Conditioner and Leave-in suggestions for Niece??

SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Need a conditioner and leave-in that has LOTS of slip. It does not have to be CG as it is for a niece who has straight hair that just tangles like there is no tomorrow and every day is a struggle for her and her mom. She also has major static issues with her hair. No matter what they do, her hair is always floating away from her head because of static.

All suggestions are open. Even *gasp* salon brands. They just need to be able to wash her hair, put the conditioner in, comb through her hair when wet and have the leave-in continue to keep her hair relatively static and tangle free until she washes again.

Any ideas? The mom doesn't mind spending a decent price if it does the trick and I would do the buying and send it up to them. It would be preferable if it did come in a big bottle because this girl has a LOT of hair and it's LONG!

TIA!

Comments

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    UGH. I can relate to the static situation. All my life, in the winter, I had to deal with massive static. That is, until THIS year. I started my CG routine in October and I haven't had static all winter long! Not even once!! (I'm very excited about this because living with it as long as I have - 45 years - I learned to really hate it immensely) ONLY going CG helped me. ...Maybe even though she's straight, she need to go sulfate and silicone free before she'll see any improvement in the static issue. See if she's tried the L'Oreal EverSleek line? That might help her with both her knotting issues and her static. ...Worth a try, anyway. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    RacerWife7 wrote: »
    UGH. I can relate to the static situation. All my life, in the winter, I had to deal with massive static. That is, until THIS year. I started my CG routine in October and I haven't had static all winter long! Not even once!! (I'm very excited about this because living with it as long as I have - 45 years - I learned to really hate it immensely) ONLY going CG helped me. ...Maybe even though she's straight, she need to go sulfate and silicone free before she'll see any improvement in the static issue. See if she's tried the L'Oreal EverSleek line? That might help her with both her knotting issues and her static. ...Worth a try, anyway. ;)

Alas, she is a part of my family and very stubborn. She will not give up her Suave kids shampoo. You know, the kinds that are in the shapes of animals or whatever. She even shapes her hair into funky shapes when it's got the shampoo foam in it, which I'm sure doesn't help with the tangles! And my sister-in-law definitely wouldn't go with no shampoo. And truthfully? The way my niece plays, she would really need shampoo to get all the stuff she gets in her hair out. They live in the country and play out in the fields with the sheep, horses, dirt, hay and who knows what else. When she takes a bath, she turns 2 shades lighter than she was before. I couldn't even begin to imagine what would be in her hair!

I was thinking Biolage Conditioning Balm as a conditioner because I can get it in a gallon size and it melts tangles pretty easily and seems to keep static away. But that is just from my limited experience. I know people on here have much more experience with conditioners that have good slip, which I think is much more important for her right now.

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    Okay, so they're drying the crap out of the poor child's hair by using the kid shampoo and then wondering why she has static? Hello!!! LOL! I think we need to sneak some Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo into those Suave bottles!! LOL! It would still bubble like normal shampoo, but it's sulfate-free. It really does a nice job of cleansing without stripping. ...that being said, I get what you're saying - you're just looking for a conditioner to ADD to what they're already doing. I'm not familiar with Biolage Conditioning Balm. So, I can't comment on that. But, at this point, it can't hurt! Probably ANY good conditioner would work! HAHA!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with RacerWife. Your niece needs to cut out sulfates. Even straight hair can benefit from CG. Just use a nonsulfate shampoo instead of co-washing. If you think she may still need a sulfate every once in a while, try the Suaves Naturals shampoo. Those work great for me. I have an oily scalp so sometimes I need something a little stronger than low poo. You should also see what the fine-hair curlies use. From what I know, fine hair tangles easily, even when it is straight. It breaks easily and can be quickly damaged from rough handling and not getting enough protein.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    If you're looking for a conditioner with GREAT slip and some moisture (and a really decent price), I would say Tresemme Naturals Moisture. Lots of people (not just me, I promise!) say that this condish has amazing slip and will help get her tangles out. And, if she does wind up going sulfate-free, it doesn't have any 'cones in it! I love that conditioner -- it's perfect. I have really thick hair that tangles like crazy, and this conditioner helps IMMENSELY with the tangles. I don't think I could live without it. :p

I HTH! And I hope you find something that works for your neice.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Thanks for the suggestions for the Tressemme condish. Sister-in-law will be happy about that one.

I have been trying to talk the sister-in-law around to low-poos or sulfate-free for years and it gets me nowhere. The niece and mother are exactly alike. The like what they like and nobody can tell them different. The sister-in-law also comes from a family who doesn't believe in taking pills unless it is nearly life threatening. She has hypothyroidism and won't take the pills, so her weight goes up and down all the time. All she would have to do is take one little pill, but no...you see where I'm coming from with this battle?

If anybody has any other suggestions for conditioners that will help with tangles, keep them coming, please!

