Pixie cut?

dinnertimedinnertime Registered Users Posts: 7
Lately, I have been wondering what it would be like to have a pixie cut. It seems like it would be easy to take care of, but I don't know if it would work out with my hair.
I have 2b/3a/3b, maybe a bit of 3c, hair, with the curlier hair by my temples, the wavy hair on the bottom half, and the 3a and 3b on the top. I was hoping that if I cut it short, I could get rid of most of the curl.
Do you guys think it would work out? If it does curl, would it curl into my head, or curl out? I wanted something like those below. I especially like the last two. :)

P.S. This is my first post, so sorry if I put this in the wrong section or something. :confused1:

Comments

• crrrazycurlycrrrazycurly Registered Users Posts: 22
    I have 3b hair and my father has basically the same hair. His cut is obviously quite close to a pixie. Can't say I'd recommend it... Curls are there and the frizz is still there. He does not use products, so it's not the best version of short curly hair but the curl is still very much there.
  • SarahZminaSarahZmina Registered Users Posts: 15
    First of all, Pixie cuts only work on very oval feminine faces. I had a very short cut like a pixie when I was a teenager and everyone thought I was a boy. So, make sure you have the right face shape for a pixie. Second, curl is always there regardless of whether it's short or long. Without product you will look like Mike Brady from the Brady Bunch and with product you will look like a poodle. It's a cruel cruel world for curlies who want a pixie.
    Types
    3a on top and 3b underneath

Products
    Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
    Co-Wash: WEN Tea Tree Mint Conditioner
    Condition:DevaCurl OneCondition
    Leave-In:DevaCurl OneCondtion
    Stylers:Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper and DevaCare Arc AnGel
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Getting a pixie cut won't take your curl away. The 3B and 3C areas, in particular, will curl even more than it does now. Length adds weight to hair, and weight keeps your hair from going every which way (thanks to gravity), depending on the vagaries of your curl pattern. The worst is that it's all bad stages until it's back down to at least your shoulders, and that's more than a year away from the haircut.

Trust me. My mother forced me to have 1" pixie cuts through most of my childhood because she didn't have a clue how to deal with curly hair. I've also gotten scalped by plenty of hairdressers who thought they knew more about my hair than I did, and either swooped in with their scissors and hacked out prominent sections of hair, forcing me to allow them to cut the rest to match; or kept trying to even up one side after the other until they'd pretty much run out of hair.

Then there were my midnight special haircuts when I was in high school when I'd give up on growing my hair, and go after it with the craft scissors during a study break, but at least I cut it dry and with the curl.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • xyzioloxyziolo Registered Users Posts: 232
    SarahZmina wrote: »
    First of all, Pixie cuts only work on very oval feminine faces. I had a very short cut like a pixie when I was a teenager and everyone thought I was a boy. So, make sure you have the right face shape for a pixie. Second, curl is always there regardless of whether it's short or long. Without product you will look like Mike Brady from the Brady Bunch and with product you will look like a poodle. It's a cruel cruel world for curlies who want a pixie.

Totally disagree. I've worn a pixie for 15 years and have 3b/3c hair. I simply use product and comb the pixie. Now, when it gets to a certain length is starts curling, and if i don't use say - an ecostyler type gel with good hold - it will be curly.
    the growing out phases though are BRUTAL...between the pixie and at least a full bob. BRUTAL.

I am currently going through them...

Just something to keep in mind...
  • SarahZminaSarahZmina Registered Users Posts: 15
    Actually, it depends on the type of hair you have. A african-american pixie cut will act differently than a pixie cut with 3b/3c caucasian hair. Even when I had a pixie cut I used product to smooth it and it looked silly but I do agree that the grow-out period totally stinks.
    Types
    3a on top and 3b underneath

Products
    Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
    Co-Wash: WEN Tea Tree Mint Conditioner
    Condition:DevaCurl OneCondition
    Leave-In:DevaCurl OneCondtion
    Stylers:Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper and DevaCare Arc AnGel
    SarahZmina wrote: »
    Actually, it depends on the type of hair you have. A african-american pixie cut will act differently than a pixie cut with 3b/3c caucasian hair. Even when I had a pixie cut I used product to smooth it and it looked silly but I do agree that the grow-out period totally stinks.

I don't think it has anything to do with race. I'm hispanic by the way. 3b/3c hair is 3b/3c hair. Now other factors that might influence how your hair behaves might be porosity, hair thickness, etc. Not race though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file