advice from experienced DIY-ers?

Hey ladies,

So I have been reading this board and I decided to buy my own keratin and do it myself! I bought the QOD gold, but I forgot to blowdry my hair after I washed it. I put the treatment in when my hair was moist. Also, I don't think I put enough... no fumes coming out of my hair!

Should I just redo it again next week or will I be okay?

Thanks!

Em

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    Hey ladies,

So I have been reading this board and I decided to buy my own keratin and do it myself! I bought the QOD gold, but I forgot to blowdry my hair after I washed it. I put the treatment in when my hair was moist. Also, I don't think I put enough... no fumes coming out of my hair!

Should I just redo it again next week or will I be okay?

Thanks!

Em

Wait and see how it comes out. I personally have no experience with this particular situation. Too bad keratin4u, a QOD distributor, isn't around more to answer some of these questions.

What do you mean by "no fumes coming out of my hair"? When? Now that it's dry?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • alternativerockstaralternativerockstar Registered Users Posts: 4
    Hey,

Thanks for replying! I meant that there were no fumes when I was straightening my hair with my flat iron. It's still completely straight but I don't feel like there is any residue or anything like that... I'm going to wash it out tomorrow and see how that goes.

Does anyone know if it's safe enough to redo again a week after?

Thanks everyone!
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    Hey,

Thanks for replying! I meant that there were no fumes when I was straightening my hair with my flat iron. It's still completely straight but I don't feel like there is any residue or anything like that... I'm going to wash it out tomorrow and see how that goes.

Does anyone know if it's safe enough to redo again a week after?

Thanks everyone!

I really should get a moderator to sticky my old thread because it would answer so many of the questions that keep coming up! There are no detectable fumes during the flat-ironing stage--just lots of "smoke." There isn't much of a feeling of residue because supposedly the nanoparticles of gold help the solution penetrate the hair shaft better than the previous formulas--that's the draw for the Gold formula, so you won't feel that product-y residue feeling you get from, say, the Max formula. I use quite a bit of keratin when I do an application, and even though my baby fine hair is easily weighed down, I still don't notice any residue or heavy feeling.

Yes, it's totally safe--at least for your hair, that is--to redo that soon. That's the only way I got my tight 4a/3c curls to relax sufficiently initially. The tighter the curls, the more frequently you need to re-apply until the desire curl pattern is reached. I can't speak to the issue of health risks of repeated frequent exposures to the formaldehyde in the keratin--and, yes, it's in there even though it's not listed in the ingredient list. I've been doing it about once a month for over a year, and I don't notice any ill-effects...yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • alternativerockstaralternativerockstar Registered Users Posts: 4
    I tried it again and it didn't work... Seriously frustrating considering how long it takes to do! I'm using an avanti straightener that gets up to 410 degrees fahrenheit... is that the problem? I feel like it's hot enough. I already paid 400 dollars for the keratin (with shipping) and seriously don't want to pay 200 more for a new straightener. Does anyone have any other tips? Thanks!
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    1. What is your hair texture
    2. What brand did you use
    3. You need a flat iron that goes to 450 degrees
    4. What was your step by step technique?
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file