Mixed Chicks Twitter Fail

itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Registered Users Posts: 1,084 Curl Neophyte
http://bglhonline.com/2011/01/mixed-chicks-supports-team-light-skin-on-twitter-experiences-fallout/comment-page-1/#comments

Over dramatization? Self hatred? Slow news day?

DISCUSS.

...Well, you know. If you want to.
tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL

Comments

• Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Registered Users Posts: 448
    http://bglhonline.com/2011/01/mixed-chicks-supports-team-light-skin-on-twitter-experiences-fallout/comment-page-1/#comments

Over dramatization? Self hatred? Slow news day?

DISCUSS.

...Well, you know. If you want to.

Smh :disgust: :banghead:angry9: :cwm10: :thumbdown: :angry7:

It's funny though that people still have this mindset in the year 2011 :laughing5: I really thought we would have progressed a lot more but, apparently not. It's so ignorant that it really only makes sense to laugh it off shake it off and ignore it.
  • LuckyGirlLuckyGirl Registered Users Posts: 105
    Why doesn't this surprise me? Lawdhammercy, colorism in the 21st century.

They deserve the response they received.

Way to loose customers and make themselves look foolish in the process.
    "Beauty is for everyone. All it takes is the decision to have it for yourself." - Shae Capri

"If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." - Gabor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    Yeah, I remember when these dudes (black of course) tried to host a "light skinned ladies get in free" party in Detroit, and as usual black women had to rise up and shut it down. Sometimes I''m ashamed of my people. We still haven't moved past this thing.

As professional business owners, Mixed Chicks should have stayed out of the mess. They had no business in any of it...again, as professionals. The potential to offend? A blind man would have seen that coming. Those women are old enough to know better.

I don't use their products. Never felt the desire to try them. I don't care for their philosophy, and this garbage just adds to my lack of enthusiasm.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    Isn't there already a thread about this?

Anyways, I tend to ignore these people in addition to not using their products. Seems like they are looking for attention even if it's negative. Don't give it to them.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Not do I not understand the point of the tweet, I think somebody needs to break it to TO's ex-girlfriend that she ain't even light skinned.:pukel::confused2::protest:
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Registered Users Posts: 1,084 Curl Neophyte
    I didn't know if there was a thread or not; my bad. :crybaby:

I just saw it and did a quick :sad3: The emphasis that is put on skin color still is ridiculous. I wonder if they realize that a good majority of their consumers are women who aren't/don't even consider themselves mixed. And most "mixed chicks" I know (including myself) wouldn't use this mess if someone paid us.

STUPID. :angry2:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    go jets!!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Seriously though, this isn't the first time they've gotten involved in the color controversy. I think they're doing it on purpose now.
    adthomas wrote: »
    Not do I not understand the point of the tweet, I think somebody needs to break it to TO's ex-girlfriend that she ain't even light skinned.:pukel::confused2::protest:
    You mean the brown-skinned "mixed chick?" She was TO's publicist not his GF. But you're right, she's not even light.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • *SweetThang**SweetThang* Registered Users Posts: 13
    SMH! That this kind of mess is still going on in 2011. My people, my people! We have been free since 1865 but many of us are still stuck on the plantation with this light skinned/dark skinned mess.

I've never tried Mixed Chicks products and after this Twitter incident, I'm for damn sure will not purchase their products. I hear on the blogs that a lot of people say they are going to write to Mixed Chicks and file a complaint. Complaining is just a waste of time and with the mentality of Mixed Chicks, they may feel we are hating on them. I think the best way to protest is to hit them in the pocket books and not buy their products.
    "I Love My Hair"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enpFde5rgmw

"Sesame Street v. Willow Smith Remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AVd8El-QY

Last Relaxer: August 2009
    Hair: 4a/3c
    Pre Poo: Coconut Oil
    Shampoo: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals or Honey Suckle Rose
    Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    Detangler: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Leave In: Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner
    Styling Aid: Darcy Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream
    Sealer: Jojoba Oil
  • *SweetThang**SweetThang* Registered Users Posts: 13
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Seriously though, this isn't the first time they've gotten involved in the color controversy. I think they're doing it on purpose now.
    You mean the brown-skinned "mixed chick?" She was TO's publicist not his GF. But you're right, she's not even light.

Yeah! She wouldn't be mistaken for anything else but black. She looks like one of those people who says they are mixed because they have a great, great, great, great grandfather who was Irish or a great, great, great, grandmother who was an Indian princess or something.
    "I Love My Hair"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enpFde5rgmw

"Sesame Street v. Willow Smith Remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AVd8El-QY

Last Relaxer: August 2009
    Hair: 4a/3c
    Pre Poo: Coconut Oil
    Shampoo: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals or Honey Suckle Rose
    Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    Detangler: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Leave In: Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner
    Styling Aid: Darcy Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream
    Sealer: Jojoba Oil
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    i heard about this and the messed up part was that i wasn't even surprised. in the words of elle, i can't do it with these heauxs (sp).

what did TO's publicist say? was it kita? is she claiming to be a "mixed chick"? doesn't she wear a wig anyway?
  • kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    i'm just surprised the mixed chicks owners were dumb enough to get involved in this light skin vs. dark skin nonsense. anyone with even just a vague knowledge of american history should have known it was a bad idea.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

subbrock wrote: »
    i heard about this and the messed up part was that i wasn't even surprised. in the words of elle, i can't do it with these heauxs (sp).

what did TO's publicist say? was it kita? is she claiming to be a "mixed chick"? doesn't she wear a wig anyway?
    Kim Etheridge was TO's publicist. When he made his suicide attempt, she said he had "25 million reasons not to kill himself." IOW, he's too rich to kill himself. Um, OK. Rich people commit suicide too. It was tacky, but not dismissal-worthy IMO. Whatevs...

Who's Kita?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Kim Etheridge was TO's publicist. When he made his suicide attempt, she said he had "25 million reasons not to kill himself." IOW, he's too rich to kill himself. Um, OK. Rich people commit suicide too. It was tacky, but not dismissal-worthy IMO. Whatevs...

Who's Kita?

holy crap. i didn't realize TO's ex-publicist was one of the founders of mixed chicks. she's a terrible publicist. that might explain this whole light skinned snafu.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

:laughing3:
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212

Who's Kita?

ahh, okay. kita is one of his current publicists. dang, so they have a history of saying stupid things.
  • moodydovemoodydove Registered Users Posts: 1,721

Yeah! She wouldn't be mistaken for anything else but black. She looks like one of those people who says they are mixed because they have a great, great, great, great grandfather who was Irish or a great, great, great, grandmother who was an Indian princess or something.

One of my friends does both of these things, going "I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I'm mixed". Lol, I've ranted about her before. As an Indian, I have to refrain from :roll: and asking her which tribe this "princess" was from, seeing as royalty doesn't exist in any of the ones I know of. Anyway, did MixedChicks apologize?
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
    moodydove wrote: »

One of my friends does both of these things, going "I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I'm mixed". Lol, I've ranted about her before. As an Indian, I have to refrain from :roll: and asking her which tribe this "princess" was from, seeing as royalty doesn't exist in any of the ones I know of. Anyway, did MixedChicks apologize?
    Ditto. I'm part Algonquian and I've never heard of no Indian royalty mess.

And In one of their tweets they apologized, but it was more of a we-don't-see-what-we-did-wrong type of thing, so not really.
    :ncool:
    moodydove wrote: »

as far as i can tell, they kind of backtracked but never apologized.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

-- Gloria Steinem

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file