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you're looking for a conditioner with GREAT slip and some moisture (and a really decent price), I would say Tresemme Naturals Moisture. Lots of people (not just me, I promise!) say that this condish has amazing slip and will help get her tangles out. And, if she does wind up going sulfate-free, it doesn't have any 'cones in it! I love that conditioner -- it's perfect. I have really thick hair that tangles like crazy, and this conditioner helps IMMENSELY with the tangles. I don't think I could live without it. :p

I HTH! And I hope you find something that works for your neice.
    I like the Tresemme naturals and salon style condish for my daughter's straight, tangle-prone hair. It's cheap and you can use a lot and it melts tangles.

I also have very tangle-prone hair but my hair hates the Tresemme and most other cheap condish (I think my hair is a snob). KCKT is the king of all detanglers IMHO and is a great LI. A little goes a looong way. I like to add it to my palmful of condish and put it all in together then I use it as a LI too.

The Sally's GVP CB also works well.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    This is what has been working for my 1c/2a, static, break, and tangle prone long, fairly dense, highly elastic, and fine-haired girl (we both enjoy the preening process now, used to be frustrating and painful):
    - shower water filter. goosneck shower head for filtered water bath.
    - shampoo scalp only
    - rinse shampoo really well
    - apply lots of conditioner. comb with good shower comb, starting at ends. finish combing while rinsing, using shower stream as smoother.
    - squeeze water out or wrap with towel, don't rub
    - leave alone while drying, or, brush with Denman and put in scrunchy pony or braid
    - protein in co, li, or dry smoother since hair is fine and elastic
    - smooth in something with slip (2 peas of co, li, glycerin, serum, smoothing styler..., also helps with static) before brushing dry hair. brush ends first. don't brush when just at home, only just before leaving house for school, etc. Denman D3 brush is holy grail, no balls on ends to catch snarls, static free.
    - no more rubberbands, except at end of braid (yes, could break there, but at least it is at the end). scrunchies for ponies. usually braid hair for rough play and overnight.

Good luck!
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey Sunshine good to see you :)

Can you suggest that they spritz her hair and add conditioner to her length before she showers? This will help ease the tangles and hopefully protect her length from that GAWD awful Suave shampoo. I've found that EO conditioners have good slip, Giov Smooth as Silk is decent and of course Curl Junkie's Rehab is top quality and a little goes a long way. I gave some to a straightie friend who's hair was in bad shape and it worked wonders for her. If you look for Behentrimonium Methosulfate in the ingredients it will tell you it's got good slip and also helps with static. You don't find this in drugstore brands too often but it's cousin Behentrimonium Chloride works similar. Some of the Garnier condish's have it.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Forgot to add that a good detangling comb can work wonders. I LOVE my Mebco detangling comb and you can find others like it.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• MaciMaci Posts: 180Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    Hey Sunshine good to see you :)

Can you suggest that they spritz her hair and add conditioner to her length before she showers? This will help ease the tangles and hopefully protect her length from that GAWD awful Suave shampoo. I've found that EO conditioners have good slip, Giov Smooth as Silk is decent and of course Curl Junkie's Rehab is top quality and a little goes a long way. I gave some to a straightie friend who's hair was in bad shape and it worked wonders for her. If you look for Behentrimonium Methosulfate in the ingredients it will tell you it's got good slip and also helps with static. You don't find this in drugstore brands too often but it's cousin Behentrimonium Chloride works similar. Some of the Garnier condish's have it.

Ditto to everything Del said.

My daugther has 1a hair that loves to tangle.
    I stopped using sulfates on her. Switched to EO, Giovanni or Burt's Bees poos. Not using sulfates really helps with dryness. Her hair didn't feel dry, because it's so smooth with a really flat cuticle. But apparently it was dry and causing tangles.

I ALWAYS use a rinse out conditioner on her now. Usually EO, Nature's Gate, Giovanni or Tresseme Naturals. These are pretty light for fine, straight hair. After she gets out, I use a microfiber turbin to dry her hair. Don't dry it by ruffling with a regular towel - this just makes more tangles. Then I detangle with wide toothed comb and 2-3 spritzes of watered down condish in a spray bottle. On stubborn knots, we use Taliah Waajid bodifying mist (DD loves the coconut smell).
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
    Thanks so much for the help ladies. I'll pass these suggestions on to the sister-in-law and see what she does. I don't understand how someone is so willing to shell out so much money for shampoo and conditioner for her own hair, but won't do it for her daughter. Makes no sense to me.

• KandyLandKurlsKandyLandKurls Posts: 118Registered Users
    To help with my daughters hair, we use a product called Mixed Chicks it really helped define my daughters curls and keep the frizzies away! They have a great leave in and shampoo. If you would like to try it for free, I am currently having a Giveaway on my blog KandyLand just enter the contest and you could win the Shampoo, Deep Conditioner, Gloss and Shine, and 2 Travel Trios!

note:I was told that it does contain silicones, if that is an issue just wash with a sulfate shampoo :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]*Natural Childrens Hair Care Blog*
    http://kandylandkurls.blogspot.com
    -Hair Type 3C mixed with 4A-
    To help with my daughters hair, we use a product called Mixed Chicks it really helped define my daughters curls and keep the frizzies away! They have a great leave in and shampoo. If you would like to try it for free, I am currently having a Giveaway on my blog KandyLand just enter the contest and you could win the Shampoo, Deep Conditioner, Gloss and Shine, and 2 Travel Trios!

note:I was told that it does contain silicones, if that is an issue just wash with a sulfate shampoo :-)

Oooohhhh! Thank you!

• crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    Since she is already using suave products I would suggest the suave professionals almond and shea butter. I myself love this conditioner. It has really good slip.
  • KandyLandKurlsKandyLandKurls Posts: 118Registered Users
    Your welcome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]*Natural Childrens Hair Care Blog*
    http://kandylandkurls.blogspot.com
    -Hair Type 3C mixed with 4A-
    crazywaves wrote: »
    Since she is already using suave products I would suggest the suave professionals almond and shea butter. I myself love this conditioner. It has really good slip.

Never thought of that one. Will have to pass that one on, too! Thanks!

My sister-in-law told me she has been using Redken's Anti-snap on my niece, so I'm prone to think part of the problem is protein overload. We're driving up there (they live about 2 hours away) in 2 weeks, so I'll see what her hair looks and feels like then and see what we're really looking at. It's hard to make a diagnosis with "it's really damaged and dry and tangly." I suspect it's a combination of products that are all wrong for her hair and wrong handling. Ironic, since her mom attending cosmetology school for a while.

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My sister-in-law told me she has been using Redken's Anti-snap on my niece, so I'm prone to think part of the problem is protein overload. We're driving up there (they live about 2 hours away) in 2 weeks, so I'll see what her hair looks and feels like then and see what we're really looking at. It's hard to make a diagnosis with "it's really damaged and dry and tangly." I suspect it's a combination of products that are all wrong for her hair and wrong handling. Ironic, since her mom attending cosmetology school for a while.
    isn't hard to get protein overload when you're using sulphates to wash though Sunshine? This poor girl sounds like she's in dire need of some good DT's or even just less washing would be a step in the right direction. Maybe you can talk them into diluting her shampoo and using it only on her scalp with conditioner from the ears down? Keep us updated after your visit :)
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    isn't hard to get protein overload when you're using sulphates to wash though Sunshine? This poor girl sounds like she's in dire need of some good DT's or even just less washing would be a step in the right direction. Maybe you can talk them into diluting her shampoo and using it only on her scalp with conditioner from the ears down? Keep us updated after your visit :)

I don't know what I'm dealing with right now. Honestly, if I could get away with not going up for this family function, I would. This particular sister-in-law and brother are going through "issues" and the only reason I'm talking to her is to help the poor niece with her hair issues. Well, I'm also talking with her because my brother asked me to. I'll do just about anything for my family. Even if I want to kick her in the eyebrows. She's a good mom, despite her washing her poor daughter's hair to death and not giving her enough moisture in return. I'm going to approach sulfate-free again, but don't hold out much hope. Although I'm going to bring some of my old stuff and a lot of it is sulfate free, so that might work it into their lives. Who knows?

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Redken Anti-Snap! That's what I was using when my hair started to turn to straw before I learned about and went CG!

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the Anti-Snap! Then she needs a sulfate poo, a DT, and I'd personally recommend Curly Hair Solutions SLIP. SLIP actually works better than Anti-Snap, and doesn't come with hair damage.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Redken Anti-Snap! That's what I was using when my hair started to turn to straw before I learned about and went CG!

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the Anti-Snap! Then she needs a sulfate poo, a DT, and I'd personally recommend Curly Hair Solutions SLIP. SLIP actually works better than Anti-Snap, and doesn't come with hair damage.

Yeah, I'm going to approach her giving up the Anti-snap unless the niece starts to get really soft mushy hair, which would indicate she needs a shot of protein. I actually have some SLIP I was going to take up to them when I go up, so that's a fabulous thing! Thanks for the suggestion!

• geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Been reading good chatter on this forum about the "Tangle Teaser," a non-painful brush you can get at Sally's and elsewhere. Haven't tried it, but probably gonna get one for my DD. Might be good if the the niece's hair has been getting ripped when detangling.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • Future WaveFuture Wave Posts: 154Registered Users
    This may be too cheap and simplistic, but when my kids were little and I was sulfating their hair every day, I was spending a small fortune on No More Tangles just to be able to get a comb through their tangles.

I was using condish on them anyway,but I was rinsing too much out because I was living under the premise the hair has to be squeaky clean all the time.

So what I finally did was to make my own No More Tangles solution, which is really nothing more than a leave in conditioner. Just a spray bottle with water in it, then added Suave coconut condish (just enough to make the water feel slippery) shake, spritz as much as you want on the hair because it's so watered down. It doesn't surprise me now, but back then I was amazed that it didn't leave their hair feeling greasy, and of course it also prevented static fly-aways.
    co-wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
    condish - Trader Joe's TTT and Refresh
    styling - FOTE, shea butter, jojoba oil, LA Looks

Kryptonite: Stearalkonium Chloride, quats
    Crapper. The trip up there this weekend is cancelled. Guess I'll have to hope the sis-in-law went and bought some Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition or the Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioners and hope they helped. Dunno what else I can really do. It's not like I'm going to make a 2 hour trip one way just to take hair product up to my sister-in-law. Especially because the gas would be on my dime, I'm sure. Not gonna happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file