CurlTalk

Coconut Oil

blu_gtar87blu_gtar87 Posts: 47Registered Users
Where can i purchase some natural coconut oil? i've gone to the grocery stores and just couldnt find any. The only jars i've seen are online. Anyone know anywhere else i can look?
Check out my blog: kinkycurlypixie.blogspot.com
or search me on youtube: blugtar87

Phone cord curls (dont know what type). Looser in the front and on top (maybe from heat damage?:-|)

Happy to say that I am CG! :love7:

Currently using:
Teressentials Mud Wash. (As my cleanser and conditioner)
Giovanni's Direct Leave-In.
Castor oil
Ecco styler gel

Comments

• Lemon PoundcakeLemon Poundcake Posts: 22Registered Users
    Whole Foods carries coconut oil (unrefined). Probably any organic or all-natural grocery store would carry it.
    2B/Coarse/Fine but plentiful/cut in an inverted bob

Wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle or Nourish
    Conditioner: GVP Balm (love!!)
    Leave-in: Still looking for my HG!
    Style: When I wear it curly (KKCC, MOPC Curling Custard, HESMU), when I wear it straight (Crisco)

Second (or third!) day hair is my goal when I wear it curly. I often look like I did my hair with an egg beater on Day 2.
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I found it in a bunch of different places, mostly the non-chain grocery stores, like a lot of health food stores around me carry it, and even some of the grocery stores do carry it, but it's just not near all the other cooking oils.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I got a big tub of pure, unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil at the Vitamin Shop for around 7-8$, Ive had it for about 1.5 years and am only half way through the jar!
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • blu_gtar87blu_gtar87 Posts: 47Registered Users
    ok thanks everyone :) im goin to look for some! i hear its good for the scalp and pre-pooing and sealing.

Phone cord curls (dont know what type). Looser in the front and on top (maybe from heat damage?:-|)

Currently using:
    Castor oil
    Ecco styler gel
    I got a big tub of pure, unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil at the Vitamin Shop for around 7-8$, Ive had it for about 1.5 years and am only half way through the jar!

Woah, NICE FIND! Because of this thread I went out and replaced my old oil- it's about a year and a half old now, doesn't feel, melt, or smell the same anymore so I figured it'd be time to get a new jar. The cheapest was a 14oz jar for $11!

blu_gtar87 wrote: »
    ok thanks everyone :) im goin to look for some! i hear its good for the scalp and pre-pooing and sealing.

It's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G for those things! I love how it just soaks right in- it's the only oil I can put on that doesn't grease me out totally. I think there was a curly chemist article about it awhile back about how it does this.

I've heard of coconut being associated with protein for some reason- does anyone know if this is true?

• ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
    Whenever I can't find something locally, I check amazon. They have lots of choices:
    Amazon.com: coconut oil
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • catladycatlady Posts: 12Registered Users
    I found a 14 oz jar at Andronico's for $10.00 in the baking section.
    Medium to course texture
    Slightly porous
    Normal elasticity
    High density
    i finally got some! lol thanks everyone

Currently using:
    Castor oil
    Ecco styler gel
  • 4Melanie4Melanie Posts: 85Registered Users

Have you tried the coconut oil yet????

I wanted to send you a lil note, I use the coco oil on my face to wash all of the makeup and gunk off at the end of the day...while my water is running in the sink (hot) I rub coco oil into my skin and onto my eye makeup then take the hot rag...and place on my skin for a min...works wonderfully.

Also before I go to sleep at night I will put enough oil on my hands to rub into my hair, then bundle my hair up...and in the mornings after my routine, I put a little oil on my hands and use it to SOTC...and I swear it is contributing to my hair growing more than normal

3b....:icescream:
    not for sure about my other "stuff" :wav:
    Still new and trying to get a routine
    4Melanie wrote: »

I wanted to send you a lil note, I use the coco oil on my face to wash all of the makeup and gunk off at the end of the day...while my water is running in the sink (hot) I rub coco oil into my skin and onto my eye makeup then take the hot rag...and place on my skin for a min...works wonderfully.

Also before I go to sleep at night I will put enough oil on my hands to rub into my hair, then bundle my hair up...and in the mornings after my routine, I put a little oil on my hands and use it to SOTC...and I swear it is contributing to my hair growing more than normal

oh yeeah i've used it. i love how it makes my hair feel soft. only thing i have to remember since its really cold where i am to give it time to absorb into my hair otherwise it solidifies lol

im def gonna try it on my face. i was told i needed to start using something :angry3: lol

Currently using:
    Castor oil
    Ecco styler gel
  • Tuchie09Tuchie09 Posts: 388Registered Users
    4Melanie wrote: »

oh yeeah i've used it. i love how it makes my hair feel soft. only thing i have to remember since its really cold where i am to give it time to absorb into my hair otherwise it solidifies lol

im def gonna try it on my face. i was told i needed to start using something :angry3: lol

OP, I love the way you describe your hair haha. When I read "telephone cable" I looked at the telepone in front of me and thought "Oh I bet those are gorgeous!"

I can't wait to try this miracle oil too! :D
    Curly in Okinawa, Japan where only the toughest curls can stand up to this heat and humidity.

My Arsenal:
    Shampoo: Waiting on SM African Black soap shampoo to makes its way to me...
    Conditioner(s): CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, CJ Repair Me!
    Oil: Apricot Kernel Oil
    Stylers: CD Loc Butter for twists, CJAF, CJCQ (haven't figured out how to work this though...)
  • BrittneeAubreex3BrittneeAubreex3 Posts: 309Registered Users
    kind of off topic, but I heard 2 table spoons of evco a day can make your metabolism faster?
    :love2: as of 6/12/11.

COwash- Suave Juicy Apple.
    Rinse-out- VO5 Passion Fruit Moisture Milks.

Recovering from a bad glue-in extension job. :sad7: