Winter substitute for honey?

AjíAjí Posts: 6Registered Users
hope this is is the right place!

anyway, I've recently gone CG... I've been sulfate and cone free for a little over a month now! :D And it's awsome. My hair still has dry spots that I am trying to work with but it's been literally the best hair of my life.

A key part of my routine has been a honey-water rinse that I leave in which gives me great curl definition... but I just learned that in dry weather humectants will rob your hair of moisture 8(

So, is there anything I can use that will give my hair definition but not dry it out in this below 0°F weather? If possible, I like natural stuff; stuff I can buy at a grocery store since I understand just what's in it and it's generally cheaper.

Thanks!
3a, 3b, 3c hair // medium texture, with coarse & fine parts // medium porosity?? Can't really tell! D:

Variety, woohoo!

Comments

• champion887champion887 Banned Posts: 18Banned Users
    I really don't know of any alternatives, but I'm not sure I buy that about honey being drying in winter. I always apply a dab of honey to my conditioner and have been doing this for years. I also use it for hennaing and deep conditioning treatments. Honey is a great natural moisturizer. I've never left it in my hair though so I'm not sure on that - you could try molasses, though. It's a good alternative for those that don't want lightening effects from honey.
  • AjíAjí Posts: 6Registered Users
    hmm, well the other day I went out and when I got to where I was going, I had this HUGE patch of frizz on the left side of my head. It's been incredibly cold and windy here, and my hair dries sloooow so it's usually still a bit damp when I go out unforunately. I think the worst factor is the wind... but if humectants are contributing, I want to cut those out at least until the weather settles down a bit, haha. At least I can control what goes in my hair, if not the weather.

I think most people can get away with honey if it gets rinsed out, which I will probably try, but leaving it in is what gives me that nice hold :D

Thanks for the tip on mollasses! I think it's the same thing when it comes to winter, but I might switch when I run out of honey. I like my blackkkkk hair C:
    3a, 3b, 3c hair // medium texture, with coarse & fine parts // medium porosity?? Can't really tell! D:

Variety, woohoo!
  • Curlymommy3bCurlymommy3b Posts: 20Registered Users
    I just started using olive oil as a deep conditioning treatment and I have noticed how moisturized my curls have been! I also get 3rd and 4th day curls these days too which is awesome :love5:

I used honey since the summer, but wanted a deep treatment. Olive oil has worked wonders in my hair.
    Curl type: 3b
    Growing out my hair
    Co-Wash: Anything from Suave Naturals
    Rinse Out: Tresemme No-Silicone
    Leave-in: Tresseme No-Silicone
    Styling: KCCC
    Deep Treatment: Olive Oil :love5:
  • AjíAjí Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks! I'll try olive oil again... I was nervous because I have a patch of thin hair and I don't want things to get too greasy there, or on my scalp... but I had done some treatments with warm olive oil before I clarified recently... and my hair looked a lot better then, I think that might be the missing variable. Today it might as well be frizzfest 2011 D:

Variety, woohoo!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file