Sulfates in VO5 shampoo?

chaskchask Registered Users Posts: 2
So I'm brand new to this site and the idea of no-poo and can't wait to try this method out. However, I'm a little confused about shampoo that is okay to use. I bought VO5 Herbal Escapes in Kiwi Lime Squeeze but noticed on the back the second ingredient is Sodium Laureth Sulfate and the third is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Aren't those bad? Should I be looking for shampoos without ANY sulfate ingredients? I bit confused here, any help is appreciated!

Comments

• porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    Did you buy the shampoo or the conditioner? With a no-poo routine, most people wash their hair with a lightweight conditioner instead of a shampoo. It seems that you accidentally purchased the shampoo. I hope that helps!
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• chaskchask Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying. I actually bought both the shampoo and conditioner since I know I'll need to use a shampoo around my hairline because my scalp tends to get itchy and dry. I think I read somewhere that wavy girls have this problem so I guess I thought I'd keep everything in the VO5 family, but I'm beginning to think that I need to find another shampoo and just use the conditioner. I think that's right. Right? :)
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    If you really want to go the no-poo way, you don't want to use this shampoo. As PP said, going no-poo means not using a shampoo, but a silicone-free conditioner, to wash. You could also try doing the low-poo method where you use shampoos that have no sulfates, but other, less harsh cleansers. Try reading the stickies at the top of the General Discussion thread and the Newbies thread. Lots of great info there.

Here's another good link that explains things in an easy-to -understand way:

The College Curly: Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG: Now Revised and Updated!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    chask wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. I actually bought both the shampoo and conditioner since I know I'll need to use a shampoo around my hairline because my scalp tends to get itchy and dry. I think I read somewhere that wavy girls have this problem so I guess I thought I'd keep everything in the VO5 family, but I'm beginning to think that I need to find another shampoo and just use the conditioner. I think that's right. Right? :)

Precisely. Like curlyserf said, check out some of the links and sticky threads available on the site. You'll find lots of recommendations for products. I'm a wavy, too, and I "low-poo" two or three times a week with a sulfate-free shampoo. You can find lots of product reviews on the site!
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• flutestarkiss9flutestarkiss9 Registered Users Posts: 5
    From what I understand, when you go "no-poo" you will need to use the sulfate shampoo one last time to get all the cones out anyways.

There are some no sulfate shampoos if you want to shampoo sometimes, or create-your-own cleansers.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Right! you'll need to do a final clarifying cleanse, so that $1 'poo won't go unused.

When Curly Girling, most people use a cone free conditioner for washing their hair and scalp; however some use what's called a low-poo. In the first edition of Curly Girl Lorraine Massey said that people with wavy hair and some others would benefit from using a non-sulfate shampoo, nicknamed a low-poo. In the new (second) edition, all sulfate free cleansers are grouped together.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file