Kinky-Curly Come Clean Poo

gigi21gigi21 Posts: 8Registered Users
I purchased a few items last night at Whole Foods and just had some questions for anyone who uses the products.

The Kinky-Curly Come Clean Shampoo - it says on the label the product will not work if you have any oil or butters in your hair. My question: Don't most conditioners (even natural - CG friendly ones) contain oils/butters? How can you be a co-washer and use Kinky curly come clean then? Do you need to use a sulfate poo before the kinky curly poo? If I co-wash daily and use the KCpoo say 2 times per week to clarify will I need to use a sulfate before doing so? I have a ton of condish and most contain oil of some sort.....

Thanks

Comments

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not sure what Kinky Curly is talking about. Come Clean is one of the harshest shampoos on the market. I use anytime I need clarifying so don't worry about not using butter or oils.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • gigi21gigi21 Posts: 8Registered Users

TRANSITIONERS
    All of us at Kinky-CurlyTMwant you to truly love your hair. We want to put an end to the frustration that so many of us experience and help you achieve the healthiest hair possible. Our all-natural styling products combined with the following tips will assist you in creating fabulous style and maintaining healthy hair.
    [FONT=arial black, avant garde]STYLING TIPS[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial black, avant garde]stepbystep.jpg[/FONT]

1: Shampoo - COME CLEAN
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It is very important to REMOVE old product BUILDUP from your hair and start with a CLEAN SLATE. Oils, butters, grease, wax and silicone coat the hair shaft and must be COMPLETELY WASHED OUT. Residue and/or product buildup may cause white film or flakes[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    nm
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure what Kinky Curly is talking about. Come Clean is one of the harshest shampoos on the market.

Exactly what she said!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    gigi21 wrote: »
    I purchased a few items last night at Whole Foods and just had some questions for anyone who uses the products.

The Kinky-Curly Come Clean Shampoo - it says on the label the product will not work if you have any oil or butters in your hair. My question: Don't most conditioners (even natural - CG friendly ones) contain oils/butters? How can you be a co-washer and use Kinky curly come clean then? Do you need to use a sulfate poo before the kinky curly poo? If I co-wash daily and use the KCpoo say 2 times per week to clarify will I need to use a sulfate before doing so? I have a ton of condish and most contain oil of some sort.....

Thanks

Okay...

Don't most conditioners (even natural - CG friendly ones) contain oils/butters? How can you be a co-washer and use Kinky curly come clean then?

If you are a co-washer, then you'd only be interested in using this shampoo (or any shampoo) to remove the buildup.

it says on the label the product will not work if you have any oil or butters in your hair.

When the label says this, it is referring to using the entire system (shampoo, leave in, gel). I don't get the feeling that she made these products to be used separately. So that's why you see that on the shampoo bottle. She wants you to use that shampoo to remove the oils, etc... before using the leave in and the gel.

You gotta remember that when it comes to organic products, you're dealing with the pure substances and ingredients, so it's not necessary to use a whole lotta something like you would with cheap stuff. A little really goes a long way -- as a matter of fact, I use it diluted with water and it still works full strength. So ppl may complain about it being harsh and what-have-you, but don't let that deter you. All you really need is a little bit, and a good understanding of your hair and what it can handle.

Blessings :afro: !
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
    Thanks for all that replied. I guess what I am trying to determine is a "routine"....one that won't mess my hair up more than it already is. I've mentioned in a previous post (under protein sensitive) that I need to wash (or co-wash) everyday. There is no second day hair for me. So, would you please let me know your thoughts on me starting this (below) daily routine and if it would be a detriment to my hair. As long as I know if can't hurt then I can concentrate on the possible benefits!

wash daily = KC POO
    condish daily = KCKT (as a rinse out)
    style/leave in = KCCC

The only thing I need to add to this daily regiment would be a very light hair spray (at least until my hair gets healthier) because currently it is so damaged that I have a lot of fly-aways and various wild curls at varying lengths.

So, would you think this daily process would be OK if I could find a non oil, non protein, non cone hairspray?

If anyone has a suggestion for one let me know!

Thanks!

Gigi
    3b/3c FINE w/low porosity/damaged
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair would be dried out and full of tangles if I used Come Clean every day. I cannot use it at all, though, too stripping for my hair and I do not even have dry hair.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • aliquotaliquot Posts: 227Registered Users
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It is very important to REMOVE old product BUILDUP from your hair and start with a CLEAN SLATE. Oils, butters, grease, wax and silicone coat the hair shaft and must be COMPLETELY WASHED OUT. Residue and/or product buildup may cause white film or flakes[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I think you're misinterpreting this. This means that Come Clean does remove all these things from your hair. It is strong enough that it WILL remove butters/wax/silicones/etc from your hair. As the others said, Kinky Curly the brand is big on not mixing brands because KCCC can cause white flakes when used with certain other ingredients, so they want you to use Come Clean to remove all other products from your hair.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
    ...wouldn't the KCKT help with the tangles?

does anyone out there need to wash their hair daily? Either with a low poo, co-wash or even plain water? I look like I stuck my finger in a light socket in the morning and must shower daily! :geek:
  • aliquotaliquot Posts: 227Registered Users
    I need to at least wet my hair daily...I'm just not comfortable leaving the house otherwise lol
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    nm
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • wavysuewavysue Posts: 363Registered Users
    Fairewood wrote: »
    You can't do this, you can't do that. You MUST use all three KC products together. You must not mix products with other lines or you'll get flakes. If you use too much it won't work. If you use too little it won't work. It takes forever to dry. It creates flash-dry-on-contact.

Based on all the comments I've read over the years the Kinky Curly line seems to be more of a hassle than it's worth, so I've stayed away from it.
    this is making me laugh out loud!!

unfortunately it's true though, and it's not just KC a lot of other products do cause flakes when mixed together. when a mfr. tests their products they aren't mixing it all up they are tested within their line and that is how you get the best results, no residue or build up etc.
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    aliquot wrote: »

I think you're misinterpreting this. This means that Come Clean does remove all these things from your hair. It is strong enough that it WILL remove butters/wax/silicones/etc from your hair. As the others said, Kinky Curly the brand is big on not mixing brands because KCCC can cause white flakes when used with certain other ingredients, so they want you to use Come Clean to remove all other products from your hair.

I agree. I think what they are trying to say is that you need to use their shampoo to clean your hair and have everything washed off before you apply products.

FWIW - I wouldn't use the shampoo, either. There are much gentler products and methods to clean your hair.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    girrrlllll
    Kinky curly come clean is a very harsh shampoo and left my hair feeling stripped! I ONLY use it maybe once every couple of months. It claims to be gentle, but that it isnt! please be cautious because its not very moisturizing!:!:
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You'll have to try the Come Clean shampoo to see how your hair reacts to it - you might love it, or you might hate it. It is definitely clarifying, though, so I only tend to use it once a month or so, and then only if I feel like my usual cleansers (Curl Junkie Daily Fix or JessiCurl Hair Cleansing Cream) aren't getting out build-up.

I wet and style my hair every day, too. No second day hair for me, either! I have gotten to a point where I will cleanse with the Curl Junkie or JessiCurl once or twice a week, and just do a really good water wash with scalp massage the other days of the week. Since I use conditioners and styling products that rinse out easily, I don't need to cleanse more often than that.

As for KCCC needing to be used with the whole line of Kinky Curly products, I say - eh. I've tried them all together, and I've tried the KCCC with other leave-ins and gels, and I've not had a problem with it. Knot Today and the KCCC do play very nicely together, but I don't know if I believe the hype about KCCC not being able to be used over conditioners with butters. Right now, I'm using JessiCurl Too Shea conditioner as a rinse out and leave in, with KCCC on top of that and BRHG to finish, and I have no flaking of any kind. And the Too Shea conditioner is chock full of shea butter and other buttery stuff.

I don't know what your hair properties are, but I would be careful with the Come Clean. The few times I have used it, it has left my hair feeling stiff and straw-like, to the point where I can't get my fingers through it (and I am one who usually has no problems with that and never gets tangles). I immediately follow up with a ton of Knot Today and my hair instantly feels better, but that doesn't mean I want to use the Come Clean every time I cleanse. The Knot Today can be used after just about any cleanser, though, with no problems. Try mixing and matching your products - don't feel like you have to toe the line when it comes to Kinky Curly's recommendations.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you can find more gentle shampoos that clean your hair effectively without stripping. Knot Today cuts tangles but with all the stripping you would need to use a lot which can get expensive.

I wash almost everyday except in winter when I cut back because I air dry and don't want pneumonia. I use KT/KCCC all while sealing with oils and heavy butters and don't get the white flakes or buildup. I guess it all depends on your hair's porosity. My hair is highly porous and soaks up everything anyway so I don't need to clean my hair so hard.

I use Come Clean about once a month or so. I mostly low poo with Curl Junkie Daily Fix, Jessicurl Cleansing Cream, and (when I want something a little stronger) MOP Glisten shampoo.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    Rustina and others~
    Thank you so much for the feedback...my hair can't take any further abuse so I think I'll heed your advice and not use the KCpoo daily. I'm just not sure what to use that is protein free for my daily cleanse. Water wash doesn't do it...and neither do co-washes. I need something that doesn't make my hair feel waxy or oily but instead like product free loose curls. Water wash/co-wash makes my hair feel like second day hair even though it is first day "clean" hair.

Today I washed with baby shampoo first (because I had Matrix Curl Life in my hair which I found out had cones) then I followed with the KCpoo...then the KCKT (as a rinse out) and then a dab of KCCC and while my hair was really knotted and needed a major comb out it ultimately felt thoroughly cleansed and non-greasy today...even soft and shiny.

Also - question....what does "stripped" hair feel like? I'm serious! I keep reading that it left some with stripped hair...and really don't know what that means....just dry?

Also, does anyone need to use a touch (like one spray) of hair spray ever? I live in a windy place so it helps with fly-aways but not sure what brand to use that would be able to be co-washed or water washed out? Thanks!
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I describe my hair as feeling stripped, it means that it's stiff, squeaky, and straw-like. It also feels dry, even though it's soaking wet in the shower. It literally feels like I have a thousand strands of straw on my head. My hair sticks together in these stiff clumps, and I can't run my fingers through it more than a couple of inches before they get stuck.

As for 'poos or cleansers with little or no protein, I can't say enough about the Curl Junkie Daily Fix. It has a tiny amount of protein further down in the ingredient list, and was recommended for me even though I am supposed to avoid most products with protein. If you do a search on the forums, you will find thread upon thread of people raving over it. It is simply the best non-shampoo cleanser I have ever used, and it makes my hair feel amazing. I have also recently tried the JessiCurl Hair Cleansing Cream, and I like that one, too, though not quite as much as the Daily Fix. The Daily Fix is expensive, but I don't use much and I think it's worth every penny. You should check into it.

I don't use hairspray per se, but I do use a touch of spray gel on my hair after it's all styled and the crunch has been scrunched out. I find that it increases frizz for me if I spray it directly on my hair, so I spray it in my palm and then lightly run my hands over the top layer of my hair. Frizz is knocked down and I get the little bit of extra hold that my hair likes. The brand I use is Herbal Essences Set Me Up spray gel. You can find it in most grocery or drug stores, and it's inexpensive.

Hope that helps!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• wavysuewavysue Posts: 363Registered Users
    but I don't know if I believe the hype about KCCC not being able to be used over conditioners with butters.

it's possible that people that notice flaking and other issues aren't every day washers too. it's worth a try to experiment and do whatever. when things go bad, people tend to blame the product rather then look at the fact they are mixing all sorts of things that may not be recommended for optimal results.

to the op you shouldn't have to use KC every day you'd have to have very oily hair to be able to sustain that kind of washing. maybe just concentrate on the scalp area and let the conditioner do it's thing on the length.
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I'm not sure what Kinky Curly is talking about. Come Clean is one of the harshest shampoos on the market.

Exactly what she said!

