Crispiness from SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus?

teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I am newly-natural! :) So, right now, I am learning how to care for my 4a hair, sporting a nearly-two week-old twa.

Anyway, I purchased some SheaMoisture products recently. They include the Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo, the Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner, the Organic Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk, and the Organic Coconut and Hibiscus Hold and Shine Moisture Mist.

On Tuesday, I shampooed with the shampoo, applied and rinsed out the conditioner after 15 minutes, then applied the curl and style milk, followed by the hold and shine. My hair felt great after shampooing and conditioning, and initially felt good after applying the curl and style milk and the hold and shine spray. But, by the end of the day, my hair felt dry and rather crispy. BTW: I have been very diligent and conscientious re: protecting my hair from the harsh winter elements. I've been sporting a silk scarf underneath a hat. :)

This morning, I co-washed with the restorative conditioner, and then re-applied it as a leave-in. Instead of the coconut and hibiscus products, I used Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, Original Formula.

Perhaps using both the curl and style milk and the hold and shine moisture mist was too much? I was surprised, because both products have water as their first ingredient.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png

Comments

• Dimplesonme2Dimplesonme2 Posts: 31Registered Users
    I think it was the hold and shine mist that cause the crispiness. When I use the milk and smoothie my hair comes out really soft, yet when I use the Mist with either one, it does dry somewhat crispy.

Although the milk/smoothie can be used as a leave- in, I prefer to use KCKT underneath for maximum moisture and softness, since it's really cold here. I don't use the milk, smoothie and a leave-in together, because then it becomes coconut oil overload for my hair. It's either one or the other plus a leave-in.

I haven't quite figured out the benefit of the mist yet because the "HOLD" part of it is not desirable for my TWA right now.
    Big Chop: Sept/2010
    Texture: Med-Fine strands, low porosity and protein challenged
    Took so many pictures decided to get a Fotki!
  • mouseymousey Posts: 120Registered Users
    maybe your hair doesn't like shea butter? mine doesn't (and i knew this BEFORE buying, but i still trotted to the checkout line anyway...:-|) it was cool at first, then my hair got crispy by the time it dried. so no shea butter or oil laden products for me, even with water underneath it just makes my hair feel greasy, hard and crispy.
    i cannot live without my aviators, my boston terrier, biology and black tights.:love7:
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think it was the hold and shine mist that cause the crispiness. When I use the milk and smoothie my hair comes out really soft, yet when I use the Mist with either one, it does dry somewhat crispy.

Although the milk/smoothie can be used as a leave- in, I prefer to use KCKT underneath for maximum moisture and softness, since it's really cold here. I don't use the milk, smoothie and a leave-in together, because then it becomes coconut oil overload for my hair. It's either one or the other plus a leave-in.

I haven't quite figured out the benefit of the mist yet because the "HOLD" part of it is not desirable for my TWA right now.

I like the mist for it's moisturizing properties, but it does have a little bit of a crispiness when it dries. I use it to refresh & moisturize my buns, puffs, or updos. So, the slight hold doesn't affect me one way or the other.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you to all who posted thus far. I really appreciate it.

Comment re: hair not liking shea butter: It's possible. However, I intend to use the shampoo and conditioner until they are gone, and then make a determination. I don't think after only two applications that I am able to cast a verdict. :)

event.png
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I agree that it may also be the mist. I used it last night after I read your post, and there is definitely some crispyness this morning :)

But I wanted some hold today so it doesn't matter much. I remember the first time it happened I was so confused. Now I use it like a "mousse in a spritz" :occasion9:
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • viragovirago Posts: 90Registered Users
    I use the Coconut and Hibiscus style milk regularly and this has happened to me too. I'm protein sensitive and I'm pretty sure there's a bit of protein in there. If I'm not heavy handed with it (which I tend to be with everything) or don't constantly re-twist with it, I bypass the crispy-ness.

Just something extra to think about :)
  • teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for those who posted comments recently.

I am glad to know that the crispiness isn't "in my head". It's on my head, but not in it. LOL!

Re: protein: Actually, these particular products have quite a bit of protein.

I am contemplating giving the curl milk another try. I think too many of us - myself included - give up on a product after only one use. I'll continue to tinker with it, use it up, and then make a determination re: whether or not I will re-purchase.

event.png
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    I just ordered 4 of the products since my Target doesn't carry them and I'm excited. I had the mist in the cart but then thought how my hair doesn't really like mist to refresh, they just weigh me down and frizz me up so I ended up with the smoothie, hibiscus milk, the shea milk, and the shea masque. I'm really excited about the smoothie because I have been wanting to try it for a long while but I'll be sure to look out for any type of hold because I'm not really a fan of it.
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights