Shampoo says it is soap-free??

ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
I have a generic baby shampoo from Wal-mart that says it is soap-free. Here are the ingredients...is it true??

water, cocamidopropyl betaine, PEG-80 sorbitan laurate, sodium trideceth sulfate, PEG-150 distearate, fragrance, polyquaternium-10, tetrasodium EDTA, quaternium-15, citric acid, yellow 10, orange 4

I want to use this for my wavie girls if it is actually more mild than normal shampoos.
Thanks, I'm not good with the ingredients.
Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
Giovanni weightless leave-in
My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Comments

• curls 2nvcurls 2nv Registered Users Posts: 318
    Soap free is a new one lol. i guess it is but it does contain a sulfate if u are avoiding that as well
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    ththd wrote: »
    I have a generic baby shampoo from Wal-mart that says it is soap-free. Here are the ingredients...is it true??

water, cocamidopropyl betaine, PEG-80 sorbitan laurate, sodium trideceth sulfate, PEG-150 distearate, fragrance, polyquaternium-10, tetrasodium EDTA, quaternium-15, citric acid, yellow 10, orange 4

I want to use this for my wavie girls if it is actually more mild than normal shampoos.

I think this is definitely more mild than most shampoos. Is this the CVS version? If so, I have it. It can still be drying, but much less so than a regular shampoo.

As always, it always helps to dilute the shampoo before applying it to the scalp. For me, that makes any shampoo less harsh.

Hope that helps.
  • ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    Saila wrote: »

I think this is definitely more mild than most shampoos. Is this the CVS version? If so, I have it. It can still be drying, but much less so than a regular shampoo.

As always, it always helps to dilute the shampoo before applying it to the scalp. For me, that makes any shampoo less harsh.

Hope that helps.

Thank you ladies!
    It is for my daughters because it is a little too much to be CG with them. They are 5 and 10 and have wavy hair,I will try diluting it. It is the Equate brand from Wal-Mart. I only wash their hair every 2-3 days also.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, and sugar is fat free.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Too funny. That's a good one. :-)
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte

Uhhhhh, not to be nitpicking, but sugar is fat free from a chemical stand point. Of course, it is fattening, but that's different than actual fat molecules.

ETA: A shampoo claiming to be soap free is just silly though. (I'm assuming "soap" just means any detergent.)
    Saila wrote: »

Uhhhhh, not to be nitpicking, but sugar is fat free from a chemical stand point. Of course, it is fattening, but that's different than actual fat molecules.

ETA: A shampoo claiming to be soap free is just silly though. (I'm assuming "soap" just means any detergent.)

Yeah, I wish fat-free meant it was actually good for ya and wouldn't make your butt bigger...LOL.

As for the shampoo, that's what I figured is it is "detergent free'. It actually says "soap free" on the back label because it's claiming to be so gentle for babies.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Really, that was the point. Sugar is fat free, and that doesn't mean it isn't fattening, so the statement is true but misleading.

Likewise, soap free implies that the shampoo contains no harsh surfactants, when it actually contains detergent. It misdirects the consumer.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • moomoomoomoo Registered Users Posts: 15
    Likewise, soap free implies that the shampoo contains no harsh surfactants, when it actually contains detergent. It misdirects the consumer.

This. Pretty much every product that people consider to be 'soap' is actually a detergent. The only way you can get actual soap is to render a fat (everything from animal fat to olive oil will do, but despite Fight Club, human fat wouldn't actually make good soap :) It'd make soap, but not good soap!) with lye. The lye gets all used up in the chemical reaction and you're left with soap and glycerin. Sorry for the chemistry lesson -- I really like making soap :laughing8:

If you look at the baby shampoo, the sulfate is the detergent. It's lower on the list than most shampoos, so it's a gentler product. Bert's Bees makes a fragrance-free baby shampoo and wash, too, that I believe is free of sulfates, parabens, and a bunch of other things that I don't know what they do/are. This would definitely be more mild than regular shampoos, but someone else would have to tell you if it was CG-friendly 'cause I'm just learning. If you choose not to use the Johnson's product, but already purchased it, it's great for cleaning makeup brushes (my makeup class is the only reason I know a freakish amount about baby shampoos, considering I don't have babies to shampoo... )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file