingredient is Corn oil. 48oz of Corn oil costs less than $5. 2oz of that Carol's Daughter oil is not worth no damn $8.50. But you're paying for the name and a marketing idea.

^^^YES! Once I noticed the corn oil on her ingredients list, I giving CD products the side eye. She couldn't find something other than corn oil to use, really? And I could always smell the corn oil in the products....I'm not paying top dollar to smell like fancied-up Crisco, TYVM.

Another prime example: Miss Jessie's. The ingredients to their products aren't much better than what you find in Pink Oil & the like, but the MJ's prices are redonkulous. I overheard some ladies at Target once trying to decide whether to buy some MJ, and they basically reasoned that "if it costs that much it must be good". I wasn't sure if I should have chimed in at the time, but I wish I would have. Probably could've saved them some $$$.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    Not to mention...most larger companies are buying natural ingredients that are processed using methods that all but removes any nutrients/mineral content that is benefical for the hair and skin. Just about every product on the shelf in the BSS now contains shea butter...but 90% of the time, that shea butter was extracted using hexane and is of such low quality that it really offer little benefits other than allowing the manufacture the ability to say it contains shea butter. And don't be fooled...it can say "organic" and STILL be processed using hexane...because "organic" refers to the growth process and the use of pesticides...nothing else.

Your best bet is to become an informed consumer. Research the products, ingredients, and selling terms and know what they mean. Now I will say this...to an extent you do get what you pay for. You can't honestly expect a $5 product to contain "organic" or "fair trade" nothing...that's just not possible.

RIGHT!!!
    When it comes to organic body/hair care products I am always a bit skeptical because they are not regulated well if at all. Not to mention I love when companies have an organic products listed next to parabens, I am like really?? One the $$ you are so right how can I pay $5 for argan oil and it is "Fair Trade" really come on that does not even make sense. I do realize that there are issues with the whole fair trade thing but as a consumer I do seek these items out in hopes that the farmer who grew it is getting their fair share.

But like we have all said you have to read and understand what you are buying.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    there is a lot of money that goes into making a product. It's just that simple. As consumers, you just think of the ingredients that are used. But there is labor, packaging, and profit one wants to make. Frankly, companies can charge whatever the hell they want as long as they know someone will buy it. There are LOTS of companies (not just hair) that do this. If there is a market for expensive beauty products (and there is), there will be companies that work hard to fit into that niche. It doesn't matter whether their ingredients are all "natural", "naturally" derived, sustainable, synthetic, fair trade, whatever.

I like fairly priced items, and I also like as earth friendly ingredients as possible (the term "natural" is very subjective). If it costs me more to buy a product that meets my standards I will buy it. I know though that I'm not buying a product with ingredients that I don't like to (or prefer not to) use, no matter how much it costs!
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file