another way to measure thickness than pony tail method?

I've been curious what category my hair falls into. thin, medium, thick, corse, but unfortunately my hair (at least yet) isn't long enough to do the pony tail method. I personally think its super fine but then i checked out google and alot of the pictures that came up, celebrities too, seemed to have super fine hair. Im guessing im not really understanding what "fine" and "thick" are. if race matters at all, im korean.

Comments

• pandamanpandaman Posts: 5Registered Users
    oh yeah, i figured i might as well get this question out too. its been worrying me so i've been putting it off but with the amount of hair i lose in the shower (made a thread about it), this is how my hair looks after shampooing. is this a clear sign that im losing hair?

f0bz2t.jpg
    this is after showering. i tried to slick all my hair back but i guess the front is still too short. also felt resistance,which made it uncomfortable.

2b9o34.jpg
    the way i like to wear it right now. just splitting it down the middle with a comb. hair is still wet.

2qsmb6b.jpg
    hair is almost 90 percent dry.
    255qbo3.jpg
    the back shot.

alright guys, be brutally honest. am i thinning at the age of 20? if so, i need to find out what to do asap. maybe i'll just shave my head again. so so stressful.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It looks like you have coarse hair (in my limited experience that's normal for Asian hair) and yes maybe lowish density. So it's probably average thickness if it was long enough to ponytail, but because each hair is big, not because of lots of hairs.

But no, it certainly doesn't look like you need to shave it off!
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • pandamanpandaman Posts: 5Registered Users
    It looks like you have coarse hair (in my limited experience that's normal for Asian hair) and yes maybe lowish density. So it's probably average thickness if it was long enough to ponytail, but because each hair is big, not because of lots of hairs.

But no, it certainly doesn't look like you need to shave it off!

Thank you for the reply! What's your thoughts on the back of the head. Where it makes the little "l". Is that normal or is that a sign of early balding? I mean Im seeing quite a bit of my scalp! :X getting me nervous.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    pandaman wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply! What's your thoughts on the back of the head. Where it makes the little "l". Is that normal or is that a sign of early balding? I mean Im seeing quite a bit of my scalp! :X getting me nervous.

I don't think you're balding early. My hair/part does the same thing and I'm definitely not balding.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    pandaman wrote: »

I don't think you're balding early. My hair/part does the same thing and I'm definitely not balding.

Same here. I have a pretty normal number of hairs according to my hairdresser, but my hair is very fine so I don't have a lot of hair mass, if that makes sense. Anyway, my part does the same thing in the back. And my part definitely looks more sparse than yours. I think you're fine.

If this is an abnormal amount of hair *for you* you might want to talk to your doctor about it. But just in general, I think your hair and part look fine.
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file