Help! How do I determine how much product?!

So yesterday I went and bought KC Knot Today and KCCC. I was so excited about it! But I tried it out today and think I did it all wrong! I was reading things about frizziness and not using enough LI, so I put in a fair amount. Then I added the KCCC. After it sat for a bit, I touched my hair and it felt SOOOOO goopy. So I went and rinsed (just with water) and tried again, but with waaay less KCCC. When I rinsed my hair felt very dry and unhappy :( After doing it over, it just feel heavy and frizzy and sad. My hair isn't dry yet, but am I doing something wrong?! :sad6:

I used to use just a pinch of LI (non-CG), then switched to a spray gel... but I've never used this much, and it feel heavy and yucky.

How much is a good amount to use?! I have thin and fine hair, but it's frizzy and only looks and feels good right after it's dried. Any suggestions on what to do? I'd love to go see a stylist here, but I don't have the money, so I'm depending on your help!!
Thanks!
Type: 3b with a little 3a f/m mix, ii

A "Mrs." as of June 26, 2010 :love3:

Comments

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    It's really different for everyone, unfortunately. That being said, I have some of the same issues you have whenever I use KCCC. It has been put aside on my shelf for the time being because there are too many other things that actually work well for me.

I hope some of the KCCC users will have some good advice for you! Good luck!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • BearBear Posts: 23Registered Users
    You really just have to experiment. I think if you have fine hair, you should go with lighter weight products. KCCC is kinda heavy so maybe try using a lighter LI or just less of it
    fine, 2c
    just doin my wavy thang :glasses1:

http://public.fotki.com/bearsfotki
    PW: bayu
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is the million dollar question! For me I have to experiment with each and every new product I use to determine.

I always apply on the side of more because I can always scrunch and keep touching my hair if I have too much. I am up the creek when I don't put enough in.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is it possible to quantify the amounts you're using? "A fair amount" of KCKT doesn't tell me anything, but if you said you used a tablespoon or a teaspoon or a cup, I would get it. I have found with KCKT that I need a very small amount as a leave-in - maybe a half teaspoon for my whole head. And with KCCC, I use maybe that same amount, maybe 3/4 of a teaspoon. You don't need much of the Kinky Curly products, but even distribution is key for making them work.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have very fine hair and find that using a little bit (a nickle size) of several different products gives me better curls than alot of one, with the exception of leave-in condish. For that I use a pea size. Then add a nickle size of curl enhancer and a nickle size of a jelly, sometimes 2 curl enhancers and then about a quarter size of a light weight gel like Angel. But keep in mind I have short hair, very fine but alot of it.

But what keeps my hair at its best is DT's, at least once a week. Moisture with a little protein in the winter, Protein with a little moisture in the summer. If I don't do this, it doesn't matter what product I put in, my hair just doesn't do well.
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file