Soon-to-be CG~ Product recs?

Hi~ I've been learning about the CG method for about a month now, and I'm eager to try it. I just can't decide what to buy. I'm not ready to splurge on products yet, but I do have my eye on DevaCurl, CurlJunkie, and Jessicurl trial bottles.

Hair info: Fine to medium texture, medium density, normal elasticity... still on the fence about porosity, though. Oh, and it's shoulder length and layered into a shag style.

Another important detail.. I live in the Caribbean, so my hair tends to frizz, especially on the second day. Dew point today is [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]69.1 F (20.6 C), just for reference. So please, no humectants; ever since I read about them, I've been avoiding them like the plague!

I'm looking for a low-poo, conditioner, deep treatment, and styling products (yes, pretty much everything!)

I was thinking of buying Hair One (Wen imitation), since I can get it at Sally's. What do you think?
[/FONT]
2b-f/m-ii
Porosity: ??
Elasticity: Normal

It's not easy being a fine-haired wavy in tropical conditions~
Suggest products with anti-humectants? <3

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I don't know the Wen knock offs, but I do know that the Wen products are laden with cones.

I've never tried any CurlJunkie products, but I have used, and still use Deva and Jessicurl products.

I didn't get the Deva trial pack, but eventually tried all of the products in it, and I think of all those, AnGEL is the only one I use, but I also use LoPoo, B'Leave In, ArcAngel, and Set Me Up. Ones I didn't get on with are NoPoo, OneCondition, Set It Free, and Set Up & Above (the successor to Set Me Up); the first two of which now have new formulas I haven't tried. Unfortunately, few of the products are available in travel size bottles.

All Jessicurl products, OTOH, are available in travel size packaging, and you can also get trial packs geared to different hair qualities, or trying everything. I love their sulfate free cleansers, Aloeba Conditioner and the Weekly Deep Treatment! I also love the styling products, but prefer making my own flaxseed gel, as I can individualize it to my own preferences (and it's cheap, cheap, cheap!).

One product that Sally's carries, which would probably be good for you to try, since your hair is fine to medium, and some protein would be good for it is the Neutral Protein Filler. When my hair seems to get wispy, wimpy, limp, and lighter than air, I add just a few drops to my conditioner or deep treatment, and it seems to perk up. I've been working on the same little bottle for about two and a half years, and it cost me less than $2. It sure beat raw egg running down my neck and into my eyes and ears!

Another great bargain is VO5 or Suave Naturals (their other lines aren't cone free) conditioners to use as sulfate free cleansers.

I also recommend getting some (whole) flaxseeds and epsom salts to try making your own flaxseed gel. If you have those, a cone free gel is no further away than your kitchen.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Tropical WavesTropical Waves Registered Users Posts: 12
    I see, then Hair One probably isn't any good since it's supposed to contain the same ingredients :o

Thanks for all the product recommendations~ I'm definitely going to pick the protein treatment up at Sally's. And I think I have epsom salts.. I have no idea what flaxseeds are, but I'll check.

From all the posts around here I definitely see that v05 and Suave Naturals are the drugstore favorites, but I'm still skeptical about how my hair will react to just conditioner. Even if I try it out later, I'd rather ease my hair into it with mild cleansers...

With that said, thoughts on Burt's Bees? I know where to get those, at least. Or, of course, if you know any low poos that I can find around.
    2b-f/m-ii

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I used Burt's Bees shampoo for my first low-poo, and found it extremely harsh. I think I've used it all of three times. Fortunately, I found a local salon which carries Deva products, and got the DevaCurl LoPoo during my first week of CGing, and that remains one of my favorite low-poos.

In over two and a half years, I've probably used no more than half a bottle of low-poo, counting all the different ones I've tried. (When I first started this journey, I had such immediate success that I was a little afraid that something even better could be out there. Fortunately, I've reformed my product junkie ways.) I may have a lifetime supply.

Conditioners actually contain mild surfactants (the agents in shampoos which provide the cleansing action), and can be amazingly effective for washing your hair. I had been washing my hair at least daily, so when I started, I had reservations about how well co-washing would cut through the grease, so I planned to low-poo for starters, then work a co-wash in as I could. I did coat my hair with conditioner, and concentrate on cleaning my scalp when I low-pooed, and I immediately followed each low-poo with a co-wash, hoping to give my scalp the message that it could stop pumping out huge quantities of oil. I was really shocked at how quickly I was able to go to low-pooing every other time, then every third, etc.

Initially, I always used one of the Suave Natural Conditioners as my co-wash. More recently, I usually co-wash with VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner, which I find almost as effective as a low-poo. I've started using low-poo (on my scalp only) more often recently, as I find it mixes well with gel for washing my hair -- a trick which helps give me more root lift, which I found in the new (second) edition of Curly Girl. I borrowed that from the wavy section, and since it works well for my super fine hair, I've been continuing to use it.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Okay, that's incredibly helpful. I can't believe I almost spent around $10 on a shampoo that may have been too harsh when I could have gone for Curlmart low poos for just a bit more.. I think I'll just invest in one of those and give co-washing with Kiwi Lime a try too =]
    2b-f/m-ii

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Just as a side note, I find that the Kiwi Lime gives me major grease and some scalp flaking (since my scalp is sensitive to chemicals). I prefer the Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner. So far, besides some itch (I'm hoping that doesn't last for too long!), I'm loving it, and it cleanses better than the VO5 did. I don't have any leftover grease! Everyone has their personal preference, though! My main point is that you should try a few things out if one doesn't work the way you'd like it to.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Thanks for the tip. I was at the supermarket today and though I saw Kiwi Lime, I bought Vanilla Mint cuz I just love vanilla scents xD;
    Btw, I see you use Organix, I was thinking of getting that as my low poo.
    2b-f/m-ii

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Yup! I'm not sure how I like the Organix, though. The Shea Butter one that I have has a scent that's literally to DIE for! But, if I don't rinse it out really, really well (and even then, remnants of the feeling are still there), I feel like the top of my hair (where I shampoo) is coated in a wax or something greasy. I'm also not loving what it does to my sensitive scalp -- it makes me itchy and a little flaky. Strangely enough, I kinda like it, though. Even though it also has protein, which apparently I'm somewhat sensitive to, it's one of those things that you're not super crazy about but you love and can't get rid of, if you know what I mean! I will probably try another one of their shampoos, just to give them a second chance. I'm looking into the Tea Tree Mint one -- it's supposed to be great for dry, itchy scalps! :)

I like Vanilla scents, also! If only Suave had a vanilla-scented CO-wash. I want to try the strawberry one next -- I want to know which ones I'm sensitive to, if not all of them.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Hmm, I seriously thought I had replied ages ago. I must've not hit send and closed the tab or something o.o;

I'll have to reconsider Organix then.. I get flaking from product build-up pretty easily. It's so hard to find a good, inexpensive low-poo! I wish I could just go completely CG, but I love what my Matrix Curl.Life contouring milk does for my hair. It has dimethicone in it, though..
    2b-f/m-ii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file