What the heck happened?!

I've been CG no-poo for about 6 months now and I've been thrilled with the results. Until this week. Suddenly my hair just feels nasty...sort of greasy but more frizzy and coarse. It was nice and soft but it's not anymore.

I've been trying some new products from CJ. A leave-in and CCCC. It seems like that's when it started. But now even when it's wet is feels icky. I low poo'd this morning hoping it would help and did a deep conditioning treatment with GF Triple Nutrition (the stuff with avacado in it) and it didn't really seem to help.

Any ideas what caused my hair to go from soft to coarse? I don't normally have coarse hair, so it's really weird. Any ideas how to get it back?

I should add that the curl pattern is still good, just a little frizzy.
3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

No Poo and loving it! Gave up my hair dryer and never looked back!

Favorite Condishs: Suave Naturals (cowash) or TRESemme Naturals
Leave-In: CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or KCKT
Curl Creme: AG re:coil or SS Hair Butter
Gel: HETT, GF Gel

Product Junkie...Swap board addict!

Comments

• SmoochSmooch Posts: 51Registered Users
    Could it be that your hair is over-moisturized?
    Or maybe there's just an ingredient your hair doesn't like. Check the label and see what's changed.
    3 a/b. Dark-medium brown.
    Natural products: eggs, lemon juice, honey, aloe vera gel. Cone free stylers.
    Suave and VO5!!!
  • kristie911kristie911 Posts: 154Registered Users
    I'm wondering if that's not the problem...what do you do if it is over-moisturized? How do I fix it?
    3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

• kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    That was my first thought.

Do a protein treatment or use a conditioner with some protein in and see if that helps :)

Also I just thought- over conditioned and too much protein can often look quite similar - check through the products you are using - if they have a lot of protein in, it might be that it is too much for your hair.

Does your hair feel straw like?
    Not really straw like...just frizzy and flat with a droopy curl pattern, a little greasy instead of soft and more coarse but not straw like.

• kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Then I would try a protein treatment. When I used AOHR conditioner my hair got way over-conditioned. It lost all its curl and went fluffy and felt dry. I didn't have greasy hair though.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    Do you have hard water? Sounds to me like hard-water build up. OC'd hair is usually super soft so I wouldn't expect that.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • SmoochSmooch Posts: 51Registered Users
    kristie911 wrote: »
    a little greasy instead of soft and more coarse but not straw like.

Thats exactly what mine felt like when i started using oyin's "juices and Berries" I think the culprit was the vegetable glycerin.
    3 a/b. Dark-medium brown.
    Natural products: eggs, lemon juice, honey, aloe vera gel. Cone free stylers.
    Suave and VO5!!!
    I do have medium hard water...it's not terrible but it is harder than normal.

Maybe greasy is the wrong word for it, I've always had very dry hair so to me it's a little greasy feeling. It's hard to describe. But I definitely wouldn't say super soft because of the frizz. It's just yucky and flat to my head even though the curl is still there...there's just no volume anymore. And it seems to have happened so suddenly.

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    Honestly, as much as I LOVE my CJ products, I had a similar problem with CJCCCC. Once the dews started dropping late in the fall, I couldn't use CCCC anymore without having droopy, flat curls. I stopped using it for now. I'll use it again once the dews pick up again. But, I also changed up my whole routine from when I was using CCCC. I use a lot less products now and my curls are much more perky for it. Back then, I would use:

Rinse out
    Leave-in
    Curl Creme
    Gel

Now, I skip the curl creme completely. And I don't use a leave-in all the time. It depends on how my hair feels that day. If I don't use it, I'll probably use Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly along with a gel.

What was happening to me is the curl cremes were weighing down my curl. I needed lighter products. Maybe this is happening to you too??
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kristie911 wrote: »
    I've been CG no-poo for about 6 months now and I've been thrilled with the results. Until this week. Suddenly my hair just feels nasty...sort of greasy but more frizzy and coarse. It was nice and soft but it's not anymore.

I've been trying some new products from CJ. A leave-in and CCCC. It seems like that's when it started. But now even when it's wet is feels icky. I low poo'd this morning hoping it would help and did a deep conditioning treatment with GF Triple Nutrition (the stuff with avacado in it) and it didn't really seem to help.

Any ideas what caused my hair to go from soft to coarse? I don't normally have coarse hair, so it's really weird. Any ideas how to get it back?

I should add that the curl pattern is still good, just a little frizzy.

Coarse hair isnt a feel-- its the size of the hair strand. Unless you think your hair shaft swelled with the process...

Your CJ + cowashing = overconditioned. You need protein treatments, and you need to waterwash for a while and lay off the extra conditioning processes. Just waterwash, use a light rinseout to detangle and then a LI with styler. Use a sulfate free poo for scalp cleansing every so often and your hair will recover.

This exact thing happened to me when I was CG and started using CJ (which is a highly conditioning line). It took me a while to recover though-- over a month. Hopefully it wont be that way for you.

HTH
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    I apologize for using the word coarse, I should have said rough I guess. I was using the words inchangably when I shouldn't have been.

Thanks for all of the advice...I'm guessing I was overconditioned/overmoisturized (who knew that could even happen!! LOL). This morning I low poo'd my hair, used my regular rinse out and then put a bit of the rinse out back in as a leave-in. I skipped the CJ leave-in. I added HETT gel to my hair when it was still dripping wet, scrunched with a t-shirt and diffused. Boom...good hair again.

I'm really bummed because I loved the CJ leave-in and bought two bottles of it! Now I'm stuck with expensive leave-in I can't use...guess I'll be hitting the swap board. I really wanted to love Curl Junkie but I guess it's just not for me.

Thanks for all your help!!

• RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glad you're having good hair again! However, don't be too quick to give up on your CJ leave-in just yet. You never know - you could be over conditioned, it could be the cold weather or dew points, it could be just that your hair wasn't feeling it. You went CG right about the same time I did, and I have found that weather and time of year are playing a huge role in what I use and how well it works for me. I have experienced fall and winter on a CG regimen, but not spring or summer - and my routines and products will probably change all over again as the seasons change. It may be worth it to hold on to that CJ product just until spring/summer and give it another go. If it doesn't work then, you'll know it's not the product for you.

Just an idea!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Give up CJ!? Umm no missy. You hold ON to the CJ and ask ladies how to keep it in the routine. This line plays well with other things, but DEPENDS on the thing.

Which LI is it? Maybe we can help you get the best out of it.

and sometimes, the hair just needs a CJ break. I have periods where I need a CJ break or else I'll OC-- but I never toss the goodies! LOLOL!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    I have the Curl Assurance Leave in (in the blue bottle). I don't know if I was using too much or what. I love the way it makes my hair feel when it's wet but once it dried. Yuck.

And I tried the CCCC with the leave in under it and by itself but it just wasn't working for me. I have about 1/4 of a jar left (it was only a partial jar off the swap board) so I think I'll save that for when the dew points are higher and try again. (dew point is 6 here today!)

I haven't tried the leave-in under my gel yet (I don't think...I start to forget what I've tried and what I haven't). So maybe after a couple of days, I'll try that. I'm not fond of gels because I hate the crunch but the creams are not working for me right now!

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hold on to those products until summer comes around. Some of those leave ins and stuff are no good in winter but might make you look great when the weather is warmer and more humid.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file