Possible to perm straightened hair?

GiveMeABMWGiveMeABMW Registered Users Posts: 219
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully permed their relaxed or thermally reconditioned hair. I had the latter done, my hair is very healthy from months of abstaining from heat styling and deep conditioning. Would a curly perm take to my hair? Would it make it fall out/break?
What's working this week:
Shower: Garnier 3x Nutrition shampoo 1x per week, cowash with Tres Semme Naturals, condition with
GF Sleek and Shine deep conditioner
Styling: Tres Semme Naturals as leave in, L'Oreal Melting gel and HE SMU raked in, LOOB and AG Re:Coil scrunched in, Jojoba Oil scrunched in when totally dry
:toothy4: 3B

Comments

• dsg-girlycurlydsg-girlycurly Registered Users Posts: 343
    Hi GiveMeABMW:

I don't think that a curly perm (or texturizer) will take to relaxed/permed hair. It may or may not cause it to break off depending on your hair (I think chemicals that alter the texture of your hair are dangerous and should be avoided).

If you are looking for a curly look you may need to cut the relaxed/straight ends off and texturize or use the curly perm on new growth for the full curly look effect.

Have you tried to do a wash n go on her natural hair?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4A&B -- Henna and the entire Essential Balms product line; lately Carol's Daughter honey mimosa & black vanilla leave-in. Staple products are SheaMoisture, Aubrey Organics and Trader Joes Norish Spa conditioner, ACV and IC Fantasia Gel. I'm also Mixtress (I love making my own hair concoctions :glasses9:)

Be encouraged -- Cuzz Fuzz is what it Duzz!!

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/dsg373839/
  • x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Registered Users Posts: 432 Curl Neophyte
    When I was younger, I wanted loose curly hair. I would chemically straighten it and then perm over it. I did it all in one day at the salon. This was in the late 90's, and we used Wave Nouveau products...are they still around?

I did it for a couple of years and then one day a hair dresser ( a new one) said my hair looked very damaged. I didn't really notice anything except that my hair fell out a lot and it was dry looking.
    3C/4A and too long to handle (and afford!)
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    I was curious about this 2 years ago. My aunt and mother in law are both cosmetologists. They both said the same thing. NO! Don't do that, it'll damage your hair badly! They told me that I couldn't get a curly perm/texturizer on relaxed hair. They said that the only way I could get one is if I cut my hair off and start with virgin hair, or if I stop getting relaxers and just grow it out -slowly clipping the relaxed ends.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • raincldraincld Registered Users Posts: 14
    Actually, I did just this about 3 1/2 weeks ago. My hair had been straightened in January of 06 and again June of 06. Early January of 07, I decided I was sick of straight and wanted to grow out the natural 3a curls again. I am not one to have patience so I convinced my stylist to perm it.

In order to convince her I had to promise to only use professional grade products and not use the hair dryer for 3 weeks after the perm. This weekend we took off about 2 inches in length to get rid of the ends and the rest of my hair is still reasonably healthy. Not where it was before I started chemical treatments, but not fried.

Had I read the Curly Girl book prior to the perm, I'm not sure I would have done it, but in hind site, I don't regret it. The key has been put as much moisture in my hair as I can and be extra careful as my hair is still very fragile, but it is recovering.
  • GiveMeABMWGiveMeABMW Registered Users Posts: 219
    Did you perm all of your hair, or just the chemically treated parts? Did any fall out afterwards? How about breakage?
    Shower: Garnier 3x Nutrition shampoo 1x per week, cowash with Tres Semme Naturals, condition with
    Styling: Tres Semme Naturals as leave in, L'Oreal Melting gel and HE SMU raked in, LOOB and AG Re:Coil scrunched in, Jojoba Oil scrunched in when totally dry
    GiveMeABMW wrote:
    Did you perm all of your hair, or just the chemically treated parts? Did any fall out afterwards? How about breakage?

I permed all of it. I haven't had any breakage, as to falling out, no more than I had from straightening it in the first place. I don't want to suggest that anybody go the route that I did, because I would feel bad if it didn't work for your hair, but I can tell you that mine survived it.

I have used the same stylist for the last 5 years or so and she and I discuss my hairs health as well as the style we are going for. I would never have trusted anybody other than her to put chemicals in my hair as it could just as easily have ended badly. We actually delayed the perm for about a month before hand to try to get my head as healthy as possible before doing it and then as I said previously we focused on hair health not fashion for the first 3 weeks or so after the perm.
  • GiveMeABMWGiveMeABMW Registered Users Posts: 219
    Are you by any chance located in NY? It sounds too good to be true to be able to have curly hair again without cutting off a huge chunk of it.
    No, I am in SC. Sorry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file