CurlTalk

tangle teezer...why does it work?

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
i used the tangle teezer for the 1st time the other day. luv it!!! it worked so good. i was skeptical because the denman didn't work for me at all. i have a k cutter comb and it sort of worked but my hair sort spun around on it and would sometimes snag or pop. i was trying to do finger detangling but i still matted up a lot. anyway this thing works for my type 4 hair and it's affordable ($10) !!!

my question is WHY does it work? i think it's the short, close teeth and the technique of keeping it close to the hair from the base up! i hope it's not a fluke!

yeah tangle teezer :afro: i'm hoping for some major growth retention now that i can detangle easier!
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• NikG20NikG20 Posts: 461Registered Users
    Totally agree! I just posted a review on our blog. Love it! I'm shocked. I thought for sure it would rip hair out, lol. My almost 2 year old even let me brush his hair! :cheers:
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    yup , its the bomb , im going back for 2 more for backup
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    yup , its the bomb , im going back for 2 more for backup

do you feel like it works as good subsequent times as the first time? do you have less shed hair using this regularly?
    ive only used it twice, i know for a fact it took out less hair than my denman.

my twistouts have been fuller and bigger since using this thing. I swear its like magic

i hope it continues to work
  • tuuttietuuttie Posts: 84Registered Users
    Might have to go ahead and order this offline. I have checked both of the Sally's in my town and neither one of them carries this. :thumbdown:
    Last relaxer: June 16, 2009
    First and LAST texturizer: September 30, 2009 :angry4:

BC 1: September 30, 2009 (Horrible!)
    BC 2: November 10, 2009
    BC 3: November 24, 2009

Hair Type: :dontknow:

I AM A PRODUCT JUNKIE! :happy10:

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I think it's because the bristles have a lot of give, unlike a denman brush. My results with the TT are pretty similar to using my paddle brush. They live in hair harmony.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • poepoe Posts: 112Registered Users
    Has it cut down on anyone's detangling time at all?
  • nmsnms Posts: 134Registered Users
    Damn it. I give in. I'm buying this next week.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I just bought one at Sally's last week. Works really good for me on wet hair with conditioner and oil in my hair. I lose more hair than some ladies but my hair is very dense so I'm okay with it.

What I really love is that if I leave my hair loose it doesn't retangle as it dries like it does with my wide tooth combs and my denman.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
    it absolutely cut down on my detangling time. i'd have to move at a snails pace with my denman, but the tangle teazer literally goes through my hair like butter. never in my life has detangling been so easy or painless (and with so little hair lost). you should've seen the look of absolute shock when i first used it, i just could not believe it was actually working, and working so well. in fact, i look forward to detangling my hair now and that's one thing i never thought i'd say.
    3c/4a 100% natural:bunny:
    I :love8: Tahitian Monoi Oil.
    Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
    Conditioner Only Method.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeabella" class="Popup
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I plan on buying one soon, can't wait to try it.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com%2F" class="Popup

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • Kat718Kat718 Posts: 73Registered Users
    I'm will be trying it out. Although the detangling process isnt that long for me, I hate having to use a comb then a denman brush. I love simplicity and less is more to me.
  • dmarie21dmarie21 Posts: 213Registered Users
    The DMV area has cleaned Sally's out!!
    My Fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fdmarie21%2F" class="Popup
    Porocity: totally sinkable
    Texture: fine to med fine (stand size pic)
    Products I Like: Qhemet--Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm mixed with Burdock Root Cream, Vatika, apple cider vinegar rinse, Baba de Caracol, CON Argan shampoo
    Searching For: better understanding of what my hair is all about
  • rosscdrosscd Posts: 464Registered Users
    Yes I love my tangle teezer and I only used it once. First of all I detangled my head in 10 minutes; it normally takes 30-45 (so I want rip my hair out). My hair was really smooth afterwards and I had a lot less shed hair. I had been avoiding detangling for a while; so I new that I would have lots of shed hairs. But to my surprise it was pretty minimal. I plan on using once a week.... My wash n go is a lot easier because I can get product through my hair a lot more easily.
    4a Curly :icon_smile:

Been natural since Jan 09. BCing is my thing!! Love to keep a tight TWA!

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG
  • Truqueen01Truqueen01 Posts: 202Registered Users
    Another Tangle Teezer praiser here!! My hair is THICK & COARSE &..Im tenderheaded. No pain & detangling in half the time. I dont know why it works but sure glad it does.
  • LuckyGirlLuckyGirl Posts: 105Registered Users
    Oooh, I want one. I'm going to Sally's today!
    "Beauty is for everyone. All it takes is the decision to have it for yourself." - Shae Capri

"If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." - Gabor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users
    I am so going to get one of these this week! Question though: when you use it, do you start at the ends of your hair or at the roots? The TT website says you can start at the root, but the thought of that freaks me out!

Oh, and has anyone tried it on dry (moisturized, of course) hair? Just curious.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users
    I am so going to get one of these this week! Question though: when you use it, do you start at the ends of your hair or at the roots? The TT website says you can start at the root, but the thought of that freaks me out!

I have. I havent even used it on wet conditioner laden hair yet. And I love it!!:blob:
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users

I did, and I didn't like it because my hair poofs out anytime I try to dry comb/brush it. I slathered on a water based moisturizer to make my hair damp and it was better.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    poe wrote: »
    Has it cut down on anyone's detangling time at all?

yes! and it doesn't hurt and it gets the hair balls out! it's really like magic (ok i'm being dramatic) but seriously. this is big for me! if you already have something that works well this might not be a big deal but i was trying to do fingers only and this is hands down the best tool i've found for my hair!
    Question though: when you use it, do you start at the ends of your hair or at the roots? The TT website says you can start at the root, but the thought of that freaks me out!

i start from the ends!! they also have a blond, straight hair white woman in the little mini booklet, i figure that method might work for their hair. i know we have to start with the ends. by the time you work the ends the parts closer to the roots area breeze.

i used it on damp hair that had a creamy moisturizer. i'm not sure i'd use it on dry hair. everything i've read for "us" is don't comb dry hair. this is sorta like a comb so that was my logic.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    hum...I'm going to keep an eye on this. My issue is that I can detangle in the shower with conditioner and my paddle brush like a breeze but I'm a heavy shedder so I loose a lot of hair naturally. I'm not sure if this is going to make that much of a difference since I shed so much, but it might make getting those dayum little balls out. I'm on the fence about purchasing right now.

My question: for folks that are heavy shedders, does it make that much of a differnce? For folks that get knots and balls at the ends of thier hair, does it make removing the balls/knots easier?
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Truqueen01Truqueen01 Posts: 202Registered Users
    hum...I'm going to keep an eye on this. My issue is that I can detangle in the shower with conditioner and my paddle brush like a breeze but I'm a heavy shedder so I loose a lot of hair naturally. I'm not sure if this is going to make that much of a difference since I shed so much, but it might make getting those dayum little balls out. I'm on the fence about purchasing right now.

My question: for folks that are heavy shedders, does it make that much of a differnce? For folks that get knots and balls at the ends of thier hair, does it make removing the balls/knots easier?

Im a heavy shedder as well & this removed all of the excess VERY well. Im sure of this b/c I collect all my shed hair in a little ball to see how much Ive gotten out (IK..gross). With the Tangle Teezer, it was much better than with anything else Ive tried. The paddle brush was a no go for me. It snagged my strands too bad even with my hair wet & soaked with conditioner.
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    A hairdresser used this on me before a long time ago and I didn't realize it was suppose to be like Jesus hand detangling your hair himself! I would have brought stock in it back then lol.

I may have to go get it now.
  • nikkidanniellnikkidanniell Posts: 235Registered Users
    I Just called the Sally store by my job and they're in stock... headed there after work to buy one...

P.S. I hate you all for enabling me
    P.S.S. Juuuuust Kidding :love5:
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    I love love love this thing, Detangling is sooo much easier and I don't feel like its ripping my hair out unlike the devil denman lol, Im gonna buy a few more for back up and a giveaway on my channel
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• dmarie21dmarie21 Posts: 213Registered Users
    I got it. Five stores were sold out. My steamer arrives tomorrow so I'll be trying both out. Woo-hoo! I guess...
    My Fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fdmarie21%2F" class="Popup
    Porocity: totally sinkable
    Texture: fine to med fine (stand size pic)
    Products I Like: Qhemet--Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm mixed with Burdock Root Cream, Vatika, apple cider vinegar rinse, Baba de Caracol, CON Argan shampoo
    Searching For: better understanding of what my hair is all about
    yup lola , im doing a valentines day giveaway on my blog and this will be included, gotta share the wealth

this is a great tool
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I bought this back in September and prefer to any other comb or brush I've tried. It doesn't pull or rip my hair. My only complaint is I can't really get close to my scalp but I'm a lazy detangler anyways. I really should be detangling by sections.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users
    curlylcp wrote: »
    A hairdresser used this on me before a long time ago and I didn't realize it was suppose to be like Jesus hand detangling your hair himself! I would have brought stock in it back then lol.

I may have to go get it now.

***DEAD***
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    so i'm guessing it's not hard to hold? i've been reluctant to buy this b/c i normally like my tools to have handles but the way everyone's raving i think i'll have to give it a shot.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem