Avoiding White Clumps aka Booger Balls in Hair?

chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
Its been an ongoing struggle on my hair journey to learn methods and products that work well together on my hair primarily when i do a wash n go involving gel and a leave in.

I know its really important to have a leave in beneath your gel when you want a moisturized and defined wash n go or style. Pleease ladies, have you discovered any tried and true mixtures or methods to avoid these dag 'on white balls of frustration??:goofy:
3c/4a 100% natural:bunny:
I :love8: Tahitian Monoi Oil.
Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
Conditioner Only Method.
http://public.fotki.com/peabella

Comments

• ms_clawedms_clawed Posts: 57Registered Users
    I too would love to know the answer this also. I believe it's one of the biggest reasons why my hair stays so dry, I usually opt to NOT put a leave-in(moisture)because of this. I can deal with whiteness cause that goes away but those "bugger balls" are sooo :banghead:

The only leave in and gel combo that doesn't produce those balls are Carol's Daughter Tui Leave-in Conditioner w/ Eco Styler. But my hair get super crunchy-dry by the end of the day, I guess I could keep spritzing it throughout the day..idk?
    "You have one mind use it, one body take care of it, and one life live it!"

MY ROUTINE:

:banghead:
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We get the balls because the ingredients in our products are reacting with one another when we layer...the best thing to do is just use a different combo (another reason why I rarely use Eco Styler, this happens so much with it). I love Curl Junkie Curl Queen because it works with everything and you don't get the white balls. Even my aloe vera gel gives them to me sometimes. Sigh.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • coilysugarcoilysugar Posts: 2Registered Users
    That sounds great Elle...I think I'll try that! I have also noticed that I get the dreaded white balls with anything mixed with Eco styler...I think I'm gonna have to get rid of it....:sad11:
  • chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
    what is the curl queen's consistency like? ya know, i love eco styler but it sure is the most persnickity gel imaginible when it comes to other products and without something underneath it feels like i'm spreading elmer's glue down my hair. love the hold though.

i think i remember seeing ages ago that some people got got results layering the eco styler over long aid curl activator gel (softness without sacrificing hold). i have another curl activator gel by right on curl whose ingredients are more appealing than long aids and with a nice texture. i might have to try that out.
    Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
    Conditioner Only Method.
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    I use KCCC over KCKT or KCKT w/ EVOO. Never had any white gunk balls.
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

So the ecostyler is the culprit, huh? I guess I'll have to try another gel.

MY ROUTINE:

• Lotsa_TanglesLotsa_Tangles Posts: 128Registered Users
    I usually don't have the white balls when I use activator gel. But I do notice them more when I am heavy handed with condish and also when I need to clarify. When trying out a new combo I put the products on my palm and mix them together; if they they get all janky on my hand then I know they'll do the same on my hair...

Hope you find a winning combo!
    The blog of a non-blogger: www.naturallytia.com
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    things i can use under ecostyler without getting hair boogers:

komaza care coconut pudding, hair milk or hair lotion

mixed chicks or mixed silk (you only need a DAB of the eco on top though)

coconut oil underneath herbal essence conditioner (hello hydration or totally twisted)
    again only use a dab

karens body beautiful hair milk or hair nectar
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    not a proper 'leave-in' but i found that i can use a little Lustrasilk Shea-Mango Cholesterol under the Eco Olive gel. It can get a bit white at first if there's too much(conditioner) but no balls.
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    what is the curl queen's consistency like? ya know, i love eco styler but it sure is the most persnickity gel imaginible when it comes to other products and without something underneath it feels like i'm spreading elmer's glue down my hair. love the hold though.

i think i remember seeing ages ago that some people got got results layering the eco styler over long aid curl activator gel (softness without sacrificing hold). i have another curl activator gel by right on curl whose ingredients are more appealing than long aids and with a nice texture. i might have to try that out.

The Curly Queen is MUCH lighter than Eco Styler, it's almost like a gelly rather than a gel. It's definitely not hard hold. I like Long Aid better than Eco too.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users
    I use Infusium 23 (Moisture-ologie?) underneath the Eco successfully.

Here's how I know if the two products will create those hair boogers: Take a dab of whatever you want to use and place it on the palm of your hand. Then, take a dab of Ecostyler and mix them together in your hand. If it becomes slimy and the dreaded white boogers appear, then it'll do the same on your hair.

HTH
  • chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
    lotsa tangles and goddess lala: thanks so much for the idea of combing two products in my hand! i know i'm heavy handed with conditioners and leave ins (i'm paranoid about dryness) so i'll have to curb that!

elle pixie: i'm gpnna have to look into the curl queen because i've learned my hair seems to love things with a slipper, jelly like consistency. its funny, if i put shampoo down the length of my hair, i get incredible definition! of course i can't leave that in

thanks for all the great suggestions!!
    Conditioner Only Method.
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    I would mix products together prior to applying them to my hair. This extra step has helped me avoid the product booger balls.
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
    Mixing the products in my hand before applying it to my hair IS a good idea! Thanks

MY ROUTINE:

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SugarNuts wrote: »
    I would mix products together prior to applying them to my hair. This extra step has helped me avoid the product booger balls.

I've learned that the hard way. Saves you from having to start from ground zero - especially if you have a lot of hair to do and don't want to waste product.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    SugarNuts wrote: »

I've learned that the hard way. Saves you from having to start from ground zero - especially if you have a lot of hair to do and don't want to waste product.

I do have a lot of hair. I just decided to try it one day. It worked for me. I section my hair first prior to applying the product mix. This has helped me eliminate the waste of my products.
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file