Your hair is getting so long! When are you going to let me twist it? |:<

curlyhaleycurlyhaley Posts: 38Registered Users
gjojhowerihjyer!

I'm so tired of hearing this! People are constantly telling me, "ooh girl, your hair is so long and healthy, when are you going to lock it?" "Ohh Haley, when are you going to let me twist that hair?" "Better start getting those locks going now girl, or they may not lock up!"

"Now that it's almost four inches, you should start locking it up."

Or my favorite, coming from a natural lady with 3b/c hair "Girl! I'm so glad you went natural! But you know, you don't have a good grade of hair like me, so you'll need to get locs before you start looking like a SLAVE.

Yes, everyone. I spent TWO YEARS OF MY LIFE RESEARCHING how to care for, and style, unlocked natural hair; but I'm going to put locs in my hair. menupop.gif

What they really want to say is, "Girl, if you don't do something with that nappy fro.."

Next time I'll be telling someone off in 3... 2...

Natural
Big Chop: October 26th, 2010
Hair Type: Fantastically Nappy! :D
Goal: APL, and NO longer :bounce:.

Teeny weeny afro.
:love1:

Comments

• naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users
    "Or my favorite, coming from a natural lady with 3b/c hair "Girl! I'm so glad you went natural! But you know, you don't have a good grade of hair like me, so you'll need to get locs before you start looking like a SLAVE"

Ok this is the comment that really had me going "WTF" What is wrong with folks? I can not beliieve she would have the audacity to even say those words!

I used to get the are you gonna loc question all the time. Sorry you had to go through that:shaking:
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    curlyhaley wrote: »
    Or my favorite, coming from a natural lady with 3b/c hair "Girl! I'm so glad you went natural! But you know, you don't have a good grade of hair like me, so you'll need to get locs before you start looking like a SLAVE.

!!!!!!!!!

I am in shock! People like that shouldn't even BE natural… don't comments like that go against the natural hair community's "healthy hair = beautiful hair" mantra? Talk about self-hatred… SMH!!!!!:angry7:
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Interesting. I'm 4a and I never get asked about locking my hair. People just want to know how I get it to spiral. Maybe it depends on where you live.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • morenaemorenae Posts: 43Registered Users
    Dumb.

I'm a lifelong 3c typical corkscrew curl natural with long hair that I used to wear in a huge, big hair Kelis style. I remember hearing the same sort of "when are you going to lock it" thing about 10-15 years ago from a lifelong 4a natural friend of mine. :roll: I haven't forgot it!

At my first Black Student Union meeting in college (10+ years ago), someone wrote a note to me asking, "Are those dreadlocks?" as a joke I guess. I found it a reflection of their own cultural ignorance and never attended again. I'll never forget that either!
  • curlyhaleycurlyhaley Posts: 38Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm 4a and I never get asked about locking my hair. People just want to know how I get it to spiral. Maybe it depends on where you live.

Haha! Do you have silky, coily, 4a hair? My hair is 80% 4a, wavy(almost straight xD), but it's EXTRA cottony. My curl pattern is 4a, but my TEXTURE is cotton. So it's.. interesting haha. And people where I live refer to "good hair types that can be natural" as silky, spring, curly hair. :\
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
    naiha1 wrote: »
    "Or my favorite, coming from a natural lady with 3b/c hair "Girl! I'm so glad you went natural! But you know, you don't have a good grade of hair like me, so you'll need to get locs before you start looking like a SLAVE"

Ok this is the comment that really had me going "WTF" What is wrong with folks? I can not beliieve she would have the audacity to even say those words!

I used to get the are you gonna loc question all the time. Sorry you had to go through that:shaking:

I agree! She's only natural, in my opinion, because she's allergic to like, all relaxers. Ughh. She's always putting my hair down. ):.
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
    curlyclo89 wrote: »

!!!!!!!!!

I am in shock! People like that shouldn't even BE natural… don't comments like that go against the natural hair community's "healthy hair = beautiful hair" mantra? Talk about self-hatred… SMH!!!!!:angry7:

I know!!! Blah. I'm glad the natural hair "trend" is over, and people that only did it because of everyone else is getting creamy again. Because these ignorant people are annoying as life.
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
    morenae wrote: »
    Dumb.

I'm a lifelong 3c typical corkscrew curl natural with long hair that I used to wear in a huge, big hair Kelis style. I remember hearing the same sort of "when are you going to lock it" thing about 10-15 years ago from a lifelong 4a natural friend of mine. :roll: I haven't forgot it!

At my first Black Student Union meeting in college (10+ years ago), someone wrote a note to me asking, "Are those dreadlocks?" as a joke I guess. I found it a reflection of their own cultural ignorance and never attended again. I'll never forget that either!

Blahh! I hate that for you. ]:. People don't understand how off putting their comments are.
    AND NOT EVERYONE NEEDS DREADLOCKS. xD Lmaoo!
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
  • vain???janevain???jane Posts: 197Registered Users
    gjojhowerihjyer!

I'm so tired of hearing this! People are constantly telling me, "ooh girl, your hair is so long and healthy, when are you going to lock it?" "Ohh Haley, when are you going to let me twist that hair?" "Better start getting those locks going now girl, or they may not lock up!"

Yes, everyone. I spent TWO YEARS OF MY LIFE RESEARCHING how to care for, and style, unlocked natural hair; but I'm going to put locs in my hair. menupop.gif

What they really want to say is, "Girl, if you don't do something with that nappy fro.."

wow that has got to be the most ignorant comment towards natural hair that i have EVER heard, hands down. i mean this really takes the cake.

tell those suckas you'll twist your nice hair when they twist theirs. ♥
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2009
    BC: Feb 2010

fy05ec.jpg

my fotki, updated 2.01.11 ♥
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    they used to ask me when i was going to perm my hair... consider yourself lucky... at least they expect you to stay natural lol.

sidenoteish: i find it very odd that the very same ppl who were so AGAINST me getting a perm in the first place are the same ones acting as though i'm some deviant for not perming my hair now... i mean, NOTHING about my hair when i was 13 and my hair now at age 21 is different (except my hair now might be healthier).
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • LeeLee182LeeLee182 Posts: 784Registered Users
    I used to get the are you going to dread it questions often..

it's been 3 years and i still get the "girrrl what are u gunna do to that hair?!" when i wear a wash and go.

Like really...u see from the moment i BC'd to now i wear my hair curly or in some kind of curly style. Wtf u expecting to change...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *Blue Curls Don't Care!*

iHerb $5 off Code: HIV320
    KY is for inferior b*tches. -Keeny*

My YouTube Channel ~ http://www.youtube.com/user/CurleeDrugz

Blog:http://norehabneeded.wordpress.com/
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    gjojhowerihjyer!

WOOOOW. sheer ignorance! Some people's mindsets truly never fail to amaze me ... Don't take it too hard, those people can't help but reject the hair that used to be looked down upon centuries ago, because that very tightly curled hair type was just another thing that people used to make us seem more inferior - since it was nothing like straight hair. This is why we have hair boards and blogs to show and demonstrate the true beauty of our naturally tightly curled kinks so that more and more people will realize that we are meant to have it and it's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sorry you had to go through this :(

!!!!!!!!!

I know!!! Blah. I'm glad the natural hair "trend" is over, and people that only did it because of everyone else is getting creamy again. Because these ignorant people are annoying as life.

or going "thermal" :roll:
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hate people sometimes, lol. Someone told me that black women can't have long natural hair unless they loc it or braid it because otherwise it looks crazy. I was like, "Sure thing!"
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users

!!!!!!!!!

Natural hair is going out of style?!?!?!? What am I gonna doooooooo?!!!?!?!? LOL, j/k more products for me
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, that assy 'slave' comment reminds me of what a frenemy said after one of my BCs(super short). "Oh you cut your haaaaiiir, 'Tanya' just cut hers too but she has good hair. What are you going to do with yours?"

I've really wanted to punch her. I think I talked to her like once after that. It was soo not the right time at all either, like mid 90s/ ...I was borderline chicken-sh#t paranoid about being natural as it was back then.

I was in hats and wraps for a while after that.

oh yah, Bonus shank in my ribs: When I went to the hairdresser w/ my mom weeks later and the stylist ( the frenemy, Mom and i all went to the same one) said "I heard you cut your hair..what's going on under there??!" hardy harhar, big eyes all around.

So I knew then that Frenemy was also running around clucking about what a shocking mess I looked.

People can be so sickening.:sad4: I've learned to ignore it as much as possible.
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's a doggone shame OP.

I get the "what are you going to do to that hair?" "I know someone that can twist that hair for you" comments a lot when I wear wash n go's or a puff. I'm like "Fool, don't you see me wearing twists all the time? I don't need your help" :mad:
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
    Kitathena wrote: »
    That's a doggone shame OP.

I get the "what are you going to do to that hair?" "I know someone that can twist that hair for you" comments a lot when I wear wash n go's or a puff. I'm like "Fool, don't you see me wearing twists all the time? I don't need your help" :mad:

I just died that you replied to me. xD. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. And I know, it's like, I know you see that I wear my hair everyday.. I don't need your help! Ugh. :mad:
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
    Wow, that assy 'slave' comment reminds me of what a frenemy said after one of my BCs(super short). "Oh you cut your haaaaiiir, 'Tanya' just cut hers too but she has good hair. What are you going to do with yours?"

I've really wanted to punch her. I think I talked to her like once after that. It was soo not the right time at all either, like mid 90s/ ...I was borderline chicken-sh#t paranoid about being natural as it was back then.

I was in hats and wraps for a while after that.

oh yah, Bonus shank in my ribs: When I went to the hairdresser w/ my mom weeks later and the stylist ( the frenemy, Mom and i all went to the same one) said "I heard you cut your hair..what's going on under there??!" hardy harhar, big eyes all around.

So I knew then that Frenemy was also running around clucking about what a shocking mess I looked.

People can be so sickening.:sad4: I've learned to ignore it as much as possible.

Frenemies are evil! Gahh! I would've back handed that lady, xD and been like, "it looks better than yours. |:"
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
    gagirl09 wrote: »

Natural hair is going out of style?!?!?!? What am I gonna doooooooo?!!!?!?!? LOL, j/k more products for me

Lmao! I know right! Power to the products! Maybe sell prices will go down because demand is lower!
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I hate people sometimes, lol. Someone told me that black women can't have long natural hair unless they loc it or braid it because otherwise it looks crazy. I was like, "Sure thing!"

Lmao! Crazy? That's more like how most people with RELAXED hair look. With that "perma-bump" on the ends flying about. LMAO. xD
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.

!!!!!!!!!

And they'll be back.. complaining about heat damage... looking a darn fool! :D
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
    gjojhowerihjyer!

WOOOOW. sheer ignorance! Some people's mindsets truly never fail to amaze me ... Don't take it too hard, those people can't help but reject the hair that used to be looked down upon centuries ago, because that very tightly curled hair type was just another thing that people used to make us seem more inferior - since it was nothing like straight hair. This is why we have hair boards and blogs to show and demonstrate the true beauty of our naturally tightly curled kinks so that more and more people will realize that we are meant to have it and it's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sorry you had to go through this :(

]: It sucks hardcore because it's like, EVERY DAY. But I just look at them with ignorance and annoyance, lol! :D
    Natural

Teeny weeny afro.
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    gagirl09 wrote: »

hahahaha :happy6:
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    adthomas wrote: »

I never had anyone ask me either and I'm APL +. I'm a West Coast girl (Bay Area and now Portland) - not sure if that has anything to do with that though.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ellepixie wrote: »

Lmao! Crazy? That's more like how most people with RELAXED hair look. With that "perma-bump" on the ends flying about. LMAO. xD

People are plum crazy. That SAME person who said the above to me just texted me last night like, "Looks like your hair is getting LONG!"

Me: Yea, guess I'll start looking crazy like you said.
    Him: I just said most people look crazy if they aren't young and cute. Like you are!
    Me: Uh-huh.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    People's ignorance never ceases to amaze me. Many people think that the only ways you can wear natural hair is with fros or locs. If they really took the time to research it, they'd found it's so much more versatile.

Incidentally, I've never gotten those comments. I live in the Northeast, but I don't know if that matters.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
    Hi friends, I had an Italian stallion in my bed last night. It was clearly Victor's night! He won with several inches over the competition..
    I'm going to give you as my special friends front row seats to our victory celebration. Watch that boy go! Hot rates on candid tapes available: www.loveawake.com/free-online-dating/Italy-dating
    www.blackwomenitalianmen.it/viewblog.php?id=125 www.italiansrus.com/articles/ourpaesani/italianmen.htm

:shock::laughing5::angel5:
  • FJervisFJervis Posts: 99Registered Users
    I get foolish comments every once in a while but I have a mouth like a sailor so I just let people have it or give them the evil eye.

One girl I work with, ALWAYS has extensions in. Braids, twists, weave, what-have-you. However, they always look "homemade" and janky to me. Its ALWAYS a bad job. I was at work one day, and my hair was looking particularly wild I must admit. But she hollers out to me "why don't you come downstairs, and let me twist that hair?" I didn't even respond to her, I just gave her my best evil eye. To myself, I wondered why I would let her touch my hair when hers always looks a mess!

Then I had been wearing my hair in a messy bun/puff for a few weeks (just washing-and-going) and I put braids in 2 days ago. Another guy I work with goes "Oh I see you finally got your hair done." I told him where to go and to mind his flipping business.

People like to talk trash, I don't stress myself over it too much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file