Short cut possibilities? Please advise!

buffalobrunchbuffalobrunch Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi there!

New member here, and I am absolutely desperate for some advice.

I have always had long dark 3b hair in about the same shape that a lot of people seem to wear 3b - long, shoulder length or lower. It`s a very nice look, but I am just completely sick of it and have worn it for my whole life! A few months ago, my boyfriend put the idea of getting a short cut into my head, and now I want it so badly.

I booked a hair appointment and went to the salon - I was so nervous! But as soon as I said I wanted shoulder length or a little shorter , my stylist shook her head at me. Another girl in the salon even started shaking her head at me in the mirror - and then my hair dresser said simply that no, she wouldn't cut it that short. She said that the shorter curly hair gets, the more it tends to go out and I would regret it. So she gave me the same hair cut I have always had.

I was so disappointed. And I know that there is truth to what she said, but there HAS to be a way to avoid the whole horizontal curl thing.

Does anyone have any experience with going short - not pixie cut, but perhaps a little bit above the shoulder? I feel like I am trapped with the same look with my hair forever and it is really really making me hate being curly.

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I would suggest that if you want to go shorter, you do it in stages, nothing drastic, just enough to see a little difference each time. That way, if you get to the yucky point, it won't take you a L_O_N_G time to grow it out. It is seriously difficult to grow 3B hair out when it's been chopped off too short. IMO, it's almost all bad stages for me if my hair is cut much shorter than shoulder length. It was definitely a lot easier to grow out with Deva cuts, but I'm still a lot happier with my hair since it got to my shoulders. (Of course, that does vary with the amount of jump, and that's influenced a lot by dew point.)

One thing you might not be thinking about is that once it gets too short, you will lose the versatility of being able to put your hair up, and that really locks your style in.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You need to find a stylist who knows how to cut hair. Look on the salon reviews to see if someone recommends a stylist near you.

I've worn an inverted, curly bob for almost three years. I LOVE it. It's the first time in my adult life that I feel that my hair has a style (and I'm 59.) There are a lot of folks on here that wear curly bobs, here's a thread about them: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/70484-curly-bobs-unite-whats-like-about.html

As mentioned above, you can start a little above shoulder length and work your way up. As Morgan_Adcock said, you loose the ability to pull it up, etc. I wet and style everyday. My hair usually looks great, so wouldn't think of putting it up. Wouldn't want it any other way.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • buffalobrunchbuffalobrunch Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses - both good ideas. I agree that it will probably be best to go shorter in stages so I can see what I like and not get stuck.

Unfortunately, I live in a small town and really have access to no specialty salons or curly hair knowledgeable ones. The stylist I go to now does long curly hair great - but apparently she refuses to do anything else, which I was pretty shocked by. I really hope I can figure something out :) thanks again
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Have you seen the new Curly Girl book that came out in the last month?? They have it at CurlMart, Amazon, B & N, etc. On the cover is a curly model with "corkacelli" curls. Her hair is very similar to mine. The book has lots of curly girls in it--and some trimming instructions. I don't suggest that you cut your own hair, but maybe if you took some pictures of great, shorter curly cuts, she might be willing to do that.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file