Two Strand Twist - HELP!

FulraineFulraine Posts: 9Registered Users
I had been transitioning since about November 2009. My hair has been growing at a very slow pace - I think because I have not found the right moisterizing and conditioning products.

I finally got tired and cut off my straight ends on January 17, 2011, after trying the two strand twist style - that looked a hot mess. I thought that the style did not turn out right because I had about 5 inches of 4a natural new growth and about 5 inches of thinner- straight relaxed ends.

I have approximately 5 inches of natural hair. I tried the two strand twist again the following week. Again - A HOT MESS. It was frizzy and the ends were not smooth. It looked nothing like the pictures and youtube demonstrations that I have seen.

Is there some special routine or product that should be used to get a nice two strand twist?

Comments

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What products did you use when doing your two strand twists?

I've found that doing two strand twists is much less about the products used and more about the technique. It took me quite a few times to get the technique down. The good thing is that even when they looked a mess while twisted, it yelds a pretty decent twist out so all is not lost.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • FulraineFulraine Posts: 9Registered Users
    I use Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, Just Natural Leave in conditioner, Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel, Just Natural Shea Butter, Afroveda Whipped Pur Gelly.

I am actually completely confused about how to use the whipped gelly. Should I put a little bit on each individual section right before I twist it? Or should I put the whipped gelly on larger sections and then twist or does it even matter?

I am still trying to figure out which products work best for my hair.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    First I would say ditch the shampoo or use it much less frequently. Unless you are using silicones/mineral oil you really don't need it. I would use it 1x a week max or less (i shampoo about 1x a month and just do conditioner washes in between).

Second...is this the leave in conditioner you used? If so, ditch that too. While it is "organic"..it doesn't have ANY conditioners that the hair needs....just butters/oils/aloe vera. Most good conditioners contain Cetyl alcohol or Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS) within the first 4-5 ingredients. This conditioner lists it number 18, which means percentage wise there is very little of it in the conditioner...so its not smoothing the cuticle of the hair. The just natural shea butter seems to be ok, but there are MUCH better products out there than this line that are MUCH cheaper!

The Afroveda pur whipped is ok also...but it might have been over kill with that AND the lily of the Desert Aloe vera gel...since the Afroveda is basicly a "creamy" verson of the aloe vera gel. Next time I would use one or the other...not both. And apply a little bit to each smaller section and smooth it down the length of the hair and then twist.

hope this helps.

12459237.png
  • FulraineFulraine Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks, I will try your suggestions. I am clearly lost and I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
    no problem. Make sure you participate in the other threads and ask questions...no one minds answering questions.

12459237.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file