Yeah, I didn't used to think so, but about 3/4 way through the bottle I realized this! I think I've posted positive reviews for it in the past. Maybe it's just winter, I dunno, but I seriously can't think of a sulfate poo worse than this atm. :sad:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I've had the opposite effect than most with the Come Clean Shampoo. When I first used it, I thought it was very harsh but now it's my go to shampoo.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    I also love the Come Clean shampoo...Everyone's hair reacts differently to products and ingredients...Before all this information came out about c14-16 olefin sulfonate being harsh, I had found an article from the curl chemist stating it was not that harsh. But that has oddly disappeared now... Also, this ingredient is halfway down on the ingredient deck...So even if it is slightly harsher, it is not the main ingredient. The first few ingredients of a shampoo are the largest component. Also, I think IAGirl looked at hairs after washing with Come Clean and the cuticle was not ruffled. Soooo, I think there is a possibility that it may not be harsh on your hair. I love it. Likewise, maybe it is too harsh...I have tried other low poos that others here have LOVED and it made my hair feel like straw. Bottom line...Do what works for you. If your hair feels and looks healthy, keep it up!
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    [URL="http:// www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/cleansing-agents-in-shampoos"]http:// www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/cleansing-agents-in-shampoos[/URL]
    Some anionic surfactants can provide comparatively gentle cleansing to the hair because they do not remove as many oils and fats. Anything with a carbon count above 12 (in even increments) is considered to be less harsh. Some examples of this are sodium myreth sulfate and sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate. Also, sodium coco sulfate, derived from coconut oil, contains a mixture of chains containing anywhere from 8-18 carbons. This makes it gentler than SLS.

Was this the article you were thinking about SegB? I don't find it to be harsher then any other low poo I've tried but I also use it for the purpose of clarifying. I haven't found a truly gentle low poo yet they are either harsh or they leave a film behind that I can't stand. I mostly use Low Poo on my scalp/crown area and just let it rinse through my length. Unless my hair feels especially gunky, conditioner or Daily Fix or some other creamy cleanser is what I prefer on my length.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    [URL]http:// www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/cleansing-agents-in-shampoos[/URL]
    Some anionic surfactants can provide comparatively gentle cleansing to the hair because they do not remove as many oils and fats. Anything with a carbon count above 12 (in even increments) is considered to be less harsh. Some examples of this are sodium myreth sulfate and sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate. Also, sodium coco sulfate, derived from coconut oil, contains a mixture of chains containing anywhere from 8-18 carbons. This makes it gentler than SLS.

Was this the article you were thinking about SegB? I don't find it to be harsher then any other low poo I've tried but I also use it for the purpose of clarifying. I haven't found a truly gentle low poo yet they are either harsh or they leave a film behind that I can't stand. I mostly use Low Poo on my scalp/crown area and just let it rinse through my length. Unless my hair feels especially gunky, conditioner or Daily Fix or some other creamy cleanser is what I prefer on my length.

DEL2C!! That was it! Where did you find it? Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough ;-)

Anyways, that is what I read before...Which states that C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate is less harsh than SLS. And like has been mentioned multiple times on this site, what works for one does not work for others. I have tried low poos that just had coco betaine, and my hair was as dry and brittle as straw.

Using Come Clean in addition to co-washing and the once-a-week sulfate poo, my hair has never been in better shape. It is moisturized and holds the curl. Yesterday our dew point was about -11 and I had spirals...That NEVER happens to me! I have learned so much about how to care for my hair through this site.

Bottom line...Do what works for you!
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
  • genobabegenobabe Posts: 20Registered Users
    I love it too....I use it like once a week/two weeks. If i feel my hair is too built up of anything or if my scalp needs a breather. I personally don't find it drying at all, and my curls are quite bouncy and springy after.

On the flip side, I can't stand KCCC, which people seem to ADORE on here, so as you see, everyone is sooo different. Trial and error. Trial and error.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/b combo fine dry hair w high porosity, normal elasticity & a TON of it!!
    *Overcoming a Brazilian Blowout!
    Cleanser: KC Come Clean (once every week or so)
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner
    Condish: HEHH/KCKD
    Style: AG re:coil/LOOB/HETT
    Treatments: Spiral Solutions-Strength & Shine Leave-In Protein Spray, Repairing Protein Tx & Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Tx, Honeygar Rinses!!!
    Oils: Castor & Olive

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file