Started today!

X-posted with my intro post in the newbie section.

Ok, so I started today!

I did my last shampoo wash, then a short co-wash with Suave Naturals (cherry blossom!)- mostly I wanted to know what it felt like without bubbles... :blush: I know. Then I put lots of conditioner in, let sit while I washed my body, rinsed (cold) out most of the conditioner...

here is where I got confused. I went ahead and put a little more conditioner in my hair before getting out. I wasn't sure if I was
1- not supposed to rinse
2- rinse and put more in
3- rinse only a little..

??

Anyways, then got out, blot dried, put Suave gel in. I did the scrunching.

So, now I'm drying. Let's see how I look!

Comments

• kristie911kristie911 Registered Users Posts: 154
    here is where I got confused. I went ahead and put a little more conditioner in my hair before getting out. I wasn't sure if I was
    1- not supposed to rinse
    2- rinse and put more in
    3- rinse only a little..

You might need to experiment a little bit. I prefer to rinse out and then add some back in or use a leave in once I'm out of the shower (I love CJ leave-in!). If your hair is very dry you may just rinse a little bit or even not at all. Now that my hair is in good condition, I need a lot less conditioner.

Try a couple of different techniques and see what works best for you!

ETA: don't get discouraged if you're a little greasy at first...my first week was pretty bad but now I'm nearly 6 months no poo and my hair is amazing!
    3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

No Poo and loving it! Gave up my hair dryer and never looked back!

Favorite Condishs: Suave Naturals (cowash) or TRESemme Naturals
    Leave-In: CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or KCKT
    Curl Creme: AG re:coil or SS Hair Butter
    Gel: HETT, GF Gel

Product Junkie...Swap board addict!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Until the new edition of Curly Girl came out, I would put conditioner in my hair, take care of the rest of my shower needs, then rinse the conditioner out. After scrunching water out of my hair with my bare hands, I'd add a bit of conditioner back in (the smallest amount of Giovanni Direct Leave In that would come out of the bottle, and mix in about the same amount of A|G re:coil before applying it).

Since the new book came out, I've been doing the sprinkle rinse, which essentially leaves all the conditioner on my hair. I was concerned that this would really weigh down my super baby fine hair, but have been amazed to find that my curls are more robust. It's counter-intuitive, but it works well for me.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • swell28swell28 Registered Users Posts: 52
    I just started too!! I got a "trial" kit of DevaCurl No-Poo, One Condition, AnGel, and Set it Free. I'm so excited!! (After seeing all the before & after pictures on a thread I was so pumped)

My hair is really limp lifeless waves (literally 0 spring factor) so I hope that this makes my hair curlier like it did in some of the pictures.

Good luck to you!!
    Someone help me make my hair look like Merida from Brave that's all I want.
  • mesuemesue Registered Users Posts: 244 Curl Neophyte
    Describe "sprinkle rinse" please!
    Sue

Axed the perpetual ponytail and went curly on 1/6/2011.
    Hair Properties: 3a/b, fine-medium texture, thick density, normal porosity.
    Still experimenting with products and routine.
    So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
  • Bridal.WreathBridal.Wreath Registered Users Posts: 65
    Good luck! I hope to start mine soon as well.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
    Sprinkle rinses are not done under the faucet. Instead, you cup your hands under the water flow, then, when they're full, you position your hands over your hair, and open them, or just toss the water over your head. You do this twice, which has the effect of sprinkling water over your hair. Almost all of the conditioner stays on your hair, but be careful of your footing after doing this.

My hair is ridiculously fine. I can't always see individual hairs. Prior to going CG, I thought that any amount of conditioner weighed it down and overwhelmed it. Now that I don't have a silicone coating on my hair, it does sink in. However, I thought sprinkle rinsing would be too much for my hair. Still, intellectual honesty wouldn't allow me to say that's what it did if I didn't try it.

You could have pushed me over with a feather. My hair doesn't get weighed down when I sprinkle rinse. I'm sure a lot of the conditioner ends up on the towel with which I scrunch dry my hair after my shower, but it certainly doesn't absorb all of it. The really odd thing for me is that my curls are much more robust than they were before. I can dispense with pineappling (because it's chillier), just sweep my hair upward so I'm not lying on it when I go to bed, toss and turn all night, and wake up with hair that's reasonably easy to repair with finger dampening, and scrunching.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • swell28swell28 Registered Users Posts: 52
    Morgan, when you say your "baby fine curls are more robust" do you mean they are tighter or bouncier or just all around better? Haha I mean who doesn't love robust curls?!

I started CG last week and I'm not getting great results... my hair always looks like curly hair just stretched out straight and not tightly coiled or bouncy or robust... do you think "sprinkle rinsing" will help me or hurt?
    Someone help me make my hair look like Merida from Brave that's all I want.
  • Bridal.WreathBridal.Wreath Registered Users Posts: 65
    swell28 wrote: »
    Morgan, when you say your "baby fine curls are more robust" do you mean they are tighter or bouncier or just all around better? Haha I mean who doesn't love robust curls?!

I started CG last week and I'm not getting great results... my hair always looks like curly hair just stretched out straight and not tightly coiled or bouncy or robust... do you think "sprinkle rinsing" will help me or hurt?

I don't think it would hurt to try. Might actually help your hair, especially if it is dry.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
    Sorry I'm a bit behind at reading messages.

When I say that my curls are more robust when I do the sprinkle rinse, I mean that my hair keeps its curl better, especially noticeably overnight. As a result, I don't find that I need to do as much to repair it in the morning, even if I don't put it in high pigtails or a pineapple (which can be chilly in winter).

Like many curly girls, my hair was always prone to developing weird bends and flat spots overnight. Once the hair care industry decided we wanted to seal every bit of moisture out of our hair because we allegedly all hated our curls, they started adding silicones to every hair product they could think of, and it became impossible to repair in the morning, short of rewashing it, which isn't always possible when work starts at 7 am (and as a nurse I prefer showering after work).

Once I went CG, I found that I could get my curls to reassert themselves in those spots: not well at first, but I got better at it with time. After all, what did I have to lose by trying? A slightly delayed second shower in 24 hours, which can be very drying for my skin.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file