Being CG and swimming in a chlorinated pool

leelee28leelee28 Registered Users Posts: 137
Hey guys!

I recently went totally CG and I love it. But this week I started a swimming routine, where 2-3 times a week I'll be swimming for exercise. After swimming today, I only CO-washed and then conditioned. But I was reading that chlorine can't be removed without poo...
I do were a swim cap - today was just a lycra one, but I'm thinking of getting a silicone one to put over the lycra one for better protection!
I read on a thread that doing an ACV wash once a week or so should help out. Many said that it wasn't necessary to poo after each swim... is that right?
Also, how can I tell if I still have chemicals in my hair? Tonight, to me at least, my curls look rockin'! :thumbup: lol! (Would it be a good idea to invest in a sulfate-free poo for occassional pool-hair cleansing? I want to go totally no-poo... but is this going to be something I need to do anyways?)

The only thing I noticed was that I scratched my head and have a lot of white debris under my fingernails... does that mean I'm not washing it well enough? I really try to use my nails to "scrub" my head in the shower, and it doesn't seem to be greasy. But tonight it's a little "dirty" I guess, and now it itches... but I think that's because I'm getting a titch paranoid! When people do a CO-wash, do you end up using a lot of the conditioner? I find that I use quite a bit because I feel like as soon as I touch my head my curls suck up the conditioner and I have nothing left to apply to my scalp! Am I overdoing it?!

Sorry for all the questions... I'm kinda new to the CG and don't have the book! Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!!!

ps - Sorry for some repeat questions. I tried looking up keywords like chlorine and swimming but I couldn't really find much. So please be kind :happy4:
Type: 3b with a little 3a f/m mix, ii

A "Mrs." as of June 26, 2010 :love3:

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    leelee28 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I recently went totally CG and I love it. But this week I started a swimming routine, where 2-3 times a week I'll be swimming for exercise. After swimming today, I only CO-washed and then conditioned. But I was reading that chlorine can't be removed without poo...
    I do were a swim cap - today was just a lycra one, but I'm thinking of getting a silicone one to put over the lycra one for better protection!
    I read on a thread that doing an ACV wash once a week or so should help out. Many said that it wasn't necessary to poo after each swim... is that right?
    Also, how can I tell if I still have chemicals in my hair? Tonight, to me at least, my curls look rockin'! :thumbup: lol! (Would it be a good idea to invest in a sulfate-free poo for occassional pool-hair cleansing? I want to go totally no-poo... but is this going to be something I need to do anyways?)

The only thing I noticed was that I scratched my head and have a lot of white debris under my fingernails... does that mean I'm not washing it well enough? I really try to use my nails to "scrub" my head in the shower, and it doesn't seem to be greasy. But tonight it's a little "dirty" I guess, and now it itches... but I think that's because I'm getting a titch paranoid! When people do a CO-wash, do you end up using a lot of the conditioner? I find that I use quite a bit because I feel like as soon as I touch my head my curls suck up the conditioner and I have nothing left to apply to my scalp! Am I overdoing it?!

Sorry for all the questions... I'm kinda new to the CG and don't have the book! Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!!!

ps - Sorry for some repeat questions. I tried looking up keywords like chlorine and swimming but I couldn't really find much. So please be kind :happy4:

If you have a swim cap on, all the chlorine and chemicals in the pool shouldn't be a problem! So, in that case, a low poo wouldn't be necessary. Just as long as your hair is getting protected from the water, you should be fine. Even if you do get your hair wet in the pool once in a while, a lemon or ACV rinse should help you clean it all out.

If you have some white debris under your fingernails, I'd say you need to scrub a little harder. You might even want to pick up one of those scalp or shampoo brushes (the really cheap ones are $1 on Amazon).

Also, you shouldn't under any circumstances use your nails to scrub your scalp -- only the pads of your fingers. :) Scrubbing with your nails could actually be the cause of the debris, because it is probably damaging your skin and causing it to flake or be covered in that white stuff. So, before you get too worried about under-cleaning your scalp, just try CO-washing with your fingertips, and see if that helps.

The amount of conditioner varies completely from one curly head to the next. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but everyone's different. ;) You're not overdoing it unless your hair is greasy or coated-feeling. If your hair soaks up the conditioner that quickly, then by all means, use some more! You might even want to use a more moisturizing conditioner to wash your hair with, too, because your curls sound pretty thirsty.

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file